Carbon Frame Destroyed. Gutted

ILOVEMYSUPERB

Been feeling ever so slightly spongy for a few weeks like I've had an under inflated tyre. Seems in hindsight there was some sort of underlying damage that's given out although I'd given it all a really good look over and couldn't see anything. Thankfully at a give way in too high a gear and really pushing to get off the line rather than downhill at speed.

I'm gutted for you, it's like loosing a loved one/best friend when something like this happens.  

My bike was stolen from work last week & I still can't bring myself to look at replacing it

It's well and truly out of warranty and that particular model's been discontinued which ribble explained - very politely I should add - so I've bought a basic alu frame of very similar geometry, I've got good wheels and a good groupset so figure a budget frame shouldn't be too much of a hindrance 

6 hours ago, DarkPeakCycles said:

I'm gutted for you, it's like loosing a loved one/best friend when something like this happens.  

My bike was stolen from work last week & I still can't bring myself to look at replacing it

Explained this to the wife and was given one of those withering looks only a wife can dish out.

Was moping round work yesterday like my dog had died!

• Like 1

Lose my bike or lose my dog.......................?

There's only one of them that's irreplaceable.

If there is nothing externally that caused damage to the frame, I would suggest that 5 years is not a very long time to expect a frame to last. Maybe 'not fit for purpose'. The fact that the frame / model has been discontinued is irrelevant. I would consider taking this further with the manufacturers if i had bought new from them.

Edited by Tilt

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-12 at 09:36, Tilt said:

If there is nothing externally that caused damage to the frame, I would suggest that 5 years is not a very long time to expect a frame to last. Maybe 'not fit for purpose'. The fact that the frame / model has been discontinued is irrelevant. I would consider taking this further with the manufacturers if i had bought new from them.

I agree but proving it one way or the other is not going to be easy. They'll most likely just fob you off and it's probably not worth going to small claims over.

See http://www.gone.training/?p=111

Additionally Carbon Fiber is highly susceptible to a phenomena called Barely Visible Impact Damage (BVID). The Carbon Fiber looks fine on the surface, however the structural integrity of the fibers below the surface is less than satisfactory. The amount of damage below the surface varies depending on the type and amount of force of the impact. NDT is able to detect this damage using ultrasonic’s, if they have a suitable standard to compare the frame against. If not detected or repaired this can lead to catastrophic failure. Could get really ugly on a downhill run.

For those of you that do ride carbon frames my suggestion is to handle them with great care. If you have had some sort of impact damage or it appears there is a crack on the surface get it checked. Check you warranty booklet and be familiar with what you can and can’t claim.

On another note, Carbon Fiber is also Hydroscopic (absorbs water), therefore if you get a chip in your paint/gel coat get it fixed ASAP, as this also can have detrimental affects to the strength of your frame. Water absorption can cause a corrosion cell to form on those bikes that are glued together to aluminum lugs, or have aluminum lugs as strengthening members under the carbon fiber. I’ve had 3 TREK OLCV 5500 frames replaced for this reason alone