Fitting a CANBUS 2.0 headunit in a pre-facelift Roomster/Fabia (CANBUS 1.6)

On 14/06/2017 at 22:57, gingerbeardman said:

If you are reading this you may be trying to fit a CANBUS 2.0 headunit in a pre-facelift Roomster/Fabia which are CANBUS 1.6

It is possible, but you need an adapter which needs to be wired between the car and the headunit.

Before you begin

The only thing you do in the car is plug everything in. 

All the preparation work can be done from a comfortable chair and table/desk. And that is just identifying your wires, plugging things together, and cutting the correct two wires. 

RNS300 "Cruise"

RNS310 "Amundsen"

You need a Skoda Relay 487 (5J0035751) https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/432316-found-skoda-relay-487-part-5j0035751/

I also used a Quadlock extension cable (see below) so that I was not actually cutting or crimping any wires on the car, and so that this modification can easily be removed or moved to another car. This is important because any changes to the coding of the headunit will need to be done in another more modern car, one with CANBUS 2.0 so you will most likely have to remove the headunit at some point.

Requirements

1. TORX T20 bit & driver

00.jpg.9e67955a4bd2cdcfa49c6da8d8ce2f56.jpg

Notes: even though there's only four screws to undo I used a powered, cordless screwdriver.

2. Quick Scotch Lock Tap Connectors (I got a 10 pair pack on eBay)

Quick Scotch Lock Tap Connectors

Notes: these do not involve any wire cutting or soldering!

the male (paler) part needs to be securely fixed to a wire, I used pliers to really crimp them hard!

the female (darker) part needs to "click shut" on the wire.

3. Skoda Relay 487 (5J0035751)  https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/432316-found-skoda-relay-487-part-5j0035751/

Skoda Relay 487 (5J0035751)

4. Quadlock extension cable (fully wired 40-pin version on eBay)

Quadlock extension cable (40 pin)

How to

1. make sure your adapter has some wires or a harness of its own attached

02.thumb.jpg.84f673d8681f89f5e2a2f7425882e241.jpg

2. attach the female tap connectors to the quadlock extension  

04.thumb.jpg.6c0742074bfd34cdd071044f8dc2453b.jpg

wiring is as follows: 

CAN 2H = CAN 2.0 + (to headunit)
CAN 1H = CAN 1.6 + (to car)
CAN 1L = CAN 1.6 – (to car)
31 = GROUND (12v –/negative)
CAN 2L = CAN 2.0 – (to headunit)
30 = BATTERY (12v +/positive)

3. IMPORTANT: You need to cut the CAN High/Low wires between the tap connectors for the adapter (red marks on below photo, which was taken before I cut the wires). 

The relay converts from the older car signal to the newer radio signal. Imagine it as a language translator. 
The wires are cut so the older car signals don't get to the radio. 
One half of a cut wire with the car signal goes into the relay and the other half of that wire with the converted signal comes out of the relay ready for the radio. 
If the wires aren't cut then the relay can't work correctly and the old signal is still getting to the radio. 

In short, if you don't cut the wires it will not work :blush

03.thumb.jpg.cb7f76866603a833ca127e8a12ea2e36.jpg

4. connect the adapter to the quad lock extension (I used Quick Scotch Lock Tap Connectors, which are a male/female pair that can be detached easily if required)

09.thumb.jpg.6c1072662d7921d2f690f2848978aae8.jpg

5. plug everything in (it's pretty tight back there but with some patience and arrangement it will all fit) — success!

Success! Directions on the maxiDOT MFD

Postmortem

• I'm pretty certain that the adapter itself automatically activates navigation on the car MFD as I did not need to code that, it "just worked".

• RNS300 announces distances (by voice, and on the maxiDOT/MFD) in kilometres rather than miles.
  • Reverse parking radar graphics are not displaying on the new headunit, but reverse warning sound still beeps.

Maybe I can code the headunit in another car to change these last two?

-- 

For other headunits you may have luck with the below information.

RNS315 "Amundsen+"

(not sure)

RNS510 "Columbus"

Canshack adapter (no longer sold, you need to find one used)

or OEMplus CAN BUS Adapter (expensive! you will also need to make sure that before you fit the Columbus it is coded to DDP protocol using bit 7 of byte 07)

Hi I have the items to do this adaption however the 40- pin version on eBay was no longer available so I purchased another fully wired one off eBay now I’ve come to do the job and noticed my wire colours are different is there any of working off say the socket that will end up in the radio to work out which colours I use I’ll try and add a picture of my unit.

Regards 

D6F6D6DC-0C9F-436C-AF11-3B6CD180A72A.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Chickenlickin said:

Hi again it appears to work but is not switching with the ignition so I am assuming I should move 30 up to the next + so it will be opposite the negative ?

Well I’ve checked my original plug and there is no feed to either of the + listed on my new  head unit so it would make no difference if I did move it, should I put a switched live to the one I have marked as 30. Take it from the fuse board ? This is a picture off my old radio

2B943997-0FE5-4751-A171-8677FA952C52.jpeg

Sorry for being a pain I’ve just checked over my connections again and one of them was not making a connection rectified it and now it’s switching with the ignition, should the map dim when you put the lights on seems to make sense.

Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Regards Danny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @gingerbeardman,

I'm new to this forum, but I come here exactly for the subject of this thread.

Hope you can help (I'm from Italy, sorry for my English)

I own a late 2006 Roomster 1.4 16v, I just swapped the original "Dance" head unit with a previously owned 2011 "Swing" radio (RCD 310).

Obviously when I decided to make the mod I didn't knew absolutely ANYTHING about possible issues, I just assumed everything should work simply because the units where both "Skoda" (Delphi is the actual manufacturer) and plug where the same (apart for the antenna, where I used a Fakra splitter).

Well, long story short: everything works fine, except:

1. I cannot read the radio info on the maxiDOT anymore

2. the radio switches off automatically after 30 mins even if the engine is running.

Do you think I should Install the relay 487 to sort this problem out?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...

i have done this installation on my skoda fabia (mk II) it works when turning on my car and all that. but it seems as if it doesnt turn off all the way. (it drains the battery) have annyone had the same problem and if yes. how did you sort it. btw my radio is the rcd330 plus. CHINA.

Replace the canbus gateway with a later revision and code it to recognise the installed modules on your vehicle.

All info needed is on Ross Tech website.

I wouldn't!

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

All info needed is on Ross Tech website.