Cruise control stopped working! Fabia mk1 1.9tdi

My cruise control recently stopped working on my Mk1 Fabia 1.9tdi 2004 and I had read that the one reason for this is that the contacts can get dirty inside the stalk causing it to stop working.

I decided that I would try to take the the stalk apart to clean them up to avoid buying a replacement stalk.  I apologise for not taking pictures of the process but will try to explain the procedure!

1. Disconnect the battery!

2. With the stalk left in situ, use a very thin blade to carefully tease out the thin strip on the rear of the arm, starting at the inboard end nearest to the steering column. Don't go too deep with the blade as you may damage the ribbon cable which is just inside. Two blades will make this easier as you work along to the tip of the stalk, taking care not to snag the ribbon cable.  The back is slightly harder to come off at the larger end behind the ON/RES switch. Just take your time and eventually the back will release immediately behind the button on the end of the stalk

3. Gently remove the ON/RES slider switch by putting a blade under it and levering (If it hasn't popped off already!)

4. You can now access the switch. In order to clean the contacts, you could try just using an electrical contact cleaner but mine was so caked up, I decided to strip the black slider part of the switch by very carefully lifting the tabs that hold it to the switch track. There is a spring behind here so go careful and note where it goes, and also note the slider part position (with the sprung contacts). This allows you to clean the small brass square contacts and also the sprung brass contacts on the slider part. Re-assembly is the reverse procedure but be sure that the spring goes back in!

5. The end button contacts can also be cleaned by carefully squeezing the 2 small triangle shaped plastic sprung 'tangs' together that hold this to the main part of the switch, and you will then be able to pull it off the end. Again, there is a spring to note the position of. Clean the small brass contact squares and also the brass sprung contacts of the end button. To reassemble, push end button back in (don't forget the spring!) until the two triangle tangs locate.

6. Reassemble the arm by pushing the switch and rear backing strip back into place until the tabs click into place, ensuring that the ribbon cable does not get trapped.  Replace the slider switch on the front of the arm (make sure it locates into the mounting hole correctly)

7. Reconnect car battery.

Hopefully this will work for yours as it did for mine, if your cruise control is not working due to dirty contacts.

• 1 year later...

I had intermittent cruise control for a long time on  a 2005 Fabia TDI and was considering a replacement stalk with switch.

However removing the back plastic strip and switch from the stalk revealed the problem.

As mentioned above be careful with the connecting electric tape,but if you click this out of the back cover switch it makes the switch dismantling a lot easier.

Note the order of the parts or photo the assembly before you take it to bits,the whole switch can be dismantled.

Cleaning the contacts may cure it,but I found the 4 brass contacts under the sliding switch needed gently bending out to make firmer contact on their strips.

The reset button also has three contacts which will need opening out as well.

They should be held in place in the button by their own springiness.,but if they are loose this may be the whole problem.

If this little set of 3 contacts is loose it will keep resetting the cruise control or not allow it to be set at all.

Use the tip of a watchmakers screw driver or tip of a small penknife to get it out.

When the contacts have been opened out it can be clicked back into place.

Finally...

If you have done a thorough cleaning job the contacts will need the smallest amout of vaseline on them,too much will cause deposits to build up because 12 volts does go across the contacts. Also a very small amount on the spring and pluger under the slider.Nowhere else.

If you are methodical and think it through it isn't that difficult,the result will be a perfectly operating switch and cruise control and no cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched mine for Golfmk4 one. I don't need to slide it to off position, just to press brake or clutch pedal and it deactivates automatically. The one problem I had was with ABS controler modul. It had error on it and ECU didn't allowed me to use CC as it tought the car had brake failure.