Julian Assange

Thoughts?

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the rape allegations against Assange, it is clear that the UK government have been subserviently following the instructions of the USA here (at our cost).

The stand-off is completely disproportionate to the rape charge against an Australian that happened in Sweden.

The UK has become a state where the police do the work of the politicians, in other words a totalitarian state.

And it sickens me.  I have no particular liking for Assange but I hope he gets away from this situation simply because I despise what our government are doing.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

Well the English Court System and English Law still needs to be dealt with by Mr. Assange.

You can't just go and not appear when you were instructed to just because some embassy gives you protection in England.

• Like 1

No, it's really only about the rape allegations. He's done everything he can to avoid extradition to Sweden, hence hiding in the embassy which has no extradition treaty with Sweden or the EU. 

If he's innocent, why go to such lengths? 

Let's hope he doesn't upset the ambassador else he's screwed. No way to get to Russia without being arrested. 

IMO he's no hero, but a vile individual. That's before we discuss the leaking of sensitive information which puts our troops, allies troops and our national security at risk. 

Edited by gadgetman
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

No, it's really only about the rape allegations. He's done everything he can to avoid extradition to Sweden, hence hiding in the embassy which has no extradition treaty with Sweden or the EU. 

IMO he's no hero, but a vile individual. That's before we discuss the leaking of sensitive information which puts our troops, allies troops and our national security at risk. 

IIRC he has always said that he didn't want to go to Sweden as he could then have been extradited from there to the US. As to him being innocent or guilty of the rape charge is another matter but one which could have been a stepping stone in the extradition process.

As for the information 'which puts our troops, allies troops and our national security at risk' - would you rather do this?

Head+in+the+sand.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, john999boy said:

IIRC he has always said that he didn't want to go to Sweden as he could then have been extradited from there to the US.

Yes, it always puzzled me why the Swedish authorities didn't simply give him a cast-iron guarantee that if he returned there to face the rape allegations that they wouldn't extradite him.

Then he'd have had no reason not to go and confront his accuser.

But they repeatedly refused to do so.

Now why do you think that is?

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

Probably because they would have extradited him.

Sweden only gets to be Independent because it does what it is told by whoever tells it too.

They might hold all the money for which ever superpower wants them to, they just don't really sit in a position to defend themselves.

The Nordic Countries are all the same, without the US ready to jump in they would be sunk.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

The Nordic Countries are all the same, without the US ready to jump in they would be sunk.

Sadly that applies to the UK as well.

Our nuclear missiles, for example, are rented from the USA and cannot be deployed without the permission and, more crucially, the co-operation of the USA.

Yes we know that, and they do not work, and it is all a con just like the banking system.  So what is new batman?

18 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Sadly that applies to the UK as well.

Our nuclear missiles, for example, are rented from the USA and cannot be deployed without the permission and, more crucially, the co-operation of the USA.

Another BS myth.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/no-america-doesnt-control-britains-nuclear-weapons/

LOL, you know or believe what you are told.

No deterrent is a deterrent if you were to say it is crap, broken , gubbed, useless, you have to keep those you are deterring guessing.

It might all work, but then the world ends as we know it.

Do you think that the US of A will let Jeremy Corbyn have control if the Labour Party wins on June 8th.

Actually Theresa May is a bit of a mad bint as it is but funnily the religious ones are right up for wiping out the innocent.

1 hour ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Yes, it always puzzled me why the Swedish authorities didn't simply give him a cast-iron guarantee that if he returned there to face the rape allegations that they wouldn't extradite him.

What authorities? The Swedish CPS cannot give any guarantees, since extradition is a matter not for them but for the Swedish Government/Department of Justice. Correspondingly, Government won't give any guarantees concerning CPS investigations, that would be unconstitutional meddling (Sweden, as other Scandinavian states, are a bit odd in that respect - state authorities such as the CPS have a high degree of autonomy and do not take orders from ministers or departments. "Ministerial ruling" is about the worst offence a Swedish cabinet minister could commit).

Maybe we all should put our tin foil hats away till we really need them?

Edited by swedishskoda

4 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Let's hope he doesn't upset the ambassador else he's screwed. No way to get to Russia without being arrested. 

+1

Did Assange really think that the countries he leaked the info from weren't going to come after him? He got himself into this mess and now he's got a bigger problem because he can't leave the embassy because he'll be arrested for beaching the bail conditions, then the US will probably go for extradition.

• Like 1

Just now, moley said:

+1

Did Assange really think that the countries he leaked the info from weren't going to come after him? He got himself into this mess and now he's got a bigger problem because he can't leave the embassy because he'll be arrested for beaching the bail conditions, then the US will probably go for extradition.

I think the US has its own issues with Trump and Comey to deal with at the moment.................

With Assange being an Australian i am sure he has eaten plenty of crap in the past.

Not exactly the picture of health even before being put up in his current B&B.

Imagine if he had been in the Scottish Embassy in some country he would be dead by now.

• Like 1

I always had the impression the rape allegations were somewhat of a 'convenience'.........if there's nothing else, try this.

A small factor of delayed outrage.

Edward Snowden released a video (allegedly) of US forces engaging contrary to the rules of engagement as laid down in the Geneva Convention

He got seven years. The video was pretty damning.

What's Assange got (if anything)?

Is Assange a publicity seeker? Is he guilty? Why is he hiding?

TBH he looked like a bit of a self obsessed crusader on the balcony, holding his fist in the air.

Not sure what his game is.

• Like 1

He's just possibly not as bad as Donald Trump.

John Pilger (Google apparently doesn't rate non-Americans) isn't liked by anyone either.

The world is a swamp when it comes to national priorities and there is no place low enough to drain to.

Having a murderous regime like (Sunni) Saudi Arabia as your friend, a terrorist harbouring country, as a partner in the war AGAINT terrorism, is somewhat of a compromised position when it comes to lecturing Shia denominant countries about the benefits of democracy.

6 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Is Assange a publicity seeker? Is he guilty? Why is he hiding?

TBH he looked like a bit of a self obsessed crusader on the balcony, holding his fist in the air.

Not sure what his game is.

If I was accused of rape and knew I was innocent I would want to make sure I was cleared and not run away and hide.

As an Australian citizen I don't know why he didn't go to the Australian embassy in Stockholm or London for help? 

Next time he steps onto that balcony there might be a red dot on his forehead.

2 minutes ago, moley said:

If I was accused of rape and knew I was innocent I would want to make sure I was cleared and not run away and hide.

As an Australian citizen I don't know why he didn't go to the Australian embassy in Stockholm or London for help? 

One might suggest that is a somewhat naive understanding of the situation.

The Swedish extradition treaty exists for a purpose.

Would Sweden give up one of their own on the basis of a convenient charge which seemed to be an afterthought?

27 minutes ago, moley said:

It's probably underdtanable that he didn't think he'd get a particularly fair trial for anything, after all he's been releasing embarrassing secrets about major western powers for years. I think he was willing to go back to Swedent to face the rape charges, it was extradition to the USA that he was apparently worried about.

But also he clearly is an attention seeker that enjoys being the story. I know he comes across as a crusading hero to some, I think many more think he's a ****er.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Aspman said:

It's probably underdtanable that he didn't think he'd get a particularly fair trial for anything, after all he's been releasing embarrassing secrets about major western powers for years. I think he was willing to go back to Swedent to face the rape charges, it was extradition to the USA that he was apparently worried about.

But also he clearly is an attention seeker that enjoys being the story. I know he comes across as a crusading hero to some, I think many more think he's a ****er.

Or maybe he waved the "extradition to US" flag because he worried about a rape trial that could be a massive blow to his (self-)image. From his earlier comments it seems as if he thinks that sex with Julian Assange can never be non-consensual.