235/35/19 on Extreme's

Superman001

You're looking at the wrong measurement; you want the wheel width rather than the diameter to determine an acceptable range of tyre widths. You should find a "code" cast into the wheel that says something like 19Jx8.5ET42. You want the number between the "x" and the "E" which is in inches although radial tyre sizes are in millimeters, and for a 235 width tyre it should be between 6.5 and 9.0.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

You're looking at the wrong measurement; you want the wheel width rather than the diameter to determine an acceptable range of tyre widths. You should find a "code" cast into the wheel that says something like 19Jx8.5ET42. You want the number between the "x" and the "E" which is in inches although radial tyre sizes are in millimeters, and for a 235 width tyre it should be between 6.5 and 9.0.

I know a 235 tyre will fit on the rim, what I wanted to know is has anyone done it and how does the car handle.

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmmm. Looking around I find the 255/35/R19 is a more common size therefore, there would seem to be more cost competition.

Anyone see anyone see 255 being a rub issue, car is a O3 vRS245

Hmmm, checked out will they fit & they've got +3% increase in size so, thats a NO too

Edited by themanwithnoaim

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've revisited this a few times & R18/35/255 have a 4.6mm smaller radius than the R19/35/225 fitted as standard to the Mk3 vRS245.

In Michelin PS4's I can get

R18/35/255 for £143.98 each

R19/35/235 for £165.58 each

or wait for it

R19/35/225 for £217.18 each

I have a set of refurbed 18" Geminis so, I'm thinking of running the R18/35/255 probably with 13 or 15mm spacers. Can anybody see a problem with this?

@Auric Goldfinger,  @KenONeill

Edited by themanwithnoaim

32 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'll be fitting 235/35/19 tyres to my 230 to replace the 225/35/19's. fitted as standard. I understand they give a better rim protection.  The Extremes are 7.5 X 19 I believe 

Take a look at the Michelin PS4's, they've great rim protection