Browsers - I've seen the light...

...from the Pale Moon.

Being one of those tiresome old gits that always complain when updates result in new GUIs and unwanted and pointless extras, I've ditched Firefox (after 15 years) and switched to Pale Moon, which basically is FF as it used to be (from the user's view, that is. Under the hood it's different). And it still supports npapi plugins, e.g. the plugin for .djvu files which I often use. The 32 bit version also supports Java (for those few websites that still requires it).

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads up.  I have an old Vista laptop that I still use occasionally (with care!).

I have been looking for a suitable replacement for FF, which withdraws support for Vista later this year.

I have struggled with FF on some Android devices, in fact the latest tablet I have been given is awful with FF, Chrome or the default browser, all of them horribly laggy, especially on graphic heavy sales sites.

Step forward Puffin Browser... at least 10 times faster since it mostly works in the cloud.

It stopped me lobbing the tablet in the bin (or more likely on ebay).

12 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I have struggled with FF on some Android devices, in fact the latest tablet I have been given is awful with FF, Chrome or the default browser, all of them horribly laggy, especially on graphic heavy sales sites.

Step forward Puffin Browser... at least 10 times faster since it mostly works in the cloud.

It stopped me lobbing the tablet in the bin (or more likely on ebay).

I agree that the optimal browser for android is still missing. Tried a bunch: Puffin, Boat, Lightning, FF... right now I stand as Buridan's donkey between Dolphin and Opera. What I want is speed dial, opportunity to sort bookmarks after my own liking, bugfree and fast. Still waiting for it.

I use IceDragon at work which is another FF fork with a security slant.

Still use FF at home with noscript and adblock but often have to switch to Edge for Banking. Banks websites are filled with some complete crap.

I've tried Dolphin and Firefox but ditched both and reverted to Opera for android devices and Chrome for MS devices.

Any thoughts as to how Puffin or Pale Moon stack up against Opera???

I liked Opera when I had really low spec phones -  Opera mini was great for phones with very little memory.

On the devices I have now though, Puffin is faster.

However, the occasional graphic glitch with it is bugging me, but at the moment the excellent browsing speed outweighs all other considerations.

6 hours ago, skomaz said:

I've tried Dolphin and Firefox but ditched both and reverted to Opera for android devices and Chrome for MS devices.

Any thoughts as to how Puffin or Pale Moon stack up against Opera???

My OP praising Pale Moon was written with desktops/laptops in mind. Haven't tried it on my android phone, the GUI lacks what I want, e.g. opportunity to organise speed dial buttons as in opera or dolphin.

I use opera on a lightweight laptop/netbook (Lenovo 100S). Used to use it on phones etc for it's lightweight profile.

16 hours ago, swedishskoda said:

My OP praising Pale Moon was written with desktops/laptops in mind. Haven't tried it on my android phone, the GUI lacks what I want, e.g. opportunity to organise speed dial buttons as in opera or dolphin.

Thanks Swedish

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2017 at 11:43, Robjon said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I have an old Vista laptop that I still use occasionally (with care!).

I have been looking for a suitable replacement for FF, which withdraws support for Vista later this year.

Simple solution - UPGRADE to W7. Forget 8/8.1 and the resource hungry 10.

• Like 2

Win 7 is more resource hungry than 8 or 10.

You might still hate 'em but not for their power needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Not on mine - 10 needs a lot more memory than 7 to run stuff.