what REAL mpg are people getting on the 110 TSI cars?

My current long-term average, in my TSI 90 (not the 110, I know) is on about 49mpg. That's with a fair bit of long distance cruising, it's normally a bit lower than that. I'd normally say 45 mpg is an easy average to make. 

I got 58mpg on a trip the other day, mostly 50mph roads. It's definitely best for fuel at those speeds. Averaging about 45mpg now, I think it's got a little better recently, maybe I'm just getting better driving it.

For me the fuel consumption was a worry as my TSI 90 replaced a Diesel.

I was hoping to get about 50 MPG but fearing I would get less.

Have had the car just over a year and done 13000 miles, so now run in.

While running it was returning 50 MPH. It didn't improve during much during the next 8 months.

Winter always takes its toll on MPG I find but since the spring it has got better.

Over the last 4 months it has gone up to 60 MPG for long term. This is with me doing the sums, brim to brim.

I do nice mileage though as I live in the sticks. There are some techniques I am trying that help as well.

Perhaps I will do a separate post to discuss this. Any takers?

Thanks AG Falco.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

Perhaps I will do a separate post to discuss this. Any takers?

Thanks AG Falco.

I think that would be a great idea.

There are a lots of threads, entire forums, about people modding their car for increased performance. I can see the logic if they are also doing some track work but I just cannot see the logic purely for crowded and heavily policed public  roads.

I'm not a dedicated hypermiler and the American economy forums tend to take it all a bit too far for my liking with some proudly describing some potentially dangerous economy techniques.

Be nice to discuss with the sensible people of Briskoda :)

• Like 1

Had my 1.0 TSI 110 for three weeks - a combination of A roads and motorway. Just coming up to 1k miles and 51.6 mpg, but last 300 miles was around 54 mpg. Will be interesting to see the change over the next 1000 miles or so.

BTW, not sure about the 1.2 4 cylinder, but some people were worried what the new 3 cylinder was going to be like - drives like a dream in my opinion.

Fuel1000.thumb.JPG.51bf28303f7cb685f72f28ed7b60ca6b.JPG

Edited by GrahamStu
typo

7 hours ago, GrahamStu said:

Had my 1.0 TSI 110 for three weeks - a combination of A roads and motorway. Just coming up to 1k miles and 51.6 mpg, but last 300 miles was around 54 mpg. Will be interesting to see the change over the next 1000 miles or so.

51.6mpg is impressive! Have you been doing anything specific to help bed the engine in? I'll be collecting my 1.0 TSi 110 in a few weeks - all advice is welcome!

17 hours ago, sparckzero said:

51.6mpg is impressive! Have you been doing anything specific to help bed the engine in? I'll be collecting my 1.0 TSi 110 in a few weeks - all advice is welcome!

Not really, read some of the advice on running in for first 600 miles, so followed that. I think the fact that to get to most places I have to use a 10 mile A road which is busy but normally you are travelling at 30 to 60 probably helped. Plus the work commute adding  20 miles on the motorway did the same.

Only had a few instances on town driving and being stuck in traffic, as expected that would affect mpg a lot.

Today a 70 mile trip, just me and Mrs Estateman, mostly dual carriageways and loitering at mainly 60mph, no sport mode used, with some 'A' and 'B' roads thrown in (about 10 miles worth) and the car averaged 62.7mpg.  I wasn't particularly driving with economy in mind, just trying to have a nice relaxing Sunday drive on the way to our destination! I think if the trip had been longer it would have gone higher with the mpg figure. It was still slowly climbing on the fuel computer. I'm determined now to actually drive it with economy in mind one day soon to see just how good the economy can be. Still very pleased with it.

On 20/08/2017 at 12:51, Timbo1987 said:

I got 58mpg on a trip the other day, mostly 50mph roads. It's definitely best for fuel at those speeds. Averaging about 45mpg now, I think it's got a little better recently, maybe I'm just getting better driving it.

I got 57 mpg just now driving back from Wigan, it was pushed right up by the stretch of 50 mph with average speed cameras on the M60. The Fabia really seems to like that sort of speed.

I have a 1.0tsi 110 in a Polo. 

I've done 17500 miles in 11 months, majority an 80 mile round trip commute - 35 of which is motorway (M5 North-South). For the first 9000 miles I got 47-49mpg per tank. For the second 9000 I have had a RaceChip on it and been averaging 49-52mpg. This is calculated empty-empty mpg. Got all my receipts to prove it...

On flat A roads it gets high 50s. 

Right, another Polo here this time a 2015 1.2TSI 110PS 6MT, yesterday, going by the displayed fuel usage, I got exactly 60MPG on a 12 mile shopping trip, stop for an hour and 12 miles back, which I thought was okay for that short distance, starting with a cold(garaged) car.

Conditions were:- quiet country road 17C and very little wind, any elevation changes would counteract themselves over the out and back journey.

Edited by rum4mo

On 8/27/2017 at 22:04, Estate Man said:

Jon15, 55-56mpg, that's pretty good for the manual version. I'll bet it has more to come!

Agreed! Though I'm quite "lucky", I suppose, as my driving only includes cca. 20% in town, the rest is out of town, which definitely helps mpg quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the 1.0 TSI 110 Manual - done around 200 miles so far (a combination of motorway and city driving), and the long-term average is currently hovering around 50mpg. However, I have been trying to bed it in (different speeds, different gears etc.) - so I'm pretty sure there is more to come.

Really impressed with how the car drives so far - doing 70mph on the motorway in 6th gear demands just over 2000 RPM from the engine - it wasn't much lower in my old Focus 1.5 TDCi. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update: yesterday I did my first "proper" long journey in the 1.0 TSI 110, from Nottingham to Sutton-on-Sea via Leicester (the joys of being the family designated driver) and back again. A good mixture of city driving, dual carriageway cruising and, on the return journey, a quick blast over the Wolds on country lanes too. 

With 3 adults on board plus luggage, and without driving in the most economical manner, I got an indicated MPG of 49.7 for the whole journey. Thoroughly impressed with the way the car pulls - particularly on the hills over the Wolds - although the Fabia offers a lot less engine braking than I was used to with the Focus. This, together with the different gearing and power delivery from a petrol engine, has been taking some getting used to - but I'm getting there slowly.

I'll be filling up over the weekend, so will report back with a proper calculated MPG figure too. On a side note: how accurate have people found the on-board computer with regards to MPG and Range calculations? In my old Focus, it was pretty much spot on...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sparckzero said:

On a side note: how accurate have people found the on-board computer with regards to MPG and Range calculations? In my old Focus, it was pretty much spot on...

My figures  ( 1.2tsi 90 ) have shown the car's figures to be very close to calculated ---

Over the first 10,000 miles (17000km), the variance showed a worst of 1.07mpg underread, to a 0.34mpg over-read, with an average over all figures, of a 0.09 under-read.

I stopped recording data after that !  That's about as spot on as I'd be happy with !!

I *might* do a spot-check soon .. but not that soon !!! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dithane said:

My figures  ( 1.2tsi 90 ) have shown the car's figures to be very close to calculated ---

Over the first 10,000 miles (17000km), the variance showed a worst of 1.07mpg underread, to a 0.34mpg over-read, with an average over all figures, of a 0.09 under-read.

Thanks for the very detailed response! A few years ago, I used to drive an '07 Toyota Auris - the MPG display in that was woefully inaccurate (usually out by around 5mpg or so, compared to my calculations). Of course, there's always a margin of error in these things, but it never hurts to double-check. :)

• Like 1

Today wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS 6MT got 66.3MPG over a single journey of 28 miles with a drop in elevation and with two adults on board, after driving around another 10 miles stop/start shopping the overall MPG dropped back down to 58.8MPG, by the time we got back home, another 28 miles but lots of traffic and an elevation change (upwards), the overall for today was 54.6MPG - which is okay considering traffic etc. Temperature was 13.5C with low wind speeds.

My Octavia SE 1.6TDi 110ps Euro6  averages 63mpg over a tank which is the best I have ever got out of any car I have owned. Better than the Polo SE TDi I owned. 

Back in the day I had an Astra Mk1 1300s and when I got 45mpg I was chuffed to bits! Petrols haven't moved on that much in 25 years consumption wise. Admittedly the emissions are in a different league!