1.6 tdi or 1.2 tsi? mainly short journeys

recently gave up on buying an Audi A5 2012 2.0 TDI, due to the fact it had been updated by VW, I was told by some owners it wouldn't like my daily drive to work, and to get a working car id have to remap it and remove the dpf. well as it was £12k I haven't got anything left to spend on remaps. plus I recon the might make the dpf function part of the MOT.

so with this in mind what are my options for an economical and trouble free car?

my work run is about 2.5 miles highway speeds 2.5 town, with maybe one 30 mile round trip at weekends at mainly highway speeds.

I currently run an old 2003 1.9TDI its done 121k but its reliable. and with the black smoke map not bad. but its costing me £135 a year road tax and returns about 45mpg on my work run. on a highway run it will manage about 65mpg the way I drive eg slow 56-60 mph.

ive looked at both 108 1.2 tsi and 104 1.6 tdi which appear to offer advantages in lower tax and for the diesel better economy.

now I know we haven't got a crystal ball but whats the GOV likely to do to diesel's? I don't want to buy a TDI and then get whacked for higher road tax.

the TSI looks ok but economy seems very weak compared even to my old Leon.

on my daily drive would the TDI start giving grief due to the DPF? as I like the economy it offers when we go further afield.

has the VW update caused as many problems or could cause problems down the road, as it has done for the 2.0 TDI's?

I plan to keep this car for maybe 8 years+.

If I were you then I'd go with the petrol option, purely because of the potential dpf issues.

5 miles from a cold start is not enough and the weekly 30 mile round trip you would still be struggling to complete a regen, assuming you do stop after the 15 mile outward leg ( ~20 minutes?), the engine cools and then repeat on the way back.

You are likely to get into a cycle where the engine will attempt a regen at some stage of each short journey and consumption will be abysmal. You would have to extend your weekly journey somewhat to allow it to complete.

My guess is that the petrol would get you low 40's in winter and high 40's in summer for your short trip and probably mid 50's for your weekend trip at the speeds you describe, and you will probably better them.

I've got a  Mk3 1.4tsi Octavia, the many short journeys of less than 2 miles it does it will get 40 ish mpg, which is not bad from a cold start (currently about 6 degrees C here first thing in the morning in Adelaide South Australia). 50 to 60 mph cruising on open roads will get close to 60mpg and at higher 70mph speeds that will drop to 50mpg.

We also have an old  high mileage 1.3 Toyota Echo (Yaris) and returns similar despite being about 400 kg lighter.

Really hot weather and mandatory use of the air-conditioner has a really bad affect on consumption around town, much less effect on a run.

• Like 3

wasn't actually looking at a Fabia to be honest. but I know its about the same as a SEAT Toledo that I am looking at.

thanks for the help. looking at those figures I might look at getting a TDI and have the dpf modified ;).

edit:

ok just looked and it would probably make it illegal and in insured. so great I have a 13 year old car that is getting a bit long in the tooth and no alternative to buy. well done to the tree huggers.

Edited by cypher007

If the car is reliable then why swap?  Your statement about tax indicates you're wanting to change to save money.  You're not going to save money by spending £12k on a new car just to save £100 a year in tax.  It doesn't make financial sense.

To find out which car would give you minimal losses you'd need to collate all the costs for both and see what you come up with.  

To answer your question though.  I'd be going TSI based on what you've said about your journeys.

Edited by SC03OTT

The Seat equal to the Fabia is the Ibiza. Anyway, diesel is nice for long runs but not for short ones. Because of the Nox and particle issues the fuel probably will be heavy taxed in the near future.