vRS245 ordered club

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Worked out on VW configuration that 5 door Golf GTi Performance Pack with 19" alloys and same spec as my 245 would have cost £36,500 when my car cost £28,100 including metallic,spare wheel, reversing camera and electric sunroof.

Those 19s and the leather bump up the Golf by nearly 3 grand!    You can get an R for less than that discounted.

Agree with everything Juan has said. Hate the speedo so I have digital always on, and the quick scroll wheel is nice to see other stats. Not worked out the radio order for switching stations on the wheel, seems to have nothing to do with your menu buttons you have setup on the screen. 

As an iphone user, I bought an Android phone just to use Android Auto and Google Maps but you can't have bluetooth and USB at the same time. Dunno if this is the same across all cars, but thought the tech would be capable of doing both especially when you have separate 'phone' and 'app' menus. 

Another thing i've found annoying is the dash menu, where i've tried to hit the menu button, it takes me to my phone call history, then I try to get out of it and somehow and i'm ringing someone!

Just booked my 245 in with Ben at AmD Essex for a re-map on 12/03/2018. Very excited because last car they worked on was 63 plate Octavia 2.0 Tdi SE which went from 147 to 186bhp and 246 to 317 lb of torque yet still averaged 70 mpg on the way home. Will let you guys know if fuel consumption affected afterwards, should see over 300 bhp.

Any reason you went for a remap rather than a DTUK tuning box?

When i get mine i want to 'upgrade' it as well, so looking at what folks are doing.  Though mine will be a lease, so think tuning box for me is easier, and resellable after potentially.

19 minutes ago, Ursicles said:

Any reason you went for a remap rather than a DTUK tuning box?

When i get mine i want to 'upgrade' it as well, so looking at what folks are doing.  Though mine will be a lease, so think tuning box for me is easier, and resellable after potentially.

Is a tuning box not detectable then? My car is a lease but I thought we're not allowed to modify the car without prior consent from the finance company. 

AmD have been established since 1987, have been competing in BTCC since 2010 and will run 4 cars this year including Audi S3 saloons. In the past they have worked on 2 E36 BMW, 2003 Seat Leon Cupra (230bhp) up from 177bhp standard and in 2014 my OctaviaSe diesel all with great results. They are not cheap at £500 for the re-map but they are the best. Hope that clears it up for you. Plus I plan to keep my Vrs245 because I always wanted a practical 300bhp car and the Honda Civic Type R is too brash for my own taste. Subtle is always better so keeping standard quiet exhaust for the surprise element when those Audi/BMW/Mercedes need teaching a lesson!

28 minutes ago, JuanGandini said:

Is a tuning box not detectable then? My car is a lease but I thought we're not allowed to modify the car without prior consent from the finance company. 

Tuning box leads are connected to sensors In the engine bay. Box plugs into obd port. Can all be removed when you take car in for service etc. Undetectable too

Being undetectable does not matter does it if it will not be the cause of Engine / Component failure,

so no issue with a Warranty being voided if that is your concern.

If it did cause a failure then no point hiding from the Dealers / or Warranty Provider / Underwriter that you had a Tuning Box 

if you are declaring it to the Insurer.

Not declaring a Tuning Box fitted to an Insurer would not be 'Simply Clever'. 

It might be undetectable by looking at but as soon as they plug it in to the computer and look at the stored info on the ecu they’ll be able to see the fueling, boost, how many redlines it had etc. 

I remember hearing about a guy on pistonheads  who had a golf R on lease and he blew the engine (down shifted to much) and was hit with a hefty price for an engine rebuild as the warranty wouldn’t cover it as the ecu detected a rev spike.

if any warranty work that’s needed is engine related and you’ve had a tuning box on it say good by to the warranty and expect a massive bill if you’re leasing 

Yeah I find it hard to believe these are 100% undetectable. Surely the ECU in some capacity will be storing if a certain parameter managed to reach ‘11’ despite its maximum actually being set at ‘10’. 

I dunno though, is the reality. 

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

Yeah I find it hard to believe these are 100% undetectable. Surely the ECU in some capacity will be storing if a certain parameter managed to reach ‘11’ despite its maximum actually being set at ‘10’. 

The Vrs245 is a de-tuned Golf R engine instead of a Vrs230 with a re-map because it features up rated fuel pump and injectors so it can handle a lot more than the standard 242bhp. Also the boss of SEAT in Spain is currently driving around Barcelona in a Leon ST on 20"alloys, an aftermarket exhaust and up rated engine pushing out 355bhp. Wouldn't look good if his engine went pop would it!

• Like 1

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

The Vrs245 is a de-tuned Golf R engine instead of a Vrs230 with a re-map because it features up rated fuel pump and injectors so it can handle a lot more than the standard 242bhp. Also the boss of SEAT in Spain is currently driving around Barcelona in a Leon ST on 20"alloys, an aftermarket exhaust and up rated engine pushing out 355bhp. Wouldn't look good if his engine went pop would it!

The 245 has a different turbo to the R

Just spoke to Skoda after they called me.... they said still no build week, but between my lease going back and the new car arriving as my car has been delayed (and delayed to them is 18 weeks) they will supply me with a hire car til my car is here, however long that is!

Means i don't need to pay for the lease, or any insurance for that period - so up £250 a month... quite happy with that outcome :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Not so, the 245 (engine code DLBA) has exactly the same base engine as the previous 220 and 230, it also uses the same IS20 turbo, the differences are ECU and fuelling only.

I have the official specification downloaded directly from VAG erWin just last week.

The R / S3 / Cupra 280 & 300 have a different base engine, the differences are minor though, they do however all run the larger IS38 turbo.

Not to say the TSI VRS engine cant handle more power, it can comfortably take a lot more, there are many many MK7 Golf's running much more power and even IS38 turbo's on golfmk7.com, very few issues if any.

It's a great engine and there's huge room for tuning.

Edited by Muzza80

2 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

The ECU does store Warp Speed indicating parameters but, extracting the data is something only done in the case of VERY expensive warranty work because it is both time consuming & costly.

If you pop a turbo, engine or gearbox having tuned your car up you've really gotta expect the bill, haven't you? but, cook the pads/discs, have an errorness stop/start system or a noisy e-diff you wouldn't expect to pay would you? well with a TD1 Flag you will be asked to.

I know a tuningbox won't trip a TD1 Flag at service or warranty work

I know a remap will trip a TD1 every time its plugged in

I know an insurance company won't payout on a car with an undeclared tuningbox fitted

I know you won't be able to remove a tuningbox post-frontal impact

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

A small turbo gives a better response and therefore is more drive able if you ever watched Clarkson's on Top Gear try to accelerate in a highly tuned Mitsubishi Evo. It took forever to move in a high gear at low revs.

Indeed and I'm not refuting that, just correcting your conclusion that the 245 engine is a de-tuned GolfR engine because, while not a million miles away, that is simply not the case  ;) 

Edited by Muzza80
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Famous_Afro_Jay said:

The 245 and golf r motors are rather different 

If that is the case does anyone know what are the differences other than the turbo/tuning;

completely different engine altogether or cylinder head, valve train, compression?

Guest garpat32

Had similar email for 21st century last week.

They are know for headline adverts but on enquiry you are told it's very limited stock etc.

Plenty of stories of deposit paid and weeks later orders cancelled due to lack of stock.

They may well have one or two available, but I can't see it being more than that.

Screenshot_20180224-080247.png