roof aerial

has anyone changed their roof aerial...the long one...for a shorter one

mine keeps hitting the up and over garage door as i go in and out/open and close

i suppose if it does break i just put the same one on again

but i think a shorter one might look quite racy as well

cheers

geof

I have a tiny little one from a Citroen but it lacks a little with reception. I usually stick the full length one back on when travelling out of London. The ones from a VW should fare well, they are about half the length but thicker all along. 

• Like 1

Ebay item number  222526617437

That was the one I have but I paid around half that so they have increased in price perhaps due to popularity!
  • Like 1

hi do you just unscrew the old one or special tools needed?

17 hours ago, mrgf said:
Ebay item number  222526617437

That was the one I have but I paid around half that so they have increased in price perhaps due to popularity!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nandovee said:

I had a Honda civic type R aerial on my astra. A short tubby one. Took it off the astra and put it on the vrs. Looks much better. 

was your original aerial a long wiggly one like on the 2008 fabia 2 which i have..

my 2001 golf had the same style...but i never changed it..even though it scraped on the up and over door as well

cheers and thanks

geof

you are in the mean city i see...soothsiderareye

Short tubby one?:biggrin:

Yeah, many models match... Honda etc. I think you need a 5mm thread and some aftermarket replacement jobbies have both a 5mm and 6mm threaded screw you swap over, depending on need. They are just tightly screwed in to the base so may need a gentle coaxing to unscrew. Obviously VW short aerials fit too.

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mrcrow said:

was your original aerial a long wiggly one like on the 2008 fabia 2 which i have..

my 2001 golf had the same style...but i never changed it..even though it scraped on the up and over door as well

cheers and thanks

geof

you are in the mean city i see...soothsiderareye

Yeah a long wiggly one hahahaha. And yes mean city.... I'm over the mean East end. Where abouts south side are you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nandovee said:

Yeah a long wiggly one hahahaha. And yes mean city.... I'm over the mean East end. Where abouts south side are you. 

not cummernodd..!!!

no i only worked in ra toon...charing cross...a long time ago when you could drive up and doon sauchiehall street and the tongs...ya bass...roamed the streets...1970's

i think the closest i may have got to the soothside..was the barra's in 1959...is that correct for location to buy tools as i started my apprenticeship in the shipyards

but i have been down byres road at night and stood outside the sara heid...and live to tell it

my pub at that time was the tudor near the mitchell library..i think the koh i noor..which may have been the old one over the other side of kelvin park...

i lived in grangemouth then

On 16/06/2017 at 21:05, mrgf said:

Short tubby one?:biggrin:

Yeah, many models match... Honda etc. I think you need a 5mm thread and some aftermarket replacement jobbies have both a 5mm and 6mm threaded screw you swap over, depending on need. They are just tightly screwed in to the base so may need a gentle coaxing to unscrew. Obviously VW short aerials fit too.

I think a stubby one would look good as well.  Is FM reception affected?

Cheers

GEOF

It affects reception to a degree. You might re-tune and be ok though. I refit longer one when travelling any distance.

Never tried standard VW short one....Suppose that would be better then the tiny one.

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mrgf said:

It affects reception to a degree. You might re-tune and be ok though. I refit longer one when travelling any distance.

Never tried standard VW short one....Suppose that would be better then the tiny one.

Yes perhaps the stubby one is a bit twee 

cheers 

geof