Car Battery Replacement on Skoda Octavia mk3

1 hour ago, FrankLK said:

Good, then I still don't have to worry as I deactivated start-stop also, next year will be 4 years, out of warranty, then I plan major service, battery not included then😉

Batteries have a finitie life span. Some can go for years like my dads mondeo. His is 16 years old and on the original battery. Others can go in as little as a year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2020 at 09:13, FrankLK said:

What was the lifetime of  OEM batteries with using start_stop and without? When it would be wise to replace? 

My car is 3 years and 10 months old with 107k on it. Battery is a Varta AGM. I put one of those Topdon battery testers on it. It’s readings are SOH 41% , 440 A EN ( rated 680 A EN) and says “Replace”.

I still started ok this morning at -1 degrees. The start stop still works. I have noticed the starter doesn’t have the same kick at times. 

On 26/11/2020 at 16:07, PetrolDave said:

I'm still on the original battery after over 5 years, start/stop left active.

Mine didn't die as such after 5 years with Stop-Start active but it would occasionally fail to restart first time. Had a new battery fitted and coded and it's been perfect since. I took the failure to restart a couple of times everyday as hint that the battery was on it's way out. Replaced the original with a Varta which is an AGM battery and actually better spec than the OEM taken out (it wasn't AGM).

22 minutes ago, Lingnoi said:

Replaced the original with a Varta which is an AGM battery and actually better spec than the OEM taken out (it wasn't AGM).

I intend to replace the battery on my 1.4TSI with a Varta AGM battery of the size fitted to the 2.0TDI - I've had the larger fabric sleeve to go over the new larger battery for over 3 years now in waiting!

33 minutes ago, Lingnoi said:

Mine didn't die as such after 5 years with Stop-Start active but it would occasionally fail to restart first time. Had a new battery fitted and coded and it's been perfect since. I took the failure to restart a couple of times everyday as hint that the battery was on it's way out. 

Yep, I also took this as que to replace my 12v. No other symptoms what so ever. Changed at around 6.5 years. 

I expect it can do another year or so without S&S but it could struggle to start the car on morning of a cold snap when I need it the most. Much better to have early warning with this S&S symptom. Thanks to the early warning symptom, I got slightly higher spec Varta AGM for just over £110, fitted it myself. It pays to have the luxury to plan for purchases and wait for deals. 

I guess moral of my story, don't disable S&S. It not only saves fuel (thus money), reduces harmful emissions, it also gives early warning of possible weakening 12v battery. 

On 27/11/2020 at 08:56, FrankLK said:

Good, then I still don't have to worry as I deactivated start-stop 

• Like 1

I don't live in high traffic city so SS system with DSG is just annoying and killing driving fun, it's so much better without it, scrolling through driving modes also, during which SS would always come back on what is also annoying, I'm old fashiened and I don't want to press any buttons or screen during driving, that also the reason why I dislike new skodas and other cars that follow this touch screen mania in cars. 

Car was in at Henry Bros Glasgow for a service , this is where I purchased it from, and was told my stop start battery needs replaced, told them fine do it , it’s under warranty, then they backtracked saying it’s fine, got it checked at QuickFit and they confirmed battery knackered and needs replaced, I had to go all the way up to the service director who came out to car with meter and confirmed battery knackered, so got the thing replaced eventually, once this dealer takes your cash, your a nobody, they couldn’t spell “ Customer Care “

Edited by Booky
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Booky said:

Car was in at Henry Bros Glasgow for a service , this is where I purchased it from, and was told my stop start battery needs replaced, told them fine do it , it’s under warranty, then they backtracked saying it’s fine, got it checked at QuickFit and they confirmed battery knackered and needs replaced, I had to go all the way up to the service director who came out to car with meter and confirmed battery knackered, so got the thing replaced eventually, once this dealer takes your cash, your a nobody, they couldn’t spell “ Customer Care “

Hi Booky, welcome to the forum, very disappointing - but not surprising given some of the stories heard from other members. Is there no level too low for some so-called service departments to sink?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Booky, welcome to the forum, very disappointing - but not surprising given some of the stories heard from other members. Is there no level too low for some so-called service departments to sink?   

2 hours ago, Booky said:

I can confirm this in my country also, very bad customer care, so bad that I service my car in a city one hour drive away and in my city I have three skoda garages, but I had bad history with them so I decided to go where I get decent service. 

On 26/11/2020 at 09:13, FrankLK said:

What was the lifetime of  OEM batteries with using start_stop and without? When it would be wise to replace? 

On 26/11/2020 at 16:07, PetrolDave said:

I'm still on the original battery after over 5 years, start/stop left active.

My old Scout lasted a little over 3 years on the original battery before it gave up the ghost and i had to fit a new one - It was a fairy tale classic case of a cold spell that lasted a couple of days and that was it - battery shot.  Same happened on my old A4

6 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

My old Scout lasted a little over 3 years on the original battery before it gave up the ghost and i had to fit a new one - It was a fairy tale classic case of a cold spell that lasted a couple of days and that was it - battery shot.  Same happened on my old A4

So cold this morning after a wet night that I couldn't open either door on the drivers side as they were iced shut - so I had to open the passenger front door and climb over the centre console to get into the drivers seat and start the engine - 5 year old battery started the engine easily (just had to spend 5 minutes scarping the ice off the windows before the drivers side door were defrosted enough to be able to force them open from the inside!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

So cold this morning after a wet night that I couldn't open either door on the drivers side as they were iced shut - so I had to open the passenger front door and climb over the centre console to get into the drivers seat and start the engine - 5 year old battery started the engine easily (just had to spend 5 minutes scarping the ice off the windows before the drivers side door were defrosted enough to be able to force them open from the inside!

I made the mistake of washing the wife's MINI convertible a few years back and it then froze overnight.  Windows wouldn't drop when opening the doors the following morning so ended up  stood on drive with hair dryer and extension for 5 mins to get in!