Thanks for all the help and goodbye...

Hi, just to say thanks for all the help over the last two years. I'ts a great forum even though I haven't been posting much over the last year.

I am leaving Skoda. Car has been great but my driving has changed a lot over the last year. I now cycle or walk to work and do not need the space, so Petrol for me now.

Best wishes to you all, Nigel.

Edited by eagerv
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, williamshatnerspants said:

All the best (from one cyclist to another) 

Matt

Thank you, it.s a very energetic ride.. takes all of 3 minutes..!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

That's a nice commute!  Good luck!

Thanks Superb170, see you around..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, eagerv said:

Thanks Superb170, see you around..

Somebody will get a nice used Magnetic Brown Superb!  Got back into cycling myself recently after years away from it.  Its nice to swap the car for the bike sometimes.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

Somebody will get a nice used Magnetic Brown Superb!  Got back into cycling myself recently after years away from it.  Its nice to swap the car for the bike sometimes.

Yes, probably the best cared for car I have ever owned. One tiny stone chip on bonnet, otherwise showroom. Only 33K Kms.

Enjoy the cycling, but I will own up to the bike also being electric assist.:biggrin:. Almost a neccessity here where I live with the hills.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eagerv said:

Yes, probably the best cared for car I have ever owned. One tiny stone chip on bonnet, otherwise showroom. Only 33K Kms.

Enjoy the cycling, but I will own up to the bike also being electric assist.:biggrin:. Almost a neccessity here where I live with the hills.

I wish I only had one stone chip.:D

• Like 1

On 2017-5-22 at 13:00, eagerv said:

...so Petrol for me now.

Skoda do petrol engines too!

What marque can possibly be good enough to become a turncoat!?

:D

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Skoda do petrol engines too!

What marque can possibly be good enough to become a turncoat!?

:D

Only a lacklustre 1.2 TSI here in the Octavia, or the full blown Superb which is mega money.

Ireland was almost totally diesel, though this is starting to change.  The tax system ecouraged people to buy diesel, also it's about 15C cheaper at the pumps.

VW are selling the 150 Hp TSI I think in the Golf, but not a Golf fan.

Ford have the 1L Focus with 125 HP but not the 150 like in the UK.

The new Honda Civic has been launched with a very full spec which I have bought. 182 HP from a 1.5L turbo. Hope to have in the next few weeks.

I love the looks, some don't. it's certainly a very smooth performer. They also have a 1L 3 cylinder 127HP model, which will probably be a great seller here.

So there we are, if Skoda had something similar for similar money I would stay with the marque.

Edited by eagerv
  • Like 2

Yes, unfortunately in Ireland we only get the Superb in 125bhp 1.4 TSi form (in base Active/S spec only) or the 280Tsi with nothing in between.  As Eagerv says, the system here encourages people towards diesel however that trend is thankfully beginning to change a little.  As soon as the 1.4 150bhp Superb becomes available in Ireland, I think we will see a shift and about time too.  Far too many people duped into buying diesels when their mileage was no where near what it needed to be for diesel.  I know several people doing less than 15K kms a year, most with DPF issues as well on slightly older models.  Some interesting petrol and hybrid options out there now and if I wasn't doing 40K+ kms a year, I think I might be seriously looking at them myself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eagerv said:

Only a lacklustre 1.2 TSI here in the Octavia, or the full blown Superb which is mega money.

Ireland was almost totally diesel, though this is starting to change.  The tax system ecouraged people to buy diesel, also it's about 15C cheaper at the pumps.

The new Honda Civic has been launched with a very full spec which I have bought. 182 HP from a 1.5L turbo. Hope to have in the next few weeks.

I love the looks, some don't. it's certainly a very smooth performer. They also have a 1L 3 cylinder 127HP model, which will probably be a great seller here.

So there we are, if Skoda had something similar for similar money I would stay with the marque.

Will you wait for a 172 plate?

2 hours ago, Superb170 said:

Will you wait for a 172 plate?

The deal I did a while ago was for the 171 Plate. Though it could be 172 when my car arrrives. If Honda have in 171 then I will have to take car.

If I loose my place it could be Nov before I get a car.

21 hours ago, eagerv said:

Good call on the Civic, in a world of Vauxhall Astra's and Ford Focus's the Honda Civic does a good job of standing out from the crowd.

If I remember correctly the previous generation suffered issues with rearward visibility through the split rear screen and was sometimes criticised for its unforgiving suspension. Hopefully they've addressed these on the latest version.

Do they still have the magic rear seats, a great idea for those wanting to transport their bicycle inside the car and still have the boot free.

I'd have a petrol tomorrow if I wasn't doing 30,000 miles a year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Good call on the Civic, in a world of Vauxhall Astra's and Ford Focus's the Honda Civic does a good job of standing out from the crowd.

If I remember correctly the previous generation suffered issues with rearward visibility through the split rear screen and was sometimes criticised for its unforgiving suspension. Hopefully they've addressed these on the latest version.

Do they still have the magic rear seats, a great idea for those wanting to transport their bicycle inside the car and still have the boot free.

I'd have a petrol tomorrow if I wasn't doing 30,000 miles a year.

Rearward vis is still not the best, but far better tha the previous model. And you have 3 camera angles to help with parking.

The suspension has vastly improved. Multilink rear suspension now makes the comfort and handling up with the best. Also adjustable dampers should be fun.

It feels as comfortable as my Superb and definitely quiter with less road noise. Not as big of course inside, but externally it's nearer the previous accord size than last model Civic.

Magic seats have unfortunately gone. Now rear seat passengers have room for their feet under the front seats with the fuel tank being moved from here to under the back seat.

Will miss the Superb, but with my changed driving a petrol makes better sense. (After nearly a million miles on diesels!)

Edited by eagerv
  • Like 1