Will this tyre be fine?

Stakeknife

Replaced all 4 tyres to PS4s, but with the one below being fairly new I decided to keep hold of it, but I'm not sure if it's any good. 

Theres a slight tear probably 1-2mm deep which I'm guessing is from the tyre machine given the location. Pic may make it look worse than it is. If it was the side wall I would throw it. 

Thanks.

IMG_1844.JPG

If I'm right the tear is where the sidewall joins the bead. The bead is what actually holds the tyre on the wheel. So that's actually more dangerous than a nick in the sidewall rubber.

But the MOT examiner would not see it because it is at the bead and will be in the rim.

Many tyre fitters or at National Tyre Fitting Centres will not fit used tyres because this is common damage.

(They will fit maybe for mates etc, but not where more than their jobs worth customers vehicles.)

Ive never read such complete rubish.

The damage is in the feather zone of the bead which at worse would create a slight slow if not fitted with sealant...

Id fit and run that..

The reason why national centres wont fir used tyres is because they want to sell you new ones...

Yes most National places want to supply and fit new tyres that they guarantee the fitting of.

But also customers bring all sorts of crap and say can you not fit a tube and such.

Tyres that have been on and off more times than the Nigel Farge as UKIP leader.

Used and abused and badly removed tyres. Winter, Summers, Wets and just rubbish never raced or rallied found in a skips.

So some care and knowledge is required and then it can still be a lottery.

Maybe just the bead area, maybe some handless 'fitter' has weakened a sidewall.   

Each to their own.

• Like 1

@usedabused I did look at the picture; the white stuff in the cut is the breaker belt, and that means the carcass is exposed just above the bead. That, in turn, means that water can get at the wall ply (or plies dependent on make). This means that you can get a catastrophic failure at motorway speeds.

That is good to know, so in your expert opinion this one is a good one. 

Just cross your fingers, all is well, move on nothing to see here it is hidden by the bead.

If there is a slow leak just keep putting in air, or put some Tyre weld in.   

Maybe not...

• Like 1

I didn't think tyres sealed on the side of the bead, but on the lower flat bottom part of the bead. I must be mistaken. But if they DO seal below that cut area shown in the pic, then water ingress will damage the cords and seep into the wire reinforcement and corrode it. That's always going to be fun at speed.