Tyre pressures

8 hours ago, Jcbl2 said:

OK so all good with the new vrs (on 18s with some very noisy Bridgestone Potenzas) except I had been thinking - the ride is a bit jarring - was the test drive route chosen to be very smooth? Growing sense of dread today as we drive around and SWMBO starts wincing every time there's a crack in the road. Eventually she says 'the suspension' s not very good, is it?' Not my favourite moment of the weekend but she has a point.

So I go and check the pressures, hoping and praying that they are massively too high and guess what - they're too low. 30/31 PSI on 18s. Not knowing what else to do I put them up to 35, expecting the ride to now reach model T levels of comfort - and it's actually much, much better. You still feel everything but the car doesn't jolt in and out of potholes.

I suppose I should be grateful that in 100 miles of driving before checking the pressures I haven't damaged a wheel or (hopefully) damaged the suspension. Don't know why I didn't check, last car was handed over from dealer with wrong pressures as well. Now the car needs a big PR campaign with my wife.

I'm not used to these big wheels and skinny tyres. Are they just super sensitive to being at the right pressure, and should I be surprised that 5 PSI too low was enough to make the ride harsher? Will going over a few potholes this way have done any damage?

I've run three Octavia vRS's with 18" wheels at 29psi for a combined total of probably over 150,000 miles. Tyres wore perfectly evenly across the width, never had any issues with pothole damage and were always comfortable IMHO. I really doubt it's done yours any harm.

Wait until you try running 19's in rural Wales, then say "hello pothole damage" :dry: 

I ruined three tyres (sidewalls pinched) by 8,000 miles on my current car at 36psi, although now at 17,000 without further issues, touch wood. I'm paranoid about potholes now though. :sadsmile:

12 minutes ago, Jcbl2 said:

I reached inside the wheel arch and ran my fingers all the way to the top of the coil - couldn't feel anything. Would it have been obvious if something had been there?

As above, transit blocks are brightly coloured to help dealerships spot them when they check the car over. 

Have a look up inside with a torch or jack the front corners up and have a better look. 

Edited by dunc69

22 hours ago, Ray Luxury-Yacht said:

Dalwhinnie. Amazing drop. Hic! :D

Try Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold - I reckon you'll love it.

On 06/06/2017 at 18:09, SWBoy said:

Try Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold - I reckon you'll love it.

What, like this one I just ordered from Amazon you mean?! :D

Cheers for the recommendation. I'll let you know the verdict...

Dalwhinnie-Winters-Gold.thumb.jpg.d1b3f172a4ae61d466ee115910bfb2be.jpg

• Like 1

Aberlour 12 year old is back at £25 a bottle at Asda, good job their customers don't appreciate class but still, this has F all to do with tyre pressures. 

Sorry for the thread jack

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 08:58, themanwithnoaim said:

Aberlour 12 year old is back at £25 a bottle at Asda, good job their customers don't appreciate class but still, this has F all to do with tyre pressures. 

Sorry for the thread jack

How does that saying about pearls go?