dsg gearbox use

I'm probably wrong but I seem to have read everything about the DSG gearbox.  Only one thing worries me and your comments will be very welcome.

How difficult is it to reverse uphill and in particular to do so with very fine control.  I often have to kerb park on a hill and getting in requires an uphill reverse.

Do people find it so difficult that they refuse to even try as I read on one website.  Have most people developed tricks to cope.

Is it a case of getting the hang of it and if so what is the hang of it.   I get my Fabia with DSG on Monday and can barely wait.    Test drive was fine but gave no chance of a reverse uphill with control measured in millimetres and at the time I was not aware of the "problem" some people have.

Many thanks.

I have a very steep drive that I sometimes need to reverse up to get through my inner sanctum high security gates here at Starfleet. I have no difficulty regulating my speed which at times requires me to inch backward whilst manoeuvring very slowly. No problems whatsoever! It just requires you to get used to controling the speed entirely with the right foot. You may need to practice but it's like anything, you will get used to it pretty quickly. These dsg's are great! Have fun!

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1

Well HIR, I don't know how steep your hill is but I often park on a fairly steep hill where I have to leave in reverse on the uphill slant. I have the DSG with the 110 HP engine. I let the engine run for a about 30 secs when I am leaving when cold, then select R and let the back end rise a little before releasing the handbrake and giving a little throttle. This gives a smooth start but sometimes, if the temperature is low, I am aware of the engine/gearbox combination surging and slipping, but the car moves smoothly. This is only on the slope and as soon as we are on the flat, it runs normally. I have parked on all sorts of inclines both forward and reverse and it does need a bit more care than a non-auto. You have to allow a little time for the clutch(es) to engage but you can counter that by using the handbrake. Select reverse, take your foot off the footbrake and wait for the rear of the car to rise, then release the handbrake. Reverse gear is extremely low, as is first gear forward. I think that you generally have to think a little ahead at all times to allow the gearbox and clutches to operate, it's only a fraction of a second but it makes a big difference if you are in normally-moving traffic. Using the handbrake against the automatic clutches lets you choose the instant you start to move far more accurately than otherwise. I hope it is not causing any damage to the gearbox. Reversing up hill is not the problem, the problem is judging the exact moment the car will start to move. I hope that helps. The DSG is good but it has its own personality and generally it's judging the time delay that is a problem.

• Like 1

I have the 110 DSG and my drive is a slight incline which I reverse on to every day. It is very easy to control reversing up a hill! Even if I stop too soon all you need to do is release your brake and with the auto hill assist (standard on all DSG) my car will just slowly move off, you of course must hover over the brake ready to apply when you have reversed far enough. It is very easy also to release the brake slightly if you want fine accurate control and you can literally crawl up a hill this way.

It is a lot easier than a manual.

You will love it!

I have been driving a DSG-equipped car for 4 years and over 34K miles.  Never had a problem reversing uphill and my car does not have hill-hold.  As previously said, you have to get used to controlling the speed with just the accelerator (rather than also slipping the clutch in a manual car).

I am a real fan of DSG and will definitely have it in my next car.  However, I would not have DSG without the steering wheel paddles.

On 18 May 2017 at 19:39, philbes said:

I have been driving a DSG-equipped car for 4 years and over 34K miles.  Never had a problem reversing uphill and my car does not have hill-hold.  As previously said, you have to get used to controlling the speed with just the accelerator (rather than also slipping the clutch in a manual car).

I am a real fan of DSG and will definitely have it in my next car.  However, I would not have DSG without the steering wheel paddles.

Why not without paddles when you can manually shift with the gear selector, just by moving it to the left in D/S and then jogging it forwards or backwards, by a very small amount?  Just interested. 

53 minutes ago, alltorque said:

Why not without paddles when you can manually shift with the gear selector, just by moving it to the left in D/S and then jogging it forwards or backwards, by a very small amount?  Just interested. 

With the paddles there is no need to move the selector into Manual in order to over-ride the selected gear.  For example, when preparing to overtake the left paddle can be used to change down one or more gears before starting the overtake.  When the overtake is complete then a pull on the right paddle changes up and, if the paddle is held, return to Auto.  No need to remove a hand from the steering wheel.  Likewise, selecting a lower gear on a downhill descent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philbes said:

With the paddles there is no need to move the selector into Manual in order to over-ride the selected gear.  For example, when preparing to overtake the left paddle can be used to change down one or more gears before starting the overtake.  When the overtake is complete then a pull on the right paddle changes up and, if the paddle is held, return to Auto.  No need to remove a hand from the steering wheel.  Likewise, selecting a lower gear on a downhill descent.

Fair comment and each to his own.

One of the things I like about these latest 7 speed DSG boxes is how intuitive they are over the earlier DSG's. In my area there are number of very steep hills, and some not so steep ones. Yet the auto box is never caught out either going up or down a hill. For example, when going down a hill the car will often just drop down a gear or two to provide engine braking. Going up an incline , again the box is 'thinking' well ahead, dropping to the gear it needs in good time, all without any jerkiness or noise. One of, if not THE smoothest auto I've owned...and I've had some very good one's.

• 1 month later...