1.6 FST or 2.- TDI

Dear All,

i would like to buy a 2007 octavia (elegance) 

i have 2 on offer now - a 1.6 FSI that has 69000 miles and 2.0 TDI that has 79000 

both for same price

i am no expert so i would like to know which one to get ? 

Whilst I'm no expert I do run a 1.9tdi because although I don't do the mileage to warrant a diesel I just love the way they drive

I'd have thought the petrol version ought be considerably cheaper than the diesel car 

maybe you ought to try both back to back and see which one you prefer

Well they're both very different engines.

I guess it comes down to your driving style and needs.

Lots of long journeys and/or weight/towing then the 2.0 TDI is for you.

If you just do 2 miles to the local Tescos then avoid the 2.0 TDI as it will not like that and likely break quickly!

The 1.6FSI is a good reliable and simple engine. If lacking in the power and MPG department.

Usually the diesels are a little more expensive, especially the 2.0. Strange that only 10.000 miles brings the price down to being the same as a petrol. 

I am just like davidwhite here, I prefer the diesels because of the way they drive but you might be better off with the petrol if you do a lot of short trips. I have been living 3 km away from work for about 7 months (winter months) and I can tell you my 2.0 TDI was not happy about those daily short trips - I could feel it. Every now and then I would take it to a long morning detour just to warm it up. Fortunately, no breakdowns because of this but who knows what the future holds beause of those 7 months...

I now live 25km away from work and the car is much happier with the commute :)

I've been driving a 1.6 FSI Elegance (07) for ten years and found it to be reliable and economical (current average on maxidot is 42mpg). Obviously, the 2.0 TDI will be a rather different driving experience. If possible, drive them back to back.

Out of interest, what is the price?

Diesel for longer trips, significantly more torque and more power.

Petrol for lighter conditions (not meaning it can not manage it well...), shorter trips will no affect long time reliability and also no diesel debris and smoking internals..so hopefully meaning cheaper servicing..