Hardtail to Hybrid

VRS_Dan

I do a little riding at the moment but want to increase this to around twice a week and increase on the distance of my rides.

I currently have a large framed Mongoose Hardtail which I have no issues with (other than I went large whereas I really needed a medium frame) but as most of my riding is now on road with some on tracks and bridleways, I am looking at a few options on the Hybrid side of things.

Ideally, I would like hydraulic discs, carbon folks would be a bonus but not a decider, pedals don't really matter as I'm used to normal flat type.

Does any have any advice on decent bike in and around the 500-600 mark? Currently seen the Boardman Hybrid Comp and the Specialized Sirrus Sport/Sirrus Disc as well as the Raleigh Stada Speed 1

1 hour ago, VRS Mike said:

Boardman Hybrid Comp looks good value. I'd like to get a Planet X London Road for my winter bike.

1 hour ago, Coops said:

I agree, looks a great bike.

Cheers guys. Would you rate the Boardman better or better value for money than the other two?

I've never owned a boardman, my mate has two and they seem to be good value, I'd suggest giving it a good once over if you get one as I've heard the bike techs at Halfords can be hit and miss!

It's worth becoming a British Cycling club member as you can get 10% off, also worth waiting to see if they have any offers this weekend

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts 

• Like 2

I actually use my Specialized Rockhopper Pro hardtail as a commuting bike nowadays.

It was bought on a Cycle To Work scheme, and the only change I made was replace the tyres with Maxxis Wormdrive semi slicks (along with puncture resistant inner tubes).

Works perfectly on the road and bridleways.

This could be a cheaper option for your Mongoose.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jon TDI said:

I actually use my Specialized Rockhopper Pro hardtail as a commuting bike nowadays.

It was bought on a Cycle To Work scheme, and the only change I made was replace the tyres with Maxxis Wormdrive semi slicks (along with puncture resistant inner tubes).

Works perfectly on the road and bridleways.

This could be a cheaper option for your Mongoose.

I could look in to this but the bike is pretty heavy and the frame is too big for me (stupidly thought I would still grow a bit when I bought it) so really need a medium frame boke hence the change.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, VRS_Dan said:

I could look in to this but the bike is pretty heavy and the frame is too big for me (stupidly thought I would still grow a bit when I bought it) so really need a medium frame boke hence the change.

Fair enough. The right size frame will make a difference and more comfortable to ride.

The Boardman or Specialized are probably the best of the lot.

A friend had a Sirrus & it was a nice bike to ride.

I can't help but look at the new ebikes!

I know the guy who owns the local bike shop, and he has a Specialized Levo Turbo as a demo bike..........mmmmmmmmmmm.