Fabia 2 or Citigo?

briscaF1

Hi,

I've been asked to look at some cars on behalf of a relative but would like to understand a few things from you knowledgeable people!

We have a Fabia 2 1.2 TSI estate on a '14 plate and it's a nice, easy to drive car even if a little boring in the feedback stakes. But, we didn't buy it for throwing it into corners...it's meant to be a long term workhorse. Would we buy another? Most probably.

A relative is now interested in buying a Skoda, too, and they've been looking at some cars. One's a 2010 70HP SE 1.2 (@ about 4k) and the other is a '14 1.2 60HP S at about 5k. Both cars have about 30k miles on them The newer car failed its first MOT (surprising) on a wiper and bulb which indicates poor maintenance but it had an advisory on misting of oil on the front shock absorber.

The 2010 car has passed most of it's MOTs but the last has the following advisories:

Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
n/s front inner steering rack knuckle worn

There's also a Citigo SE they've looked at; 2014 with 16k miles for about 5 grand.

I don't know much about the Citigo although I have had a test drive in one once and found it to be OK to drive but not exactly inspiring. But, they (like me) just want a cheap, reliable car for a few years to come so that doesn't matter too much.

All the cars are from a main dealer.

I suppose the questions are whether people think that the Citigo is a better proposition than a Fabia. I don't think they have a particular need for a bigger car with more space but it's always useful. However, I'm not sure if the non TSI Fabias are significantly underpowered.

Sorry for the long post and I know buying the right car is dependent on a lot of largely subjective factors but does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks in advance

• 5 months later...