Ouch!!

nickg65

My neighbour has backed his car into the front of mine (64 reg Citigo Black Edition) & damaged the front bumper on mine & the rear of his He wants to pay for the damage  without going through the insurance. As he has got a BMW M4 it's going to cost him a bit, so I just wonder if anyone has any idea how much he will have to pay to fix mine. The bumper has a big hole & is slightly dislodged so I think a new bumper is required. Poor bloke he was clearly gutted. Still he had a 911 before that & that would be an expensive fix.

Thanks

Nick G

Replacing the rear bumper moulding on my Dad's Polo cost just under £500. I would budget for at least as much for your Citigo, possibly a little bit more as labour rates may be a little bit higher in your neck of the woods.

New, unpainted bumper was £170, paint and materials was £105. You need to add labour and VAT to these prices.

Thanks that gives me some idea.

Luckily it's not me who's paying so it may come out at the £700-750 mark as, after having it inspected it turns out the bracket on the front foglamp is broken so a new lamp is needed. 

One bodyshop guy suggested the bumper could be repaired although I not sure about taking that option as I would prefer a replacement. I don't suppose anyone has had any experience of a smart repair on their bumper.

The bodyshop guy was raving about some new technique they've got which makes it "good as new", but the reason I am wary is I think it may be twisted out shape slightly.

Nick

My dad's Polo got tapped by a delivery van that only just ran out of braking distance. No broken bracketry or splits/cracks in the bumper skin. The scrape on the paint was not huge after a bit of polishing but the bumper moulding was stretched and deformed in a way that could not be rectified.

Cracked bumpers can be knitted back together with reinforcing mesh and advanced 2-part adhesive filler compounds or even plastic welded but it's fairly labour intensive. With the cost of a new bumper moulding coming in at less than £200 the overall cost of the repair would not be significantly cheaper but with potentially inferior results in the long term. I would insist upon a new bumper on a car that is still within the manufacturer's warranty period.

Edited by ronime