Earth point near fuse box

pe2dave

Adding wiring for dashcam.

Unable to find an earth close to the fusebox (under steering wheel)? Suggestions please, or a point I could run to from fusebox?

TiA

• 1 month later...

Here's what I've done. I had a spare dual cigarette lighter extension with a faulty plug, so i stripped off the plug head and crimped on a fuse tap on the positive and a screw terminal on the ground. As i have two power outlets that are switched now, I have added my Garmin back. The fuse I used was 14 which I believe is for the headlights, I might change that to another later on then I start modding the headlights but this will do for now.

IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

If your dash cam power lead isn't long enough, you can use USB extension cables. The metal plate you see in my photo can all be used as ground, that's where the screw goes on to. Hope that helps.

Cable to dashcam was long enough - just that the converter (12 - 5) was too close to the fuse box end? Had to stuff it above the fuses (unless I got out the soldering iron).
Another post idenified the ground - and made it clear the rh panel came off!
Tks tkjeeves