Hello all

Skoda_newby

Hello everyone.

I have just taken delivery (well, I went and got it) of a delightful 2002 1.9tdi Octavia Mk1. I must say I have been quite charmed by this car already. I (hopefully) got quite a pearler. It has done only 67,000 miles and had a pile of receipts etc. to back it's seemingly well cared-for existence.

Basically I needed a car to do the run up and down the M4. Prior to this I was reluctantly using my 'pride and joy' - a BMW 4 series which before this job (which entails a 130 mile round trip), was never my intention to put so many miles on. I currently have this for sale.

Back late last year, a colleague of mine had a 2000 1.9tdi A4. It had 230,000 miles on the clock and ran extremely well. We used to use this car in a car share scheme. But earlier this year he left, so I set about trying to find a replacement. And here I am.

A bit about me: well I'm on this forum because frankly I can't help myself; although I refer to my new purchase as my company 'hack', I and everyone I know are quite aware that it will be cared for in a way that does not align with it's intended purpose. So, it's started already, I've bought new mats, last night I reset the gear-change linkage (it seemed a little tight going into 5th once it warmed up) and I need to fix a non-closing ashtray and broken armrest latch. Then I'll be changing all the fluids and filters. I am an Automotive Engineer and am happy to crawl around and under a car.

I've been looking at this forum for the last few weeks and it's an impressive source of information. I hope to learn lots, and more than that, I hope I can help anyone else as my knowledge improves.

Edited by Skoda_newby
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JED said:

Hello Skoda_newby welcome to the forum 67'000 mile's just run in .:)

Yes, thanks Jed, I have just put some cleaner through and giving some runs up and down the M4. Then I'm changing the engine and gearbox oil. The shifter seemed a little stiff, so I did the linkage reset (thanks to this forum) and it seems a good deal better. I'm sure the new oil will help as well. I want to get the most out of my new bus.