Retro fit reversing camera

Hi, Having had the car for a year i wonder as its a L&K if its possible to retro fit the reversing camera-- believe the wiring is all ready in place ? dealer says its a factory job on building it, so no can do.

The camera and a wiring pack are shown in the Superb 3 accessories brochure so that would suggest that either the brochure or the dealer are off the mark as usual. However, I dont know for sure so hopefully someone with the tech will be along shortly to help you.

Having now spent some time looking at Google i have found that this question has been asked before ! Unless i get it wrong its a pig of job !

however i found this ,--http://www.carsystems.pl/skoda-superb-iii-3v0-rear-view-camera-with-guidance-line-wiring-harness,id2241.html

Dont think i would take up the offer of visiting their workshops ------ they are in Poland !

Hi,

I sent an Email to another local dealer regarding the retro fit of a camera . Now i have seen mention of a "high camera" & a "low camera" but they say there's only one camera & that there's doubts as to wether this camera would show the ( factory fitted) tow ball. Still they quote £425  plus £21 for a wiring harness... 

Well after much "faffing about" the ( car ) supplying dealer now says yes they can fit the camera -- but a deposit please ! they want ( all in ) £441 .Given that the camera is listed as a factory option ( we tried to add it but were too late ) at £300 thats not bad --- i watched on you tube how to do it ....................

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david 1220 said:

Well after much "faffing about" the ( car ) supplying dealer now says yes they can fit the camera -- but a deposit please ! they want ( all in ) £441 .Given that the camera is listed as a factory option ( we tried to add it but were too late ) at £300 thats not bad --- i watched on you tube how to do it ....................

Can I ask which dealer that is? Alex Laurie in Liverpool or Mitchells?

Hi C.B. 

short answer -- both !  They both have quoted the same price so there must be some sort of price list, a dealer  ( in Germany ) quoted 3 hours to do the job.If you are wondering whats involved have a look at this ,--

Its a Superb 2 combo seems much the same as a 3

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, david 1220 said:

Hi C.B. 

short answer -- both !  They both have quoted the same price so there must be some sort of price list, a dealer  ( in Germany ) quoted 3 hours to do the job.If you are wondering whats involved have a look at this ,--

Its a Superb 2 combo seems much the same as a 3

Cool - thanks. My main omission was front parking sensors - I think they can add these at dealer level, but it's horribly expensive. Haven't asked for a specific price yet...

I've done 2 times retrofits to Superb 3. Both RVC high with sparying nozzle.

What I can say, there is no factory wiring for that, however the wiring is very simple to do, worst is just pass the connection between the lid and the body.

I have no rear wiper in place, so I needed to go with the water pipe to the reservoir at the front. In that case - there is need to replace the pump and the stalks on steering wheel.

Works fine. If the camera is second had (used one), there is no need to calibrate. For Superb fiits as well the camera from Touran.

More pics, on our polish forum:

http://www.superbclub.pl/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7940

48 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Cool - thanks. My main omission was front parking sensors - I think they can add these at dealer level, but it's horribly expensive. Haven't asked for a specific price yet...

Yes I would like the front sensors. Had a look online and there doesn't seem to be any one near me who fits the oem sensors.

I'm a bit scared to ask the dealer as well!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Yes I would like the front sensors. Had a look online and there doesn't seem to be any one near me who fits the oem sensors.

I'm a bit scared to ask the dealer as well!

Hello facet edge,

Try http://www.mobileincar.com/ based in Hampshire for retrofits.  I've recently had a Westfalia detachable tow bar fitted by Paul and I know he also fits sensors, cameras etc using genuine VW group parts.

Sorry to post on someone else's post, is it possible to add this rear camera on standard SE octavia  model from 2014?it doesn't have any sat nav? Answer is probably no but just in case.... 

Hi,

As i understand it you have to have the Columbus with Sat Nav. 

Went ahead this afternoon & booked the car in at mitchells ................. ( looking forward to my bacon butty ! )

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/26/2017 at 17:09, david 1220 said:

Hi,

As i understand it you have to have the Columbus with Sat Nav. 

Went ahead this afternoon & booked the car in at mitchells ................. ( looking forward to my bacon butty ! )

Did you get this done at the dealers, my 2017 L  & K Superb estate is at the dealers, it's awaiting a warranty part ( new Columbus screen) I was thinking I could get this done whilst it's there, will be another week to 10 days until it's delivered. What was the final cost?

Hi,

Yes you are correct, the dealer at first said it could not be done --- its a factory fit job. However when i posted on here a number of members pointed out that   A) its listed in the " add ons " by Skoda  &  a number of them had it done.  I recontacted my dealer who looked into it & they said yes it was possible. I ordered it ( had to pay up front ) the dealer arranged with a VW dealer to get it calibrated as they could not justify the cost of the equipment for what might well be a " one off"

They fitted it only to find that the VW dealer was telling " porkies"--- they didn't have the calibration equipment ! To be honest i haven't noticed any problem --- reverse till the red line is on the object behind you & you are 10" away.

Advantages,

1) can reverse up to our ( caravan ) tow bar-- no yelling & shouting ( see below for drawback )

2) it has three settings , the above ( normal ) plus wide angle for reversing out from between two large objects. & a strait down view for coupling up.

Drawback,-

If the sun is shining ( does sometimes ! ) from the front of the car towards the back the tow bar/coupling are in shadow & look like a black "lump" ( believe camera is a 2M.P. one ) you have to look close to make out whats what.

Cost ,- this is the strange bit-- cost the same as it being fitted on the production line !  All in - £ 300 ( early 2017 )

Had to wait for it ( the camera kit ) to come from the factory. ( seem to remember took a week )

Assessment,--

Great !  no regrets ( other than the poor definition )

david

So, I purchased the full kit last week from TPS including the harness for the estate using part numbers from the accessory catalogue.  The installation instructions are fairly straightforward but the steps put me off from installing due to time taken (Dealer time is 3hours - 300 units) and not having somewhere to leave it.   Notably, the installation recommends removing the boot lift motor if fitted (I have L&K with it) and talks about partially removing and bending the headliner.   For RHD vehicles the cable runs across the rear seats, along the bottom trim and into the unit so no messing with the centre console, etc.  It also recommends disassembling the video and control plug to pull it through - that didn't look straight forward and risk of error dissuaded me further.

Local dealer quoted 369 for three hours of fitting and two hours of calibration.   The calibration kit is available to them on hire (Or you can buy for a grand and a half ;-) at some point next month.   Dealer insisted that calibration was essential and part of the install job.   I do wonder how they do this in the factory?  When you look at the calibration notes it talks of measuring distances, wheelbase, etc which seems nonsense when the car has fixed mounting location and one would expect they flash a standard calibration into it and not faff around (Cant imagine there's a special calibration process in factory due to the low volume?).   All in all its an expensive add-on but my wife only has accidents going in reverse so it will hopefully pay for itself in the longrun :-D

I'll post up full pictures, install guide contents and associated notes this weekend.

Edited by nodigital

As mentioned earlier, my camera was not calibrated. And apart from a fault when scanning with VCDS everything was perfectly fine. 

Yeah, that's what I initially thought would be the case - the camera would have some element of preset calibration out of the box because its model number is for a specific vehicle.  The dealer was adamant that calibration was a necessary part of the installation and a two hour process.  The price was such that it was only 60 quid for the calibration when compared just to the pure install costs from the other dealers in the area so figured it was worth the expense and I couldn't argue from experience against the 'expert'.  The install would also be properly warranted so another aspect to consider.

This is the calibration procedure for those interested.    I did wonder if it was possible to just print and layout the exact same pattern as the calibration board and the onboard cal routine would detect the pattern?

Calibration1.png

Calibration2.png

Calibration3.png

Calibration4.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello, i am needing a reverse camera retrofitting into my 7 month old Sportline Estate.

My dealer said it cant be done......they wanna sell me a Dash cam kit instead lol.

Anybody know a dealer in my area (east midlands) that can do this? Or any members up for doing it?

V