Michaelski

Hi horkin,

17 hours ago, horkin said:

Hi Michael yes I had reset the TPMS. I just thought perhaps once I put the extra load in and ran for a while, the tyres warmed and settled and gave a different rolling circumference to the one when I set it which was prior to loading the vehicle. I could be wrong?

Hi horkin,

Then I wouldn't even be able to even hazard a guess at the reason - except to say that that's possibly another illusion shattered.    I was happily sublime in my belief that if one set the TPMS, then the car would consider the settings as the new Nirvana, & only flash up a warning if the R/R's differed from that.

These days, it seems that each time I'm happily settling down to eat my Wheaty Bangs, someone comes along & wees on the bowl or is it that I'm just getting older?

1 hour ago, Michaelski said:

Hi horkin,

Hi horkin,

Then I wouldn't even be able to even hazard a guess at the reason - except to say that that's possibly another illusion shattered.    I was happily sublime in my belief that if one set the TPMS, then the car would consider the settings as the new Nirvana, & only flash up a warning if the R/R's differed from that.

These days, it seems that each time I'm happily settling down to eat my Wheaty Bangs, someone comes along & wees on the bowl or is it that I'm just getting older?

Haha yes these things can be so confusing. Thinking being, I set a tyre pressure and ran them for a while. Then one morning I load the thing up with considerably extra weight. Now the question is does this extra weight compress the tyres and form a different running diameter which would trigger the TPMS.??

The fact that I drove just over a mile before the thing registered makes me think the running diameter altered as the tyres warmed. After adding extra pressure I was able to run over 1100 miles fully loaded and no warnings at all.

Harry.

Hi Harry,

I guess that that must be it - the tyres being more compressed with the extra loading does seem to have an element of the possible explanation  about it.    I'm no expert (you can say that again), but if the R/R is programmed into the "gubbins" then any alteration (even the tyres getting larger, because of the generated heat) may be sufficient to alert the gubbins that something has changed, and to flash up accordingly.

Have to say that I've never experienced any warning myself, even though I do plenty of running around with just myself in the car, & even when there's SWMBO taking up the passenger seat, & on reasonably regular occasions, a 14+ stone son in the back as well - & the tyres not being adjusted accordingly.    I feel quite cheated that the TPMS can seemingly cope with all of these quite substantial variations, but console myself with the fact that I've probably (undoubtedly) only got the Mark 1 coal-fired version.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on whether the "set" function of the TMPS sets a specific value, and it flags if any wheel is different to that, (so will do it if all 4 change) or if it just resets the warnings and it only flags if one of the wheels' speed is different to the others. (so if all 4 change equally, there is no issue)

I always thought it was the latter, and that the "set" button just told the system "what is now is fine"

Edited by Wet Kipper

My thoughts as well, Wet Kipper.   I always believed that resetting the TPMS redefined what was the accepted "norm" for the car.  Otherwise, why have this re-set facility?   There seems to be something "odd" here???

Nothing odd really, 

set the tyres at different sizes / pressures like when you put a slightly different sized spare on and the tpms can be as happy as Larry with no warning.

Set all 4 tyres equal pressure and then set the TPMS and hit a bump hard and you can get a warning, check the 4 tyres and no air lost.

Simple system that helps but does give some safety as in at least people might get a warning false or genuine and they check the tyres, not just leaving them 12 months between services or MOT's or even 2 year services.

Happens you know.

17 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Simple system that helps

I'll totally agree with that statement - the operative words being "a simple system".   Better than nothing, I'm sure, but one really does have to understand just how the Citigo TPMS works, for it to be effective.

Personally, I check all my tyres at least once per month, & the Spare whenever I can be sufficiently arsed to oik out everything out of the boot & dig down to the primeval ooze at the bottom.   A digital tyre pressure monitor is most useful in that respect.

Edited by Michaelski

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys & gals,

Going back to my original enquiry, & as the Skoda info page seemed to be somewhat confusing, I actually emailed Mr Skoda (UK) with a couple of what I thought were relevant questions.    It took a while, but eventually, I was telephoned by a very pleasant & nice young lady, & although her overall knowledge was somewhat lacking, I think ("think" being the operative word) that my questions were eventually answered - but not with any cast-iron degree of certainty.

But in a nutshell, & despite what one may assume from Mr Skoda's configuration site, you cannot (repeat NOT) buy a Colour edition in all the colours that are suggested - the ONLY colours in which a Colour Edition can be bought are: Black White, Green & Blue (although I readily stand to be corrected, if someone has personal knowledge that torpedoes this).     ALSO, it is only the Colour Edition that now offers what was once described as the PID - which includes (according to my informant) all that I currently have on my SE-L.    The SE-L now no longer has anything that it used to have on the Mark I version of the PID: it caters more the those among us who rely on Smart Phones, & with all the facilities that a Smart Phone offers - but as I can't manage a Smart Phone, I'm at a total loss regarding what's on offer.  

The configuration site also "suggests" that one can buy as an extra, the Trip Computer facility, but according to said Skoda informant, that's not strictly correct - in fact it's completely Incorrect.

Willingly or otherwise, it looks as though I'm going to have to break my solemn oath & make a trip to the original Dealer/Stealer, & have a look at whatever MY2017 Citigo's that he may have in the showroom, & form my own opinions as to what's on offer. 

But if anyone out there has personal knowledge that contradicts all of the above, I'd love to be corrected.  

• Like 1

On 01/06/2017 at 13:55, Michaelski said:

Hi Steve,

"hands free radio"???  I can cope (just) with my current radio: whilst pushing a button is well within my limitations, & even adjusting the bass/treble is (although the sweat may stand out on my brow in the process) something that I can eventually get to grips with.  But in my book, "if you can't work it, then you don't need it" - it's served me all through my life.

And of course you must brainwash SWMBO into accepting that a Triumph??? Stag is more of an investment than merely a plaything (it's a man thing).  I always hankered after a Stag myself, but I could never run to buying one.   When I did have a few more shekels, Stags had been withdrawn & Deutschland Uber Alles ruled the car world - at least until the Japanese creed of "Bluy Blitish" made huge inroads, & attracted me.

After long (& hard) thinking, I've decided that for me, the City car route is the only route forward.   Very high 50's/very low 60's mpg in day-to-day running (with mid 70's on a less than a head-down, arse-up run): cheapest insurance: & (until Georgie Porgie's latest abysmal invasion of our wealth) no RFL: comfortable enough (define "enough") though more sound proofing would be welcome: being able to run at the legal speed limit (+50% more if needed) quite technologically-advanced engines (& they'll improve even more in the next 2-3 years) more than enough room for SWMBO & I (& on occasions, one, if not both, or our 6 feet+ sons - apart from having a small boot, I did read that there's as much passenger space in a Citigo as a Fabia?): total (I'm possibly pushing my luck somewhat here) reliability, etc etc etc.  

When I think back to my last car (a TOTR Wolwo) I shelled out £Thousands for some of things that came as standard on the Citigo - like heated seats, sat nav etc.      Nope, I'll happily accept the fact that I won't be able to scorch away from traffic lights, or won't be tempted to utilise the performance

Hi Michael

i'm afraid you've been given incorrect advice, our Colour edition is in Tungsten Silver with Black wheels, unless the nice lady at Skoda was simply indicating that the only Colour edition available now in U.K. Stock are those she quoted. Ours was from the dealers MY17 stock

Hi Awayoffski & SteveJP.

To Awayoffksi - it will be (current circumstances not changing) a 2018 that I will go for, but Santa's Little Helper at Skoda (UK) did not (repeat NOT) differentiate between a 2017 & a 2018 model.   I assumed therefore that there wouldn't be a major change to an 2018 model - & if there is going to be, then my SLH didn't mention this.   And as it took several years for there to be any real changes to the Mark I model Citigo, I didn't really anticipate that there'd be further changes in just one year.   Could be (hope that I am) wrong though.

And to Steve JP,   This is what I'd initially enquired about: SWMBO has stipulated that she'd "like" (in otherwise will demand) a Tungsten Silver model.  I thought that I'd been pretty explicit in my questions, but as I said, she wasn't really a mine of info - part of the delay in getting back to me, was because she'd had to consult with "others".    But when I'd gone onto Skoda's own "configure your own Tonka Toy", having metallic Silver was there as an option.

Just goes to show, when in doubt, do not consult with the hombres that sell the things, but speak to someone on Briskoda instead!!!