Smartlink/smartgate

JCP

I am about to take delivery of a 1.2 dsg Drive SEl and am organising details. I looked at the brochure??? and found Smartlink and Smartgate. I have asked for both and have been told smartlink is fine but smartgate can't be loaded. The car is already built but new and my question is is the dealer right and does it matter. My present 2013 L&k has the MDi fitted which I understand and like. I am looking to achieve something like the same functionality as the ipod which used to live and thrive in my present car. I do know about SD cards and that the new Amundsen has a slot. So what I want is info about compatability other than that.

You want smartlink which the dealer can enable and will connect to phones or tablet duplicating certain apps on the radio screen. Costs  the same as when included on a factory order.

Smartgate is a system to get more information about how the car is working. Can't see much point in that myself

• Like 2

Thank you I had an inkling that might be the case but find your reply helpful and convincing. Quite excited about picking up my 3rd Yeti on Wednesday albeit a bit rueful about my decision that at my time of life a less powerul DSG is more suitable I now do about 5k miles a year and many fewer long trips and I am less sure of the utility of 200 bhp which until now I had regarded as a a baseline.

Edited by JCP

On 2017-5-22 at 22:06, JCP said:

...a bit rueful about my decision that at my time of life a less powerful DSG is more suitable I now do about 5k miles a year and many fewer long trips and I am less sure of the utility of 200 bhp which until now I had regarded as a a baseline.

We're on our 4th Yeti and our 2nd 1.2 DSG.  Prior to the current Yeti, we had a Superb 4x4 Estate 170 BHP with DSG.  Performance wise, we took the 1.2 Yeti to Austria in July last year and this January and I never noticed any deficiencies when compared to the much bigger and more powerful Superb.  Indeed I would say it was both quieter and smoother.

John

Thank you for a sympathetic and valuable post. So far the response of the DSG and the sweet power delivery mean I am finding the performance more than enough.

john

I had Smartlink and Smartgate installed, Smartlink is great for Android Auto or Apple car play, Smartlink is ok to play around with if you want extra details on the car performance, but novelty soon wears off, also I found it interfered with my phone when getting traffic info for google maps.

Can anyone advise me how I get smartlink installed and how much it costs. Though it would be handy since I don't have sat nav. Would I be cheaper buying a sat nav ie TomTom or Garmin.

Yes, you would.

Smartlink costs about £150 to setup, you can get a decent standalone sat/nav for less than this.

However, whether via AA or CarPlay, smartlink delivers more than just 'sat/nav' !

It's for you to decide if you have a compatible phone etc.and if the additional cost is justified.

Thanks Graham47 what do others use smartlink for, interested bystander.

Got a quote fro Arnold Clark Skoda Inverness for £121 inc vat plus £31.68 labour to set it up. So that sounds about right.

• Thanks 1

I have had contact with Skoda Customer Service to see if my Yeti was compatible for a retro fit of SmartLink, and they said no.

2 Skoda dealerships have said yes and both quoted around £150 so a bit confused anyone know how I can get clarification on this.

Why not let the dealers who say it's possible give it a try? If it doesn't work don't pay!

Neither Skoda dealers nor Customer Services are infallible.

Fred