2.0 TDI implant for 1.6 Roomster

GeokenSan

I'm going to state the obvious and say obviously you'd be better starting with a diesel car. But then again, the amount of stuff you would have to change, it maybe doesn't make much difference.

Are you thinking to go 4wd too?

Hi GeokenSan,

I've been following and contributing to the Roomsters section on here for several years, not aware of anyone doing this as there's already four-cylinder 1.6CR and 1.9PD tdi engined Roomsters around that have been factory engineered to be OK.

I have one parked outside right now, I've had my 1.9PD tdi re-mapped, as have several others. Mine offers similar output and torque to the 2.0CR tdi, though the PD's are nowhere near as smooth as the Common Rails.

Not sure if anyone's remapped their 1.6CR tdi Roomster, but there's several who've done so in the Yeti.  The Yeti that Darrell did well exceeded the performance of standard 2.0CR tdis.

Which engines were available in the Roomster in Australia?

Hope that helps.

Richard

• Like 2

Both @Jonny5ive and @TrevorB33 have/had upgraded and remapped their 1.9 TDi's to circa 215bhp.

However a donor Yeti might provide the parts you need to fit in the 2.0 if that's what you want to do. If you could find one that's had a rear end shunt at a breaker's yard.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Both @Jonny5ive and @TrevorB33 have/had upgraded and remapped their 1.9 TDi's to circa 215bhp.

However a donor Yeti might provide the parts you need to fit in the 2.0 if that's what you want to do. If you could find one that's had a rear end shunt at a breaker's yard.

Guilty as charged.

Said Roomster now belong to the Brother in Law of @Slotty

On 6/21/2017 at 21:51, HeavyMetalRich said:

There will be more in common between the Roomster and a Seat Ibiza Mk5 which came with the 2.0 CR, certainly thats where I'd look if I were contemplating such a mad scheme. Getting past the DVLA/VOSA for a change of fuel though? I gave up at the first hurdle when it came to changing my engine size/number on the Fabia... they wanted a bill from a VAT registered garage to confirm the source of the engine and that it was installed correctly... phaw.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DanHarper said:

There will be more in common between the Roomster and a Seat Ibiza Mk5 which came with the 2.0 CR, certainly thats where I'd look if I were contemplating such a mad scheme. Getting past the DVLA/VOSA for a change of fuel though? I gave up at the first hurdle when it came to changing my engine size/number on the Fabia... they wanted a bill from a VAT registered garage to confirm the source of the engine and that it was installed correctly... phaw.

That's handy to know about the Ibiza. I'm not that up on SEAT's range.

I don't know if the OP will have the debacle with the authorities on changing fuel and engine size being in Australia. Might be worse though haha.

Hey all, Thanks for the valuable input.  Events have changed my thinking. I hit a roo the other night.  Not a lot of damage.  Got him plumb centre. Smashed the grill, radiator, cooler and bonnet.

He came off a lot worse (RIP).  So I might just patch it up and get something else.

Edited by GeokenSan
spelling

Was just about to add that you'd need to clear such proposed major car surgery with your insurers; events have overtaken that!

Over here, people have bought Written Off Roomsters (Categories C,D??) and rebuilt them if they have the workshop facilities, skill, time.

Possibly not an option for you, especially now you have a Roomster that's been modified in a way you hadn't contemplated!

Richard