Best options for touch up paint

hpoom

I have a Dragon Green Skoda Superb. I had GTechniq Crystal Serum applied to it when new. It is doing a good job of making the car easy to clean and protecting it. Despite this I have picked up two stone chips on the bonnet and today come out to find my car has a small scratch on the passenger door.

I want to touch up these small paint issues myself, as I can't keep paying for detailer quality paint repair when the car will keep getting based in car parks (I really angers me that others don't treat my car with respect but what can you do?). In an ideal word I would take it to KDS once a year and get it repaired but that would really break the bank.

Also the paint I have Dragon Green (colour code LF1Y) has no official touch up pen available from Skoda. So what is the best DIY solution for me to repair the car myself? Is it ChipEx or DrColourChip. What would people recommend, and is it easy to do yourself?

Possibly try a paint from another manufacturer.  'Lime Squeeze' from the Ford Fiesta may be a good place to start, but possibly too green. 

A local smart repairer may be willing and able to mix you up a small pot. 

I think to simplify my long wall of text above my questions are two things.

1/ Can I make a good job of using a DIY touch up paint solution. If I take enough care and time and watch enough YouTube how to videos, can I do it well or will it always look rubbish?

2/ Assuming I can do a DIY solution well, and Skoda don't do a touch up paint for my car, who should I use? (Are ChipEx any good?)

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, hpoom said:

Wrong paint code. I am looking for LF1Y, that is LC6P. Thanks for the suggestion.

My race blue is 8x8x but I think you get 3 paint codes also listed under that colour? I'm not sure but basically I'm sure race blue can also be another paint code? send them guys on ebay a message & ask them about the paint code that you require :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

I am still trying to answer the question of if I make a good job of using a DIY touch up paint solution? And is ChipEx recommended or can anybody recommend another option. I have searched the forums and see mixed results for ChipEx.

Cocktail stick and slowly gently approach.  Let the paint 'fall' into the chip you're trying to fill.   Filling in stone chips is never going to look 100% IME but you can easy do an "I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point them out" type job. 

Unfortunately VAG paint appears to be be getting softer but Skoda at least seem to be using something slightly more durable than SEAT.   

• Like 2

Guest FurryFriend

I share your annoyance with the casual disregard others have for our cars. 

My pet hate is the very small number of absolute thick, lazy retards who push their shopping to their car, offload it into the boot, and then drive off leaving the trolley loose in the car park, because they can't be bothered returning it. 

If it should subsequently roll or be blown into THEIR car, they would probably be the first to kick off about it! 

But paint chips imho are best left well alone unless they have gone through the base coat. I've never yet found an 'invisible' way of concealing them. Either the paint is ever so slightly, but noticeably off original colour, or the resulting attempt to cover them is always visible. Best to just leave them. 

As most body shops will probably tell you, the only way is to respray the whole affected panel. But again, in my experience, that panel then looks different to the rest of the car unless it's done by a very good and usually very experienced paint sprayer..... and it's a sadly disappearing skill. 

Just park well away from others seems to be the only way round it, but of course not always possible. 

Is there a website to find the actual colour of my car as I've just had a idiot bump my car luckily it's more of a skuff on the bumper and I need to sort this out and I want to buy a paint stick but I don't know the colour and the code I need because I don't want to buy the wrong one and have to post it back and all that 

thanks guys 

On 2017-5-22 at 13:38, hpoom said:

I have a Dragon Green Skoda Superb. I had GTechniq Crystal Serum applied to it when new. It is doing a good job of making the car easy to clean and protecting it. Despite this I have picked up two stone chips on the bonnet and today come out to find my car has a small scratch on the passenger door.

I want to touch up these small paint issues myself, as I can't keep paying for detailer quality paint repair when the car will keep getting based in car parks (I really angers me that others don't treat my car with respect but what can you do?). In an ideal word I would take it to KDS once a year and get it repaired but that would really break the bank.

Also the paint I have Dragon Green (colour code LF1Y) has no official touch up pen available from Skoda. So what is the best DIY solution for me to repair the car myself? Is it ChipEx or DrColourChip. What would people recommend, and is it easy to do yourself?

Did you manage to get one? (F1Y) 

Thx

10 hours ago, Lyminton said:

Did you manage to get one? (F1Y) 

Thx

Not yet. ChipEx tell me they can do the colour but not yet ordered.

2 minutes ago, Lyminton said:

Confirmed! £32.94 inc delivery.

Thank you for reply.

Do you also need Dragon Green touch up paint then? Would be good to compare notes and see how we both get on with touch up. Maybe Direct Message me?

Also I have not yet ordered so not sure if I will hold out now and see how you get on or order anyway and see what happens.

I do need to touch up the stone chips I have as I see them every time I walk up to the car which upsets me :sadsmile:

Edited by hpoom

Just now, hpoom said:

Do you also need Dragon Green touch up paint then? Would be good to compare notes and see how we both get on with touch up. Maybe Direct Message me?

Also I have not yet ordered so not sure if I will hold out now and see how you get on or order anyway and see what happens.

I do need to touch up the stone chips I have as I see them every time I walk up to the car which upsets me :(

Once I've got it, I'll post some pictures..

• Like 1

Yep ChipEx gets my vote, bought loads in a variety of colours for various brands and all have been a very good colour match.

It's also handy that the clearcoat is part of the colour pot which saves faffing about a few hours later with clearcoat as you would do with a manufacturer supplied kit.

cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

One of our cars had some areas of light scratches/scuffs on the paintwork,I closely inspected them last week (been waiting for some nice weather LOL),being an older car I did not want to spend a lot of money on resprays etc,but I realised that most of the damage was probably to the clear lacquer rather than the paint base coat.

So i applied clear lacquer using a small artists brush and am happy to say that the car looks much better now,if I look closely at the touched up areas I can see the scratch edges but for an older car that is fine and from a few feet away the scratches are invisible.

• 1 year later...
On 10/06/2017 at 13:49, Lyminton said:

T-up landed and... looks O.K.

Just waiting for the weather to clear...

DRAGON.jpg

Hi. Can you tell me what product that exacly is and how it looks when you aply it to the car. Many thanks. I need one too..