Really at home on the rolling main

A "Funny-old-World"  comparison in the realm of "Big-Numbers":-

http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-residential-research/2015/07/costs-southwark-council-528149-build-council-flat/

5000 x £383,000 = £1,915,000000.

Versus 892,000 Euros for a fully finished cruise liner.

So it would be cheaper for Southwark Council to purchase, off-the-stocks,  the latest maritime output from La Belle France, rather than build a housing estate for its tenants - and there would be entertainment and sports facilities and a shopping mall stuffed full of business premises chucked in.

Nick

Same here, not in the income bracket or interest group that would find  two weeks under voluntary lock-down  in a floating upmarket council estate shopping mall interesting.

But surely, on H & S grounds, this  and similar vessels are a "Bow doors open" event waiting to happen.

Way too much "Top hamper". No rolling-resistance. Hulls designed with no real kiel, relying completely on the suction generated by barge type flat bottom to keep them anchored upright on the water. They daren't get broadside on to a heavy sea and wind.

I'm not saying it keeps me awake nights, but how the hell do they get these things certificated ?

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Been going on for years, Nick .

Have a look at this one --http://www.shipsofcalmac.co.uk/ships.asp?vessel=loch_arkaig

Looks OK,but in a side wind she'd heel over like a Spanish Galleon in a breeze. calmac bought it as an ex Admirality minesweeper ( from what I remember) and added the top superstructure . Great size for the small isles, but I was happier on board one of the local ( far smaller ) fishing boats in a bad sea .

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:29, VWD said:

Been going on for years, Nick .

Have a look at this one --http://www.shipsofcalmac.co.uk/ships.asp?vessel=loch_arkaig

Looks OK,but in a side wind she'd heel over like a Spanish Galleon in a breeze. calmac bought it as an ex Admirality minesweeper ( from what I remember) and added the top superstructure . Great size for the small isles, but I was happier on board one of the local ( far smaller ) fishing boats in a bad sea .

Same deal with Jacques Cousteau's "Calypso" - saw it undergoing major refurb in Concarneau France - was originally a British Yard Minesweeper (Clues in the word "Yard"), wooden hull + lots of add-on superstructure, yet allowed to sail the oceans.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Clearly, there is a demand for this sort of thing.

With Trinity House adopting this sort of liberal approach, its worth considering investing in a few discarded 44 foot ISO containers, welding them together "Amazing spaces" style and then  sticking the structure on some lashed together discarded domestic hot water cylinders(Corks in fitment holes of course) and towing the whole lot around using a Kensington Gardens row boat, with a view too running a continuous car boot sale on board - that would be about the UK's level now.

There's no two ways about it, the population over here with the appropriate disposable income for this endeavour are as thick as mince.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick