My 2008 MK2 sport TD

Alexh4551

Went and used the cabinet blaster and did all my 17” spiders. Was rubbing them down and checking them over and found a crack on the back of one the alloys. Strange as the tyre pressures never went down.

Off to see my favorite welder tomorrow with a pack of biscuits to see if its repairable. 

9D45E6F7-8130-4DC9-B96E-8671131E19BC.jpeg

57B3E29A-C5C3-4DD9-83E1-232B293E748E.jpeg

E16DFCE2-6086-470A-B93F-270F96FABCE7.jpeg

That's a nice crack, will be nice to weld. It hasn't actually cracked on the air side though so that's why there will have been no lost pressure.

Doesn't look like there's any damage to the wheel though so a strange one.

Cheers Slotty,

I do like the alloys so dropped off the wheel to my welder friend. He reckons it should be fine to repair but has upped his prices.

Instead of a pack of biscuits it might cost me a bottle of Jack Daniels.

pip_vrs - tis a strange one, I dont recall ever bouncing off a kerb or going down a pothole so the crack must have been there the whole time I have had the alloys.

When I get the alloy back I need to decide on what colour they will be sprayed.

3 alloys rubbed down, imperfections have been filled, sanded down again, washed and sprayed with primer. 

Awaiting the cracked alloy to come back and the other new alloy to turn up in the post. 

732029DC-EAA2-4D02-BF94-7DC44B1DD81C.jpeg

• Like 1

Well today has been a good day. Managed to wet sand the three alloys i had prepped inbetween working on peoples cars, welding a ride on lawn mower and boring office work. 

The repaired alloy has returned and it cost me a tenner for the work. Then when i got home i had a near enough immaculate 5th alloy waiting for me along with a few tins of the colour im going to use. 

EF458997-1C1A-4F79-A455-81E3C0E6CB10.jpeg

A4FFEEF5-E990-4242-AE2A-0FB84980925D.jpeg

• Like 2

I know its supposed to be a slow over winter refurb but i have now prepped, sanded and primed the last 2 alloys. They will be wet sanded tomorrow and no doubt have a coat of paint by cease of work. 

10424A8A-B8EA-4A8F-9ADF-BABB4278AD85.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slotty said:

Great Colour Mate...!!!!!

Cheers slotty. 

All 5 are painted and will leave over night in my workshop with the heating on to go hard ready for the lacquer tomorrow. 

9525251C-8FCC-4DE4-A55B-FB9E9E9BE075.jpeg

• Like 2

Awesome looking car. Just got myself an 07 Fabia 3 1.9 tdi to replace my BMW 530d as costs needed to be cut. Tried convincing myself I'd leave it alone as it was cheap but I keep looking to make changes. 

Question for you, do you get much wind noise while driving? My drivers side (I'm sure it's through the door) is so loud! All other doors seems quiet. Road noise is pretty loud to. Wish I had the rear bumper diffuser yours has, looks great!

8 hours ago, Slotty said:

Those winter wheels didn't last too long ;)

What should have taken me a couple of months took a couple of weeks. I blame our work vehicles being to reliable which meant i had too muchspare time on my hands. 

had exactly the same one, sold it as it was too big and I had to remove it too often when we were going somewhere (shopping etc). I now have the 8inch one with 400 watts and built in amp that's quite good and very small.

I loved the sound from VIBE but size was the problem. Although the replacement is smaller, it's still really good and keeps me happy.

:) 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...