Boil in the bag

Pessimal

as summers arrived (however temporarily that may be) i'm currently roasting alive in my gear (RST jacket and over trousers)

can anyone suggest some decent summer gear on a sensible budget?

either thin over trousers or jeans, with a thin jacket to go with it preferably with protection in them.

cheers

I use JTS Kevler Jeans even with the added bulk of the Kevlar lining they're not hot as the material is cooling (it's used in fire fighter clothing). I have a very old Hein Gericke mesh jacket which is a god send. It is literally like I'm just wearing a t-shirt but with armour. The Rev'IT Airwave 2 is a similar concept.

My normal bike gear is well ventilated with zip vents and keeps pretty cool too. If you're going for textiles make sure it has a large vent at the rear to exhaust the hot air from your body. Light colours too help by not absorbing the heat. 

My previous Held Hakuna jacket was well ventilated too and you could zip off the side panels to get more airflow too. If it had been a more waterproof jacket it would have been a great jacket for all year use with the removable liner. 

In summer I always favour my Frank Thomas kit with perforated panels that face into the wind. The incoming air slightly inflates the leathers and so allows air to flow in, all around your body and then out the back. First few rides were very weird, as it felt like I wasn't wearing anything... but was delightfully cool!

had a look in the local bikes shops, but not much choice on the mesh jackets.

one place had an alpinestars jacket which was quite nice, but i hate walking around like an advertising hording, so unless it comes in something a bit more subtle than black with a white logo its out

gonna check out stuff a bit more when i get back from holidays. i like the look of the airwave jacket that CWard mentioned, esp in some of the lighter colours instead of black, better for visibility and not soaking up so much heat from the sun!

• 4 weeks later...

revit airwave 2 on its way, and also bought some revit stelvio shoes/trainser/boots.

manged to ride in this morning in just my aldi jeans, rather than my work trousers + over trousers and the nre boots, much nicer experience. 

think the aldi trousers either need shortening in the leg, or i need to get something a little better as the aldi trousers have all the CE armour, but there quite thick with padding/filling. think some kevlar jeans are needed!

Just ordered some more Kevlar jeans from JTS and waiting on a Klim Induction jacket coming in to try otherwise it will the Rev'It Ariwave too as the Hein Gericke one is getting a bit snug.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended going for a Klim Overland jacket in light grey which not as vented as the Induction or the Rev'It Airwave will be more useful as it not just a hot weather jacket. If any one wants the Hein Gericke one let me know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27 June 2017 at 08:50, Pessimal said:

has anyone got any experiences of the hood motorbike jeans?

Yep, had a pair for about 3 years, very comfy.

can get a little warm in very hot weather otherwise fine.

looking into getting a Kevlar lined hoodie for summer use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2017 at 21:25, mdk1 said:

Yep, had a pair for about 3 years, very comfy.

can get a little warm in very hot weather otherwise fine.

looking into getting a Kevlar lined hoodie for summer use.

Might worth a look, they have just opened up a new shop near me in Gosport 

http://www.roadskin.co.uk

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A bit late in this heatwave but for those that have taken off their jackets in this heat to find their t-shirt soaking wet with sweat and stuck to them then wondered why no one wants to sit next to them. To add to my collection of jackets I bought a Held Tropic II as my Hein Gericke mesh jacket was gifted to my brother who fitted in much better than I did. The Tropic II is a pretty good jacket for the money £120, it comes with armour in shoulders and elbows along with space for a back protector. The supplied armour at this price isn't going to be the best so I just used my D30 included back protector from another jacket. Picking a lighter colour it reflects some of the sun rather than absorbing it like darker ones do. Riding with the jacket on is just as good as the previous Hein Gericke one I had and you still get the fresh air moving through the jacket feeling like you just have a t-shirt on. Sat at lights and it's still nice and bearable, best of all when you arrive and remove your jacket you don't have the wet t-shirt. They do trousers to go with this too but I was OK in the Kevlar Jeans.