Karoq or Ateca?

weasley

I'm mulling the replacement of the Yeti and at first the Ateca seemed like the best option; I want a petrol engined x-over SUV with a bit of oomph and the 150 TSi seems to offer pretty much all I want (except the luxury of AWD).  I have dismissed the CX-5 with its wheezy, nat-asp petrol, the Tiguan's a bit big (and no more petrols apparently), the X-Trail is slow and nothing else appeals.  The SEAT is great value-for-money too, but then the Karoq was announced which looks like it'll be a rebadge of the Ateca, so the dilemma is, Ateca now(ish) or wait for the Karoq?  I took delivery of a SEAT Leon just last week with the 1.4 TSI + DSG and it is a very nice thing for the money; I'm imagining the Ateca will be similar.  What, therefore, are the deciding factors between the Skoda Karoq and SEAT Ateca, other than any brand perceptions?

I think in a choice like this, if you can get basically the same vehicle with same engine (I assume the Seat will change to 1.5tsi later this year), your preference is going to be equipment specs and cost.

I would divide the features into 3, those that you want and will curse if you don't have, those that you don't care, about and a middle group covering the rest.  The first group you need to pick a trim level or add options to get (then see what price is), the don't need group is things you may be forced to pay for pointlessly if you include them.  The others will depend on how they are packaged in the trim levels, just don't add them as cost options.

May turn out that something that is important is only one make, eg varioflex is optional on Skoda but not available on Seat, so if its in your must haves your decision is made.   However if you are waiting might be alternatives eg new Hyundai Kona (I don't know the specs of Kona or Karoq at this stage)

Guest FurryFriend

And then of course there's bound to be the usual new model teething troubles and even recalls that invariably come to light once any new car hits the roads. 

I would hold on to the Yeti for the time being. Give it a few months is my advice. 

My dear wife and I were going round showrooms between September last year, and January of this year. We looked at model after model, over 50 cars in total, and I can't say I've ever known such a period in car history with such a lousy selection of unappealing cars in my entire motoring life. It actually got really boring. 

We truthfully couldn't find one decent vehicle to spend our money on. That's never happened before! In the past,  we have had to make a choice between 4 or 5 cars that all appealed. 

Not this time. 

FurryFriend - couldn't agree more about the current choice of cars from mainstream brands. Almost every manufacturer stick to a dull formulaic approach of one model per category (City, Estate, SUV etc) but they are all so similar to look at and in spec, there really aren't any 'stand-out' marques or models any more.

I used be a Land Rover man through and through, would never drive anything else but they too have gone dull, all models look the same, no individual charisma and let's not talk about the price!

My Octavia Scout is fairly dull to look at (apart from 'front-on') but is a brilliant car to drive and a generally nice place to be in, would really struggle to get enthusiastic about anything else just now and Skoda have just binned their one unique model (Yeti).

No idea at all what I would buy next, even found myself looking at brands I would previously never have touched such as the new Peugeot 3008 and 2018 Citroen C5 Aircross just because they actually look quirky, different and interesting!!

Edited by CFBScout
typo
  • Like 1

Hi Weasley

I'm also pondering the Ateca vs Karoq.  I test driven the Ateca a couple of times and was really impressed with the way it drove and I really like the exterior and interior design.  Although I do quite high miles, I am thinking of going back to petrol (I'm currently driving a diesel Superb II) and the Ateca seems to fit the bill.  There were some things I'm less keen on, such as lack up seat upholstery choices (cloth for SE, SE-T, leather for Excellence) and the interior quality didn't feel quite as nice as my Superb.  It also does not have the unique Skoda ticket holder or an umbrella, but I can hardly dismiss the car for these minor omissions! 

I have watched various videos on the Karoq and I'm not as attracted to the exterior styling and rumour has it the ride is a bit soft and wallowly (the Ateca handled brilliantly and although the ride was a bit firm it was not uncomfortable).

I will wait until the Karoq is in the showrooms to look at one "in the flesh", do a test drive and also see wait until the Ateca gets the 1.5 TSI petrol engine.  I'm also guessing that when the Karoq is available to order, SEAT may offer more favourable discounts and finance offers.

I'm in no rush, the 3 year PCP deal on my Superb doesn't end until May 2018.

Glen

Which Road testers or reviewers that have driven the car & were the source of these rumours about the ride being 'a bit soft or wallowly'?

(wallowy)

Is it in print someplace or were you speaking to them?

Edited by Awayoffski

Hello Awayoffski

Whatcar for one:

"What's the 2017 Skoda Karoq like to drive?

The Karoq is based on the same platform as the Seat Ateca and Volkswagen Tiguan, but it clearly has a softer set-up than the former, because there's more vertical movement over crests and undulations. That said, at no point did the disguised prototype that we drove feel floaty or wayward, and it soaked up large bumps well.

Just don't expect that initial softness to translate into the sort of plush, cosseting feel you get with the Skoda Superb executive saloon. On the standard passive suspension fitted to our test car, the Karoq simply failed to settle down, exhibiting a fidgety ride on all but the smoothest of surfaces. We suspect Skoda is aware of this low-speed unruliness, because it has streamlined the development time of the optional adaptive dampers to ensure they’re available to customers by the end of 2017."

• Like 1

Good, so not rumoured then just someone having driven a pre production one. 

Something that is done so that engineers finalise the suspensions, wheels etc.

Place your bets on if What Car makes the New Skoda Karoq 'What Car' Car of the year 2018.

Likely as with the What Car Car of the year 2015 Skoda can have the Adverts made before What Car even announce it.

(Maybe something to do with Haymarket Media and their close relationship with their customer the Volkswagen Group.)

Edited by Awayoffski

1 hour ago, Glen Mansbridge said:

Hello Awayoffski

Whatcar for one:

"What's the 2017 Skoda Karoq like to drive?

The Karoq is based on the same platform as the Seat Ateca and Volkswagen Tiguan, but it clearly has a softer set-up than the former, because there's more vertical movement over crests and undulations. That said, at no point did the disguised prototype that we drove feel floaty or wayward, and it soaked up large bumps well.

Just don't expect that initial softness to translate into the sort of plush, cosseting feel you get with the Skoda Superb executive saloon. On the standard passive suspension fitted to our test car, the Karoq simply failed to settle down, exhibiting a fidgety ride on all but the smoothest of surfaces. We suspect Skoda is aware of this low-speed unruliness, because it has streamlined the development time of the optional adaptive dampers to ensure they’re available to customers by the end of 2017."

One report suggested the 4x4 version rides much better as it has a multi link rear suspension. But the 2wd has a more basic setup.

Normal rules of wheel rim size will also apply, the bigger they are, the less rubber in the tyre sides so will give firmer ride.  

If the adaptive dampers are just dampers with 3 stiffness settings, then presumably ride won't be much different if they are left switched to the middle setting compared to normal setting.  How many people actually change them depending on road condition rather than just leave them on one setting.

Good article.

Car magazine is not a Haymarket Media Group Publication, they have What Car, Autocar, Pistonheads and various others.

Edited by Awayoffski

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ask my dealer to loan me an Ateca (two days) so that I can as above see what the Karoq (for the wife, grandchildren and car seats) may feel like. Quite impressed as I have a fully loaded 190bhp one to try. The wife wants a manual and I would want full electric seats as I need the tilt adjustment which is not there otherwise. Electric seats (Seat) do not have that level of adjustment. Also quite like the dsg but would not want the four wheel drive.

Plus I will wait, again as above for those characteristic Skoda problem to sort them selves out.

You really would hope that since Skoda have been building the Ateca any Karoq snagging faults will be minor and quickly dealt with.

For those needing a more compact SUV but with VW parts there will be the Arona.

& for those with the need for speed the Arona Cupra will be along.

A plus for many will be a 'Mechanical Handbrake'.  Simple easy to clean interior and boot space.... Like many want with small cars.

Edited by Awayoffski

I didn't think I would be saying this, but having just read a very informative article on https://www.netcarshow.com/skoda/2018-karoq/ I am now seriously considering trading my Superb for one. Don't get me wrong the Superb is Superb but a change in requiremnts mean a slightly smaller vehicle would now fit my needs better. The 40 odd thousand miles I have driven the Superb since new has convinced me that another Skoda is the way to go.

Very full article but a lot if not most is available (unsurprisingly) on the Ateca. I handed back my borrowed Ateca after over 220 miles. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the car as I am looking to replace my wife's Yaris (grand kids, isofix seats etc) early next year. I had a fully loaded 190 dsg, four wheel car. Loved the larger screen and improved connectivity for my phone.  

Really liked the "magic " pedal hatch opening.

Small down sides were small trim details, lack of seat movement due to no full electrical adjustment important for me personally this combines normally with reversing dipping door mirror which I also missed on the Ateca.

All in all it reinforced my thoughts on the Karoq as a future buy.

Forgot to mention I was quite disappointed with the mpg figures even allowing for age and mileage as it did have full stop/start etc which I used extensively whereas my Superb does not. In my car I hardly touch the brakes slow down via the gears where in the Ateca there was much more use of the brakes even with using the paddles. I also found as others have that in traffic when re-starting from stop start that it "jumped forward slightly, this is easily overcome by simply touching the throttle slightly when the car that is 2/3 in front moves by which time you then gently move off without that "clunk". I am sure most others have found that on dsg boxes.

The difference was from 18-28 mpg on the same routes in fact the was less traffic at the moment (summer) than normal. 

Edited by Danny 57

I find the 'Coasting Function' does mean that much more manual down changes with stick or paddles is required and sometimes even braking, 

but then in the environment the TDI's are meant for out of towns the economy is as it should be.

In town 50% or more fuel can be burned even with stop start.

As to Stop / Start with Auto Hold enabled all the time i have never found the DSG's to be anything but smooth with an instant start in the Euro 6 engines with DSG, 

be that TDI or TSI's that have them.

I only drive Auto's or Automated Manuals so probably i just adapt to any and all as needs must, anything these days is good except the UP!MiiCitigos ASG's that 

really are like a relic from the past.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried / considered the Peugeot 3008? i think it and the karoq are equally un-pretty at the front, but it's getting good reviews. had a test drive today - maybe less road woosh noise than my octavia 2 though still lets some noise through.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ateca is stupid money if a few options are added. Much like the Rapid/Toledo clones, I expect the Karoq will be thousands cheaper when both are in the showroom.  Either would get my vote over going French again, PSA are better than Renault but that's not saying much.

Edited by camelspyyder

• Administrators
On 27/05/2017 at 13:36, Glen Mansbridge said:

I will wait until the Karoq is in the showrooms to look at one "in the flesh", do a test drive and also see wait until the Ateca gets the 1.5 TSI petrol engine.  I'm also guessing that when the Karoq is available to order, SEAT may offer more favourable discounts and finance offers.

I'm in no rush, the 3 year PCP deal on my Superb doesn't end until May 2018.

Informally, I'm told dealers have their showroom models in December 2017.

Given a likely 3 month wait from order to delivery for anything other than a stock car on past new model releases, I'd say May 2018 is a fair estimate.

However, the time you need to order, there might be only the models in the showrooms to base a choice off. So the vw/seat dealers might be doing a few test runs for skoda drivers ;)

Also worth thinking, as it's a new model, it won;t be discounted. The alternatives; seat/vw, will be on dealers monthly target sheets and thus trigger discounts. This makes the choice between marques, with the skoda likely being more at launch, harder to justify.

Dealerships may not be offering discounts, but other sources will. 

I asked what discount or freebies would be thrown in when I was looking to purchase my Octy Scout.  One of the salesman actually laughed and told me none as they sell themselves. 

I went to a broker and not only got £4.5k off, I got paint and a few other items free. 

The broker I bought my car from was offering deals on the Kodiaq even before it went on sale.