Gearbox

1 hour ago, huwants2no said:

I think your right.impression i got was they didnt check whole lot.just figured lets change clutch

Another local place i can contact and see what he reckons. Im no expert but as you say why does it find 1st,2nd,5th no problem.mainly 3rd the problem and sometimes 4th

Will see what 2nd guy thinks...but frustrating this

It sounds like a bias spring problem in the shifter. Does the gear lever rest in the middle, so you can move it forward and backwards between 3rd and 4th? Can you get someone to operate the lever while you watch the links on the gearbox end?

• Like 1

On 2017-6-28 at 14:28, octyal said:

It sounds like a bias spring problem in the shifter. Does the gear lever rest in the middle, so you can move it forward and backwards between 3rd and 4th? Can you get someone to operate the lever while you watch the links on the gearbox end?

When at rest it does sit between 3rd and 4th

What am looking for while someone else shifting gears?

Can I check on the bias spring you mention??

Have it booked in with another guy for Monday morning.

Was having a look at the linkage on gearbox and thought I'd unbolt the slave to see was it leaking inside. As I backed off the 2 bolts it felt like the slave was pushing itself out,like it was on a spring inside...does that make sense or sound right?

At the time I lost my bottle and just tightened the bolts back in as I thought I mite not be able to get it back in,as in hold it in and get bolts back on while it's pushing back out and not much room there as I hadn't moved anything else out the way.i didn't expect it to be pushing itself out like that:)

You've been great help so far fellas,thanks

Is it possible to say manually move the gear selectors on top of the box and go thru the gears a number of times to see if it still struggles with 3rd and then if it's fine there I would know the problem comes from the cables or something on that end of things?

What you are looking for when somebody shifts gears is free movement in the cable ends due to wear in the bushes that fit over the transmission linkage, so that means that the cable is moving but doing nothing to the box end.

Also look for any other areas that are moving a lot in any bushes but not transferring the movement.

You can also look for play in the bush that sits around the gearlever ball and is black and white in colour. With the gearlever gaiter raised, you can also shine a torch down into the hole in the remote casing, and see any movement in the cable end bushes connected to the bottom of the lever, both side to side and fore and aft.

That sounds a bit odd about releasing the slave, usually they only get a little "sticky" sliding over the protective boot/sleeve. It could just be your clutch mechanism has self adjusted itself near it's full extent meaning the clutch fork is using more travel at the top of it's free play point. This may be why the garage are suggesting a new clutch?.

Edited by kentphil1

Also, just had a thought, there is a bearing in the tower that supports the gearselector mechanism that can fail. you can normally confirm this by trying to move the linkage mechanism in a side to side plane - like the points on the compass, there should be a little movement to allow it to move, but not mm's worth if you get my drift.

A bit more info on my poor instructions - http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk1/power_transmission/manual_gearbox_02j/gearbox_mechanicsoperation_constructiondiff./disassembling_and_assembling_the_gearshift_mechanism_on_the_gearbox_side_as_of_05.99/

Edited by kentphil1
  • Like 1

Exactly what Kentphil1 says - you are looking for movement that shouldn't be there.

12 hours ago, kentphil1 said:

It could just be your clutch mechanism has self adjusted itself near it's full extent meaning the clutch fork is using more travel at the top of it's free play point. This may be why the garage are suggesting a new clutch?.

Unlikely, otherwise he would have issues with all the gears, not just a few. The self adjusting mechanism doesn't work like that, it keeps the same pressure on the drive plate throughout it's life, and also keeps the same bite point as well. When they reach the end of their life, you will usually get a hard pedal at the bottom of it's stroke (or it will slip).

14 hours ago, huwants2no said:

Was having a look at the linkage on gearbox and thought I'd unbolt the slave to see was it leaking inside. As I backed off the 2 bolts it felt like the slave was pushing itself out,like it was on a spring inside...does that make sense or sound right?

At the time I lost my bottle and just tightened the bolts back in as I thought I mite not be able to get it back in,as in hold it in and get bolts back on while it's pushing back out and not much room there as I hadn't moved anything else out the way.i didn't expect it to be pushing itself out like that:)

You've been great help so far fellas,thanks

That sounds about right. The slave would have the push rod pushed back into it's body further than necessary to allow some degree of reserve travel at full extension, otherwise when you operate the clutch it would be constantly hitting it's end stop.

On 28/6/2017 at 15:38, huwants2no said:

Left car in with local garage this morning for an hour or so.he just rang back saying clutch needs to be replaced and they won't know till after clutch replaced but possible damage to gearbox also.

Would I not have had clutch starting to slip or other signs or does that sound feesable

I have only read small bit so far about the conversion kits but when I mention this to the guy this morning he say they don't recommend

Quoted me 300 for the clutch kit (DMF) and 150 labour

Is a second hand gearbox an option or is it pointless as mite be in bad shape itself??

What you guys think,would you be happy to go with that assesment???

For a start just reset the cable and see.... even if you change the clutch make sure the cables are reset and the lever play is eliminated.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update as im on way down the countryside here and little or no coverage...

Car was in garage couple weeks back and guy said he bled clutch again (told him i had also) and made no difference. He reckoned felt like pressure plate problem

Since leaving there its gotten progressively better. Gone from struggling to get 3rd gear bout 75% the time to hardly ever have problem now. I try and be gentle with her best i can

Cars due NCT next few weeks and i know there area good few things need sorting. Bushes,think wheel bearings,couple new tyres,the list goes on:(

The kids regularly say "Da, u need a new car"  cheeky sods they dont appreciate old classics!

Anyway, for now shes holding together

• 6 years later...
On 29/07/2017 at 11:49, huwants2no said:

Just a quick update as im on way down the countryside here and little or no coverage...

Car was in garage couple weeks back and guy said he bled clutch again (told him i had also) and made no difference. He reckoned felt like pressure plate problem

Since leaving there its gotten progressively better. Gone from struggling to get 3rd gear bout 75% the time to hardly ever have problem now. I try and be gentle with her best i can

Cars due NCT next few weeks and i know there area good few things need sorting. Bushes,think wheel bearings,couple new tyres,the list goes on:(

The kids regularly say "Da, u need a new car"  cheeky sods they dont appreciate old classics!

Anyway, for now shes holding together

What was the issue then?