Shark STS PC Software

Thanks all sorted with the software. The new problem I have is getting the STS to read the ECU map.  I just keep getting a "key on and confirm" prompt, no matter how many times I turn the key to ignition and press OK...

4 hours ago, planehazza said:

Thanks all sorted with the software. The new problem I have is getting the STS to read the ECU map.  I just keep getting a "key on and confirm" prompt, no matter how many times I turn the key to ignition and press OK...

What happens when you confirm?

48 minutes ago, john2017 said:

What happens when you confirm?

F*** all, mate. I'm tempted to record the whole process.  When it says to confirm, the only option I have is 'OK'.  It prompts, I press OK, it says 'Please Wait' for like 5s, then prompts again. This repeats about 5 times before eventually I get an error saying it couldn't read the ECU.  I've been on to Shark about it three times today; I'm a little disappointed that it's taken 3 weeks just to get to this point...

4 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Hi, it looks like you might need a new powergate driver to read your ECU.

Is that an update for the device itself?  The device did a load of updates today when I installed the software. Hopefully Shark will get back to me soon...

1 minute ago, planehazza said:

Is that an update for the device itself?  The device did a load of updates today when I installed the software. Hopefully Shark will get back to me soon...

I would have thought so - did you try it post update/s?

Shark have received the device and have been in touch. They have updated the device and have seen from the logs that it is not responding to the ECU. They've included a new OBD port just in case and have suggested I get my OBD port checked.  

Is it possible for the OBD port to be iffy with STS but work perfectly fine with VCDS? The other issue I've had is that my 01 Engine Module will not allow changes; I found this out when trying to adapt my idle speed.  Could this stop the STS from reading and writing to the ECU?  Am I just going to be better giving up on the STS route and going to Shark or another tuner?

Hi, I would stick with shark for a while - I know that other tuners (revo) can/ used to make it difficult to read ecu containing their calibrations.

I'm sure their maps are great, but if I'm honest, they're communication so far has not been so.  I waited two weeks being told their STS would be with be soon; it never was.  I asked for a refund for it 10 days ago; still haven't got that.  To their credit, they have updated the STS and replaced the OBD cable quickly but they believe the fault lies with my OBD port. As I said above however, I find it hard to believe.  I don't mean to slag them off; I understand they're very busy currently, it'd just be nice to have been kept in the loop a bit more.  

I guess if I cannot get the OBD port and STS to work together, I'll just put the remap project on hold for a while and get a full refund. Not sure when I'll have time to get down to Mansfield.

Edited by planehazza

22 hours ago, planehazza said:

I'm sure their maps are great, but if I'm honest, they're communication so far has not been so.  I waited two weeks being told their STS would be with be soon; it never was.  I asked for a refund for it 10 days ago; still haven't got that.  To their credit, they have updated the STS and replaced the OBD cable quickly but they believe the fault lies with my OBD port. As I said above however, I find it hard to believe.  I don't mean to slag them off; I understand they're very busy currently, it'd just be nice to have been kept in the loop a bit more.  

I guess if I cannot get the OBD port and STS to work together, I'll just put the remap project on hold for a while and get a full refund. Not sure when I'll have time to get down to Mansfield.

STS device back today and still no joy. They've kept the USB lead too...

Really not impressed at all. I'm ringing them up tomorrow and asking for a full refund.

42 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Hi, I thought I read it somewhere you bought it from Wardy.

I did, yeah. I bought sts + map from them initially, but they had no stock after three weeks of waiting so I requested a refund of the sts device, leaving just the map. I bought wardy's STS instead which I received next working day.  The device works fine and has been tested by Shark.  They think my OBD port is at fault. If they cannot resolve it, I'm going to just get a refund, as I can';t get down to mansfield any time soon.

Edited by planehazza

• 2 weeks later...

My local indy are getting new computer tools in allowing them to reflash standard maps etc.  I've got it booked in with them next week to try and locate a hesitation/loss of power problem so I guess it make sense to have this rectified before applying a map.  I would have just requested a refund weeks ago, but if I get this sorted and rebuy it'll cost me 25% more as I bought it on sale. 

Fingers crossed my trusted VAG garage can get this hesitation and ECU issue sorted.  I really want to keep this car and enjoy it but it's leaving more and more sour tastes as I seem to have issue after issue.  

hi planehazza,have you had a look at durham remaps im thinking of taking mine in, the stats dont look bad and its only about 20 mins from us,its rr before and after

Edited by fishaman
wrong text

Looking at DR's site compared to Shark's, their gains aren't quite as impressive.  Their claimed Stage 1 HP is a little more at 257 compared to Shark's 250, but they're only going to 375nM Torque whereas Shark are claiming 400nM.  DR require you to go to Stage 2 before you get 400nM...

I still haven't heard back from Shark, and I was told that Ben'd be back in a in touch from Tuesday last week... Ringing them today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAZZA66 said:

Good luck on Shark getting back to you. Been there done that and got loads of T shirts !!!

It's such a shame, as they're no doubt spot on maps.  I'm just really ****ed off, as (not entirely their fault) I bought this map 6 weeks ago to the day and they're still not really getting back to me.  I was told Ben was away and would be back on Tuesday (last week). He was going to get in touch with regards to getting this STS device to work and zilch; all I've had is a facebook message saying they hope to help me soon...  

I really should just get my money back but I hear nothing but good things regarding their maps.  I was even thinking about just driving down and giving up on STS entirely, but I'm not sure they'll want to help me in person now ha.

2 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I've read some where that Shark are no longer site sponsors. Could that be a reason they might not to get back to you........

Well Shark's account on here is set to not receive PMs which would also indicate what you'd heard.  It wouldn't make sense for them to block PMs from members looking for service, help, or advice.

Edited by planehazza

Get a refund and try somewhere else,I would recommend The Performance Centre Sunderland.Used them a few times and cannot fault them.

They managed to get 309hp out of my vrs 230 using a jb4.They also do proper live remaps on a dyno,not your usual generic downloads.

2 minutes ago, geofftodd said:

Get a refund and try somewhere else,I would recommend The Performance Centre Sunderland.Used them a few times and cannot fault them.

They managed to get 309hp out of my vrs 230 using a jb4.They also do proper live remaps on a dyno,not your usual generic downloads.

Cant get a refund as it was bought from a briskoda forum member NOT Shark. He bought powergate v2 - also, 'normally' they are locked to 1 vehicle.