VCDS what do I need? - READ BEFORE BUYING

SP36

1 hour ago, grmtylr said:

I've just been in touch with the place I bought my cable.

They can offer £100 trade in against the HEX - V2 but only on the 10 VIN version so it's essentially £100 off a £300 lead.

The old ones are often up on eBay for around the £300 mark so I'll not be going with the trade in.

If you are thinking of going the eBay route be VERY careful that it's  genuine cable as there are lots of clones - and you won't get any support from Ross-Tech (or here) if you have a clone.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

If you are thinking of going the eBay route be VERY careful that it's  genuine cable as there are lots of clones - and you won't get any support from Ross-Tech (or here) if you have a clone.

I definitely won't be buying through eBay, as you say there's far too many clones etc floating around. 

If anything, I'll be selling my old lead there if it doesn't do what I want on the Karoq!

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2018 Superb, I assume for a domestic use best option is HEX-V2, best place/price to buy it?

I'm from Spain so I prefer spanish language, but I don't care if is in English (doubt: could you easily change it later?)

Thanks for all the info you attach!!!

10 minutes ago, Adr85 said:

I own a 2018 Superb, I assume for a domestic use best option is HEX-V2, best place/price to buy it?

I'm from Spain so I prefer spanish language, but I don't care if is in English (doubt: could you easily change it later?)

Official distributor list is here: https://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

If you want it in Spanish, you'll need to buy directly from one advertising it in Spanish (it will also include the English version):

Detlef Trapp - Español!
Franz-Schubert-Str. 10
97464 Niederwerrn,
Germany
+49-179-2066359

VAGINDAUTO Group - Español!
Mr. Xavi Bosch
Carretera de Rub N 350 , CP 08228
Terrassa ( Barcelona) Espa a
Tel: +34 93 731 55 77
[email protected]

If you buy from an English distributor, it will only work with the English VCDS version as it's the distributors who create the translated versions :)

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Official distributor list is here: https://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

If you want it in Spanish, you'll need to buy directly from one advertising it in Spanish (it will also include the English version):

If you buy from an English distributor, it will only work with the English VCDS version as it's the distributors who create the translated versions :)

Thanks a lot for the info.
I'll check prices because the Spanish distributors are more expensives than English and I assume it will be more easy find info in english than spanish.

It is much more expensive over here unfortunately. Comparing direct vs Spain vs UK for example:

3-VIN HEX-V2

- $199 (€182)
- €299
- £225 (€259)

10-VIN HEX-V2

- $299 (€273)
- €399
- £299 ($345)

Guess that makes the Spanish licence approximately €50 or so.

Just be careful, anything significantly cheaper than that is likely to be a cloned interface which is not supported by Ross-tech.

If you know anyone that's going to be in the US soon, they could bring one back for you 😉

5 hours ago, langers2k said:

That has resolved a mystery that I had never understood until now.

I bought my dongle and software from Gendan in the UK, I was told that I could download the French language version from Rosstech but they told me I had to contact the French importer who like many French businesses does not answer their phone or respond to E-mails.

I can see now it would have been a lost cause.

• 4 months later...

@Gizmo

Are all the names on VCDS owners ones with unlimited VIN's?

The reason I ask is because tonight I have just ordered the 3 VIN unit from GENDAN Automotive Products.

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23B.html  It is the £145.00 option I ordered.

I understand it can do some "stuff" on an unlimited number of vehicles. Is the "stuff" it can do of use to any other forum members?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, tetley said:

@Gizmo

Are all the names on VCDS owners ones with unlimited VIN's?

The reason I ask is because tonight I have just ordered the 3 VIN unit from GENDAN Automotive Products.

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23B.html  It is the £145.00 option I ordered.

I understand it can do some "stuff" on an unlimited number of vehicles. Is the "stuff" it can do of use to any other forum members?

Thanks.

No most of the V2 interfaces will be locked. 

you can scan a car without using up a VIN but not code anything. 
Im not sure if it uses a VIN if you clear all DTC’s 

You can read and delete fault codes, do live data, pretty sure measuring blocks, you cannot make any changes without using a VIN up.

£145 or £245?

Edited by J.R.

£145 or £245?

Typo. Yes £245.00. I didn't know what the 4 x 4 was. Since found out and do not need it.

I need to clear the air-bag warning light, there is nothing wrong with the air-bag, I tripped it at the weekend dealing with the instrument cluster. None of the local VCDS members seem to have been around to contact. One of them the only post ever was a request to be added to the list in 2018 (I think). I don't want to be messing about. A local garage wants £60.00 to confirm a fault. Another three faults and I have paid for VCDS.

Ten years ago the GPS dongle failed. I took the roof aerial off to fit it but didn't refit it correctly, so this has allowed water ingress in in increasing amounts. This has caused the instrument cluster LED's to fail due to the high moisture content inside the car.

The car in 14 years has only done 42K. There is not a lot wrong with it overall. Roof aerial, instrument cluster, brake discs. Other than that an annual service.

The last time I worked on a car it was a Ford Cortina either a MK IV or MK V - my mate had a MK IV and I had a MK V. I know from experience I can sort these issues. As I have already spent money ordering parts and lots of tools, ordering VCDS seems like a good idea. I am actually looking forward to getting my hands dirty again. Revisiting my youth.

I just wondered if putting my name forward on the map was  a viable idea.

Thanks for the replies.