Which one to get

In answer to your question to me, it looks as though the best solution is to have a " pedal box " fitted.  Now I haven't done this yet, as it's a Motability vehicle, and I'm guessing the insurance cover may be compromised.  However, the thought of another two years with this issue is bothering me.  Sport setting does help slightly, but it's not really a solution.  Hope this doesn't put you off, because the Superb is a great car, and I do honestly love mine.

Does the SEL have automatic wipers and headlights? As I drive with hand controls these features are more or less essential to me.

36 minutes ago, Fatso said:

Does the SEL have automatic wipers and headlights? As I drive with hand controls these features are more or less essential to me.

Yes it does. Although sometimes I have to prompt the wipers. Maybe I prefer a cleaner windscreen than Skoda!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, facet edge said:

Yes it does. Although sometimes I have to prompt the wipers. Maybe I prefer a cleaner windscreen than Skoda!

Same here, they are not the most responsive at times.  Even with the windscreen and sensor well covered in rain and with the car is above the speed at which they are supposed to work, they still need a prompt sometimes.  One thing I do like however is when the sensor will recognise if you are in a car wash - the automatic wipers deactivate themselves for that period.  Its on the MKII as well which is a nice touch.

23 hours ago, killie97 said:

Now I haven't done this yet, as it's a Motability vehicle, and I'm guessing the insurance cover may be compromised.

It's a plug-in which does not enhance the engine performance, only the response. I have yet to hear of an insurance provider alter its cost/cover because of it (unlike chipping/remapping which enhances the engines performance).

@Rainmaker has one fitted in his Motability vehicle so I don't see that being a problem. At the end of the day it can be plugged/unplugged in under a minute.

Thanks for that BillyJim.  Sounds like a " goer " then.  Was a bit wary of contacting Motability and being knocked back.  Think will contact Rainmaker to confirm that no issues with hand controls.  Cheers.

So, I've just ordered a Skoda Superb 220 TSI DSG SEL Executive hatchback. I blame @Rainmaker and @Sagalout :biggrin:

I've worked out that it might cost me £12 a week more for my usage at 20,000 miles a year, which I can live with.

My local Tesco sells Momentum 99 at 4p a litre over standard unleaded, and the nearest Shell garage sells V-Power 99RON at 10p over that. Will my new car be ok on Momentum 99? I did see a post where @Rainmaker had had trouble with some. Also, will standard unleaded (95 RON) be ok occasionally if I can't get the good stuff?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Fatso said:

So, I've just ordered a Skoda Superb 220 TSI DSG SEL Executive hatchback. I blame @Rainmaker and @Sagalout :biggrin:

I've worked out that it might cost me £12 a week more for my usage at 20,000 miles a year, which I can live with.

My local Tesco sells Momentum 99 at 4p a litre over standard unleaded, and the nearest Shell garage sells V-Power 99RON at 10p over that. Will my new car be ok on Momentum 99? I did see a post where @Rainmaker had had trouble with some. Also, will standard unleaded (95 RON) be ok occasionally if I can't get the good stuff?

Congratulations, and welcome to the club. Tesco Momentum 99 is fine mate, just try to use a busy garage. I did have a couple of flat tanks but it was always from one particular garage that I don't use any more. You will be fine with 95 when you get stuck, so don't stress about that. That said there is definitely more low down pull, a livelier top end and better MPG on the 99 stuff.

More important imho is to keep the engine worked. The tendency with these turbo petrol engines is to roll around everywhere on the torque low down. Even the DSG will change up below 2,000rpm if you're only using a light throttle setting. That's all well and good when you're pootling around town, but for the love of all things holy once the oil is warm give it some graft! Using manual or sport mode to hold low gears on hilly roads, dropping to 2nd to stretch to the red line when accelerating back to NSL etc will keep the engine clean and help keep it breathing. It'll also relax things and keep it acting eager, as well as more economical overall. 

You don't need to hammer it all the time and every drive, just enough stick on a longer run to get everything hot and keep it loose and easy. The high octane fuel helps with this, especially in the warm weather, but again isn't totally essential. The car, by law, can run perfectly well on 95 RON. It's just a bit better again on 99. 

• Like 1

I would second everything Rainmaker has said. Any of the 'premium 97/98/99' fuel will give a better feel to the car but it would run reasonably well on regular 95 if you chose to use that all the time. So dont worry too much. Use the premium stuff when you can and from any reliable/well used outlet. I have used Sainsburys 97 for the last two fill ups and it is running just fine. 

• Like 1

OK, cheers guys. It's been a while since I had a petrol and I'm just used to putting the nearest, preferably cheapest, diesel in my car. I might have to think about it a bit more now.

My car will mainly be cruising on the motorway, but I'm between the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales, so it will get a bit of a clear out now and again :)

I'll just have to go and read through the running in TSI engines thread now while I'm enduring the wait for delivery.

I'll also have a look in the VCDS options thread, any tips about what can be done?

17 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

better MPG on the 99 stuff

maybe also money per distance,
in Latvia price difference is 0.05 euros when compared 95E vs 98E,
in that case 98E wins, and not only MPD,

it is also cleaner, without "eco-bio" additives, what's better for engine lasting.

in performance didn't noticed huge diff

20 hours ago, Fatso said:

I run my 280 on Tesco Momentum and its fine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prykey said:

I run my 280 on Tesco Momentum and its fine

I hate T+*&£s but do use the fuel.

• 2 weeks later...