Seat squab thickness

The Roomie has the thinnest of seat padding I have ever owned. I only weigh 11st 6lbs but my bottom sits low in the back of the seat without, I feel, much padding beneath. If I was of a fuller frame my bottom would be touching the seat frame, no doubt. I have had the car since new so it is not as if the seat has been compressed by a heavier owner. How do other owners feel about the meagre seat padding?

Edited by edbostan

I sympathise, Ed.  Sadly for me, the issue doesn't present itself during a brief, half-hour test drive.  As with you I am not exactly overweight, and I have zero "personal padding" around my posterior.

I wrote in another thread that sitting in my Roomster SE for an hour felt like sitting in an old settee on which the springs had failed.  My bum sank so low in the seat that the angled bit (between the squab and the backrest) bruised my coccyx - and the roll at the front of the seat dug into the underside of my thighs.  I spent a fortune on various cushions but never fully overcame the problem.  I have a similar (but much less severe) issue with my Yeti, although I have largely overcome it by using a small cushion between my bum and the backrest.

I found my Roomster Scout the most comfortable of my three Skodas, since Scout cushions are firmer and I don't sink so low in the seat.  Before I sold my Roomster SE, I priced up a new Scout seat (over £800 :swear: ) as I found second hand Scout seats as rare as rocking horse poo. 

Had I not set my heart on a Yeti for my retirement, I would almost certainly have kept my Roomster SE and blown £800 on a Scout seat.  Expensive, but cheaper than replacing the car.

Yes, Robjon. The problem is not only with the Roomster. Another family member has the leather seats in his Yeti and the firmness of the leather compounds the problem with aching buttocks spoiling long journeys. I can't understand how a company specifies such low specification for seat comfort. I am pleased I am not alone.

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:35, RichardatWakefield said:

I use a Friel Wedge on the seat base...

Hi Richard, 

I have Googled "Friel Wedge" but struggle to find a match.  Do you have a link, please?

I ask in the hope a Friel Wedge might provide more comfort than the countless other wedge cushions I have tried!

Many thanks. 

Rob

Hi Robjon and others,

Have just tried Googling "orthopaedic seat base wedge cushion", about 6 options, assorted thicknesses and hardnesses; try a mobility/disability living aids shop near you, often carry stuff like this; (or chiropractic clinics ditto). If you're lucky you can park very close by and try several in the car for real, find one that suits you.

Happy hunting!

Richard

• Like 1

Hi,

I had the same issue as one of Robjon's

" My bum sank so low in the seat that the angled bit (between the squab and the backrest) bruised my coccyx -"

I looked at a lot of the VAG seats and many had the same seat squab angled bit as the SE. I eventually found some Seat Ibiza FR 2015 seats that had a better squab profile and they have sorted my coccyx issues. They are not any softer and are quite bucketed so may not have the requesit features for everyone, but they have sorted my issue ...

Pete

Edited by petrev
  • Like 1