Could there ever be a Citigo vRS to compete !? Skoda CEO hope you have the balls

vrskeith

3 hours ago, ronime said:

Not at £17K it doesn't. That's Polo GTI money.

New model Polo GTI out end 2017/early 2018 with 2.0ltr will probably start at around £20k lining up with the New Ford Fiesta ST 1.5 cyl pushing out Nearly 200bhp at similar money. Automotive inflation!!

Autocar quote £15 k,so who will be correct.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-volkswagen-gti-officially-revealed

Carmagazine quote something else.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/volkswagen/new-vw-up-gti-2018-revealed-in-pictures/

Edited by vrskeith

My reference point is the current Polo GTI at £15.5K OTR with a realistic discount.

I would fork out an extra £1K and have the DSG version.

Edited by ronime
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This VW GTI Up is doing it for me but I so wish I could go to a Skoda Dealer and purchase its equivalent Citigo vRS

There has to be a big enough market for both to live in.

Personally i do not care who does one be it VW, Skoda or Seat but a Warm or Hot Up!MiiCitigo with the hot hatch suspension, braking, steering and the choice of a DSG is what is required.

Not everyone wants a Polo / Ibiza sized car for having fun.

They VW Group have the Brands VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda with the Motorsport Heritage & success, Skoda Motorsport Success especially yet no small Skoda Hot Hatch or even warm hatch available.

As it is if the VW Group did allow one it will likely cost VW Polo GTI money, but then some will pay that or near that for something special.

Maybe more than spends money on buying the likes of Audi S1 or other small numbers sellers that VW Group produce.

£18,000 for a Small Hot Hatch is much nicer than over £28,000.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vrskeith said:

This VW GTI Up is doing it for me but I so wish I could go to a Skoda Dealer and purchase its equivalent Citigo vRS

There has to be a big enough market for both to live in.

You could always de-badge it and place a Skoda badge on it. Same with wheels change them to Skoda Citigo ones etc. 

It would be a good little project, making you unique and stand out from the rest 

46 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

You could always de-badge it and place a Skoda badge on it. Same with wheels change them to Skoda Citigo ones etc. 

It would be a good little project, making you unique and stand out from the rest 

Like that idea for my Skoda Project in 2018.

This move by VW...& family as George has suggested. might just get BMW to really seriously consider taking the Mini back to it's roots and not the heavyweight things we have today . Having a small hot hatch VW group range , Mini ..... etc might just be the way to  get back to having some real chuck able fun, without over doing the bhp!

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vrskeith said:

Like that idea for my Skoda Project in 2018.

This move by VW...& family as George has suggested. might just get BMW to really seriously consider taking the Mini back to it's roots and not the heavyweight things we have today . Having a small hot hatch VW group range , Mini ..... etc might just be the way to  get back to having some real chuck able fun, without over doing the bhp!

How about something like the old BMC Mini ? (updated, but without adding too much weight to it) with the 1.4 TSI engine fitted - and a decent LSD.

• Like 1

1.0TSI with DSG is going in Polo, Fabia & Ibiza it would quite easily go in the Up!MiiCitigo.

The current 2 pedal ASG 'thing' that the VW Group produce must really be an embarrassment to them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

1.0TSI with DSG is going in Polo, Fabia & Ibiza it would quite easily go in the Up!MiiCitigo.

The current 2 pedal ASG 'thing' that the VW Group produce must really be an embarrassment to them.

I have seen several reviews that suggest that the DSG is not a good pairing with the smaller engines.

Having driven Leon Mk3s with the 1.8TSi and 1.2TSi engine paired with the same 7-speed DQ200 transmission I would say that with the 1.8 it is almost perfect but my experience with the 1.2 left much to be desired. If I had driven the 1.2 first I would almost certainly not have considered speccing my Leon 1.8 with DSG.

Just goes to show how people have different experiences or opinions.

The 1.2TSI DSG in the Mk3 Fabia is very nice IME, and i will be surprised if the new 1.0TSi is not even nicer.

• Like 1

I see it'll be slower than the Lupo GTi - so much for progress.... ;)  - on the plus side I'm sure it'll have a glovebox and a boot light :D  - my Lupo GTi (first registered 2005 - one of the last) didn't have air con and still came with a cassette player - I had to do a side deal with the salesman for a VW CD player / changer that had somehow fallen into his hands...

Edited by Brian69

• 2 months later...
On 30/05/2017 at 22:15, ronime said:

I have seen several reviews that suggest that the DSG is not a good pairing with the smaller engines.

Having driven Leon Mk3s with the 1.8TSi and 1.2TSi engine paired with the same 7-speed DQ200 transmission I would say that with the 1.8 it is almost perfect but my experience with the 1.2 left much to be desired. If I had driven the 1.2 first I would almost certainly not have considered speccing my Leon 1.8 with DSG.

The Leon 1.2 DSG that I drove was a fairly new hire car in Gran Canaria last year. Fast forward a year and a bit and we are in Gran Canaria again and I have just taken delivery of a hire car today.

This time it is a SEAT Ibiza with the 110PS 1.0 TSI engine and 7-speed DSG gearbox. It's a revelation. Much better than the Leon 1.2 we had last year. I am very impressed and am seriously thinking about this engine and gearbox combination in a 3-door Ibiza or Polo when the time comes to replace the Citigo.