I thought it might be useful to share my experience (and understanding) to date with some of the Skoda Connect 'concept' 

I have an iPhone which Of itself is not a good start. There as I understand it two ways Bluetooth works the best system is RSAP (remote sim access protocol) whereby the car connects to your phone by directly accessing the SIM card when this is combined with an in car phone system you effectively have a proper car phone and the signal strength etc becomes the same as an inbuilt car phone this system was originally designed by Nokia and is not supported by Apple. The second is where the Bluetooth provides a link for the microphone and speaker to your car audio and in car microphone (Apple). Got my music from the iPhone and 'car phone' working fine in the Kodiaq.

in terms of using the iPhone to connect to the Internet this is where I am having issues! I had registered for Skoda connect prior to going to pick up the car but even if you have not please be aware that in order to set this feature up you will need to sign up to Skoda connect when you collect the vehicle. As part of this process they will then send you an email activation link so you will need to be able to access your emails when you are collecting the car.

i am struggling to connect my iPhone to use as a hotspot to access the Internet for Skoda Connect. I have however found that when at home and setting the system up it was more than happy to connect to my home wifi whilst parked on the drive which made things easier. As I understand it this may be useful for map updates for the satnav as these are large files.

i have also had a play with the routing system in Skoda connect. To set up routes you first need to set up all of the destinations, you MUST click on Activate for each destination (otherwise it does not download to the car) you then crate a route selecting from your previously stored destinations to create your route (again remember to activate the route) these will then download to the car.

the satnav so far has been disappointing as it seems to struggle to find some postcodes and addresses I think that re in there but the search seems a bit weird I would be interested on how others get on?

I have not had the adaptive cruise control before and if you a ordering get it the system is fantastic it makes driving so much easier and is really good one small point which I did discover was that having set it to 70 it worked well and kept my distance from the car in front, when others cut in it slowed the car to maintain the distance I had requested and even brought the car to a halt by itself (with my foot poised over the brake pedal) BUT when following a car at 70 and then pulling off onto an empty slip road the car not unreasonably says ok you want 70 - no traffic - off we go then!

Jukebox - whilst the car will connect to your iPhone for music and in mine has a cd/DVD player you can install music onto the head units memory. It has an 11gb memory with maximum file capacity of just over 3000 files. The unit did not seem to want to load music via the cd unit so I downloaded my iTunes library (bear in mind size of head unit memory) onto a USB key (I also downloaded a few ripped movies in MP4 format onto the USB) I then imported this lot to the Jukebox and the music and films all worked fine.

i have been on a touring holiday and the car has just done 1000 miles and is really good it is a 2.0 diesel non 4WD and has averaged 55mpg. Next project it to look at installing a dedicated Sim to get the Skoda Connect to work properly. If you decide to go down this route.i would suggest you check out Tello for the SIM card. You buy chunks of data but it does not time expire and I have used it in one of my other cars the loaded sim was £20 and it has so far lasted about 8 months and is still going strong.

look forward to hearing others experience!

Modorator

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Having a good play with connect at present. I was hoping that I'd be able to upload a kml or itn file with a pre-prepared route, but alas, no. Yet again a car manufacturer fails to implement even the most basic features from a £50 aldi special sat nav into a built-in system costing thousands of pounds. Do these people never actually use the products they build?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with moderator. The adaptive cruise control is essential on Britain's motorways. I also think the reversing camera is a must have. 

After spending several hours with an Android phone and Skoda connect I still have problems getting it to work. Not all Skoda's fault because the phone is just as awkward to set up. The manuals are not that helpful.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking for a Data sim there is only one route to go

www.tello.co.uk 

I bought a £20 sim for my MMI on my Audi A8 and I have now been using it for 10 months, as long as it is used (which it is for me on traffic updates)

there is no expiry. I still have £17.48 in credit - No Brainer!

• 4 weeks later...

For info, on the Tello UK website there is a banner at the top of the page stating "Starting January 31, 2018 Tello UK services will no longer be available. Please contact our Support Team for assistance during the port-out process. Thank you!" so you may want to look at other providers.

• 4 weeks later...

I get delivery of my Kodiaq in 2 weeks so I don't know the answer obviously lol can I connect my iPhone to the connect and use my phone data allowance as I have 16gig a month and never use this so hopefully I don't need to waste money on anymore sim cards?