Do/How do Skoda cut costs?

I was hoping to get some information on how skoda undercuts their platform sharing rivals.  

I'm a huge fan of Skoda and I'm planning on replacing my swift with an Octavia Now that my daily commute is just a tad under 100 miles. I want something a bit more of a motorway cruiser with increased practicality and comfort. 

I can can remember about 10 years ago being teased by a polo driver for choosing the budget version of their car (Fabia at the time). I joked that under the shell they were the same car to which they replied that this was nonsense and that Skoda uses older components form previous generation production. To what extend is this true and what differences would I notice stepping from day, an Octavia tdi vrs to a golf gtdi for example?

Regards 

The platform, engine, gearbox and other main components are VAG parts. Most of the controls will be VAG too. Nearly everything else is up to Skoda then. Everything from paint with less coats, cheaper interior materials with less fixings, lesser spec parts for suspension components, seats built to a lesser standard all save on costs. Some of these parts will still have a VAG part but maybe built out of lesser materials than a VW or Audi. Even removing one clip from a panel can save a lot money but it won't be as secure and start squeaking later down the line. Change a clip for screw and you save even more money as the assembly time is reduced too. Then you can remove parts completely such as sound insulation.  

I bought my Octavia on the basis that it was a rebadged VW but was disappointed to find the same quality wasn't there. You'd be kidding yourself to belief only the shape and badges are different.

With the huge penalties and compensation claims hanging the VAG group you can expect a lot more penny pinching in the current and future models.

20 minutes ago, CWARD said:

The platform, engine, gearbox and other main components are VAG parts. Most of the controls will be VAG too. Nearly everything else is up to Skoda then. Everything from paint with less coats, cheaper interior materials with less fixings, lesser spec parts for suspension components, seats built to a lesser standard all save on costs. Some of these parts will still have a VAG part but maybe built out of lesser materials than a VW or Audi. Even removing one clip from a panel can save a lot money but it won't be as secure and start squeaking later down the line. Change a clip for screw and you save even more money as the assembly time is reduced too. Then you can remove parts completely such as sound insulation.  

I bought my Octavia on the basis that it was a rebadged VW but was disappointed to find the same quality wasn't there. You'd be kidding yourself to belief only the shape and badges are different.

With the huge penalties and compensation claims hanging the VAG group you can expect a lot more penny pinching in the current and future models.

Yes. I was reading posts to this effect over in the 'what's the biggest threat to Skoda thread.' 

I don't have much experience with any VAG cars, but did notice in a very unscientific test that the sound insulation is one area where they seem to fall behind their equivalents. With the popularity of the many finance options available now, it's something they'll have to be aware of. It's a lot easier to justify the larger some of money for the VW or Audi when you can tell yourself it only going to increase your monthly payments a bit. 

If there is cost cutting it does not reflect in the RRP's of Skodas once SKODA UK have them imported to the UK and at Dealerships.

Skoda is no longer a budget brand by purchase price.

• Like 2