Modifying Your Fabia MK III

@LemtoThanks! from what ive read they are an MOT failure if the wipers go over it however its very easy to just cut your wipers down or buy shorter ones so they clear it.

as ive still got 2 years until i need an MOT i did it anyway B) and i will worry about it later... or when i get pulled over :D

unless you know of a more lenient MOT tester which wont fail you for something so insignificant 

Edited by Nathanb93
  • Like 1

I've only done basic mods on my Fabia, which can be reset back to factory without anyone knowing for when it goes back to Skoda in a couple of years! I've no intention of keeping it any longer than the PCP, not because it's a bad car or anything, but by then I'll have graduated and be able to afford something with a bit more than 90PS...

Anyway- I've fitted the factory armrest, which other people have detailed too. It's a hassle but totally worth it. The other thing I've fitted is the 'W8 Light' mod, although I'm going to change the bulbs for LEDs. My light unit came from China via Ali Express, and is a Skoda unit from the Mk.1 Superb with green backlighting. It still has the VW-style red downlighters, unlike the more recent Skodas with white ones, but I didn't bother changing it, I still think it looks great. 

This was a little bit more work than on some cars. I bought an adaptor, but it didn't fit with the sunglasses holder (it might on cars with the panoramic roof though?). I followed the same modifications to the unit as for the VW T5 vans with a similar cubby, as shown here. I found though that I didn't have to bend the pins up by 90 degrees, instead I soldered my wires to run back over the unit and into the plug to fit into the factory wiring. The bluetooth microphone pops out the factory unit, and replaces one of the foam blocks in the W8 unit, and just clips in.

For the backlighting, I ran a wire through to the headlamp levelling switch, as it was far easier to work out which wire was the interior lighting at that one. I *think* it was the purple one. I removed the end cap from the dashboard with a trim tool (aka old piece of plastic!) and removed the switch, and popped an unfolded paper clip into the plug's pin holes. Turned the lights on, and used a multimeter to compare it to ground until I found the pin that is at 0v with the lights off, and 12v with the lights on. I then cut that wire, and added in a connector block. I know they're not ideal, but I wanted something easily removable. This was the only 'damage' that I've done to the car itself, and of course is easily repairable for when I return the car. The wire for the backlighting was run across the headlining and down the a-pillar (the trim pops off with a bit of force) and into the connector on the headlamp levelling switch. When the car goes back, I can just remove the old wiring loom

It makes the car seem much more upmarket at night!

eZh8new.jpg

7xkeNr7.jpg

On 17/07/2017 at 15:00, Lemto said:

@Damo, turns out they don't work weekends! Those springs you recommended are on their way, I really hope they fit my car

@Lemto I am sure they will fit fine, what is the going rate to have these fitted by a mechanic? Also can you let me know what the ride feels like when you have fitted them, is it loads noticeably firmer? Thanks.

Edited by James777
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, James777 said:

@Lemto I am sure they will fit fine, what is the going rate to have these fitted by a mechanic? Also can you let me know what the ride feels like when you have fitted them, is it loads noticeably former? Thanks.

I surely hope so, @James777! I think it's going to cost around £100 for my mechanic, but my friend uses a different mechanic who fitted his for £80. Honestly, I could fit them myself but I'd rather pay someone experienced to do it just for peace of mind. I'm expecting the ride to be quite stiff considering I'm dropping by quite a bit, but I'll be amazed if it's so uncomfortable that I regret fitting them.

On 15/06/2017 at 18:55, Lemto said:

I just got my new exhaust on, first impressions are good. Would've preferred to have a cut out but it honestly looks good in person without a cut out. The exhaust supposedly has warranty for as long as I have the car, which is nice; thank you Powerflow! 

20170615_164337-01.jpeg

Did you get a video of the exhaust note bud?

3 hours ago, James777 said:

Did you get a video of the exhaust note bud?

I did, but the video didn't do it justice as I was trying to do it whilst driving (not smart, I know). Going to try and get someone to record it for me lol

6 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I did, but the video didn't do it justice as I was trying to do it whilst driving (not smart, I know). Going to try and get someone to record it for me lol

I did one stationary by by attaching my phone to the bumper via a windscreen sucker/holder. I wouldn't recommend driving and doing that though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James777 said:

Is it loud? Can you hear a big difference inside with Windows closed?

100%. The guy told me cars like mine because of its smaller engine and because it's turbo injected, wouldn't be as loud. But, it definitely is much more pleasing taking off in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear; lets out a very nice tone.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lemto said:

100%. The guy told me cars like mine because of its smaller engine and because it's turbo injected, wouldn't be as loud. But, it definitely is much more pleasing taking off in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear; lets out a very nice tone.

Do you think my Mrs would notice if I just drive slow

1 minute ago, James777 said:

Do you think my Mrs would notice if I just drive slow

You'd have to drive very slow and get to 4th/5th gear quickly to avoid any noise lol

*NEW MODIFICATION*

Got these Lowering Springs installed on the 25th July 2017: https://www.tunershop.co.uk/eibach-pro-kit-lowering-springs-30-45mm-e10-81-010-04-22-for-skoda-fabia-nj3.html

They were very cheap, hard to be disappointed with the price especially because it's made by Eibach! Getting them installed costed £100.

Below are the technical (approximate) details:

Before installation, ride height was as follows:

Rear: 15.5 inches/ 39.97cm (approx.)

Front: 14.25 inches/ 36.19cm (approx.)

After installation, ride height was as follows:

Rear: 13.4 inches/ 34cm (approx.)

Front: 12.8 inches/ 32.5cm (approx.)

Only difference is that you feel bumpier conditions more clearly, and bumps in the road that may not have been harsh previously are now harsher. With that being said, if you're driving on decent roads with no big holes or dips, the comfort feels the same if not better than the standard suspension, in my opinion. I'm very happy with this addition, and it makes the car look much better!

Car-before-and-after-lowering-springs.png

• Like 4

Got the Mrs a Corrida red Monte earlier in the year, looking to get some nice little mods completed - lowering is heigh on the agenda! If you'll excuse the pun also remap and exhaust although can't find any of the usual suspects for exhaust, although Milltek suggested a vRS system would fit? But as different engine / body not sure that would work?

1 minute ago, skodaw said:

Got the Mrs a Corrida red Monte earlier in the year, looking to get some nice little mods completed - lowering is heigh on the agenda! If you'll excuse the pun also remap and exhaust although can't find any of the usual suspects for exhaust, although Milltek suggested a vRS system would fit? But as different engine / body not sure that would work?

I personally think lowering the car makes it look much better! As for exhausts, depending on your budget, I'd recommend Powerflow.

2 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I personally think lowering the car makes it look much better! As for exhausts, depending on your budget, I'd recommend Powerflow.

Yeah they look way too high standard - got eibach springs on the golf so probably look at those ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skodaw said:

I think im going to get the friedrich motorsport exhaust, they are on ebay and arent too expensive, you also get to choose the end tip. And the pipe comes out a little more to the left so it doesnt come through on the rib of the diffuser.

Screenshot_20170726-194148.png

Screenshot_20170726-194006.png

Edited by Nathanb93

15 hours ago, Lemto said:

*NEW MODIFICATION*

Got these Lowering Springs installed on the 25th July 2017: https://www.tunershop.co.uk/eibach-pro-kit-lowering-springs-30-45mm-e10-81-010-04-22-for-skoda-fabia-nj3.html

They were very cheap, hard to be disappointed with the price especially because it's made by Eibach! Getting them installed costed £100.

Only difference is that you feel bumpier conditions more clearly, and bumps in the road that may not have been harsh previously are now harsher. With that being said, if you're driving on decent roads with no big holes or dips, the comfort feels the same if not better than the standard suspension, in my opinion. I'm very happy with this addition, and it makes the car look much better!

Defo the look im after on our MK3, and i have spare 17 wheels from my MK2 VRS too, one question can you let know what ride quality is like with a car full of passengers? 

Also has anyone fitted these coilovers to the MK3 (pricey in comparison to the eibach springs) - but also in my wishlist.

http://pbbrakes.com/skoda-fabia-2wd-mk3-nj-coilover-suspension-kit.html

On 7/26/2017 at 19:05, Lemto said:

*NEW MODIFICATION*

Looks good! Speaking of road bumps etc being harder now, may I ask how many bars do you inflate your tires? 

I only have a sport suspension on my Fabia but noticed when I lowered the tire pressure from 2.3 to 2.2 bars that it somewhat helps dampen the shock from the bumps a tad bit. 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2017 at 10:11, Kobayashi said:

Defo the look im after on our MK3, and i have spare 17 wheels from my MK2 VRS too, one question can you let know what ride quality is like with a car full of passengers? 

Also has anyone fitted these coilovers to the MK3 (pricey in comparison to the eibach springs) - but also in my wishlist.

http://pbbrakes.com/skoda-fabia-2wd-mk3-nj-coilover-suspension-kit.html

Honestly, the ride comfort only takes a knock when you're driving on bad roads. It definitely isn't as comfy as the original springs when going over bumps, but it is no cause for concern for me personally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon15 said:

Looks good! Speaking of road bumps etc being harder now, may I ask how many bars do you inflate your tires? 

I only have a sport suspension on my Fabia but noticed when I lowered the tire pressure from 2.3 to 2.2 bars that it somewhat helps dampen the shock from the bumps a tad bit. 

I inflate my tires to what the owners manual states, I can't remember what that is but I might do what you've said because that might help even more. 

1 minute ago, Lemto said:

I inflate my tires to what the owners manual states, I can't remember what that is but I might do what you've said because that might help even more. 

Ok, I see. I have 16" alloys though. (I believe you have 17"?)

On 26/07/2017 at 18:05, Lemto said:

*NEW MODIFICATION*

Looks wise its awesome! Great improvement. The measured drop is more than expected if my maths is right?

So you mention a harsher ride, that has put me off a bit tbh as my ride already feels the bumps quite hard with tyres set as required 17" rims. Is it now a bone shaker?? What's it like on the motorway at high speed?

I may just opt for sports suspension when I trade in in the new year. Most of the roads in my area are crap! I was behind a brand new SEAT Ibiza the other day which was lowered with 17's and hardly any gap in the arch and it was bobbing and dipping on every single thing it went over and was in a 30 zone.

Is the ride with your springs something I may not enjoy very much or is it honestly bearable?