Noise while stopping

Just picked up an Octavia 2 litre TDI, and I noticed right from the time I drove it out from the showroom that when I stop, at the very final moment, there is a 'thud' noise. Somewhere from the rear. 

Removed all the stuff from the boot, and it's still there. 

Any ideas? The dealer suggested that I drive it for a while and see. I'm sceptical because about 10 years ago I owned the second generation Octavia, and I had hell with the car. I bought this now only because they have started offering a 4 year warranty.

Don't accept the dealers suggestion to 'drive it for a while and see'.  If there is a mechanical problem, do you really want to wait and see?

Take it back, report your concerns, ask them to confirm it's safe to drive, in writing, or to book it in for investigation and any necessary remedial action.

Gaz

PS: Might be worth checking the wheel bolts are all tight.

• Like 2

Agreed

On a bike thread it turned out to be something as obvious as loose wheel bolts. And the wheel fell off. Beware.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonathan.tong said:

A common thread is a thudding/thumping noise on braking when the fuel tank is full. For me that usually stops after a hundred miles or so.

This was my initial thought too.  The fact the noise has gone after you've emptied a fair chunk of fuel/weight backs this up IMO.

Go fill the tank again and try it.  This happened on both my Octavias and also on two Seat Leons. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

This was my initial thought too.  The fact the noise has gone after you've emptied a fair chunk of fuel/weight backs this up IMO.

Go fill the tank again and try it.  This happened on both my Octavias and also on two Seat Leons. 

I don't think I have had this in any other car that I have owned. Why should the noise happen when full? I would have expected noise with a half full tank maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Filled up and the noise is back. Has to be fuel. Never heard this in any other of my cars though, including the Octavia Mk2. Or at least, I never noticed it before in any other car.

On 7/6/2017 at 17:52, MoggyTech said:

Could be fuel float for the level sender.

Could be. It's rather annoying. Do you guys also have a noise with a full tank of fuel?

I've not noticed that on my Mk 2 FL diesel or my current Mk 3 petrol. But I do seem to be lucky not complaining about any noises.

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

I've not noticed that on my Mk 2 FL diesel or my current Mk 3 petrol. But I do seem to be lucky not complaining about any noises.

Its relatively common complaint, 

Edited by Alpha2110