Tyre upsize

Hi guys,

My Octavia came with 205/55r16. Is it possible to put on 215/55r16? It gives me 6 mm extra ground clearance which is invaluable on Indian roads, and still is only 1.6% increase in size.

Will it touch the wheel arches while turning?

We can not speak for your local Skoda dealer. I do not know if fitting tyres that are not of a standard size is a problem for Skoda. Talk to them about warranty and explain what you wish to do? If there is not a problem then consider the advice given here.

How about your car insurance? You may need to inform them.

A Skoda Scout may be a better car for your rough roads.

Edited by gregoir

On 2017-6-19 at 19:52, gregoir said:

We can not speak for your local Skoda dealer. I do not know if fitting tyres that are not of a standard size is a problem for Skoda. Talk to them about warranty and explain what you wish to do? If there is not a problem then consider the advice given here.

How about your car insurance? You may need to inform them.

A Skoda Scout may be a better car for your rough roads.

Not available in India.

You do not say what Octavia you have but if 1.4tsi or smaller engine then it should be possible to fit 15 inch wheels/tyres with appropriate ratios to ensure the circumference is within legal limits and not void the Skoda warranty. That would at least give you at bit more sidewall if ride comfort is the objective.

You won't get any more ground clearance of course but you were only going to get millimetres with your proposed changes.

It would mean new rims, but at least VW group rims (alloy or steel) will not require different bolts and should go over the brake rotors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

You do not say what Octavia you have but if 1.4tsi or smaller engine then it should be possible to fit 15 inch wheels/tyres with appropriate ratios to ensure the circumference is within legal limits and not void the Skoda warranty. That would at least give you at bit more sidewall if ride comfort is the objective.

You won't get any more ground clearance of course but you were only going to get millimetres with your proposed changes.

It would mean new rims, but at least VW group rims (alloy or steel) will not require different bolts and should go over the brake rotors.

The Octavia hatch/sedan [whatever it is called]

3 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Waste of time for 6mm, IMO. 

6mm is pretty large. I have a hump to enter my basement, and the car touches with 3 people but does not with just a driver, so 6mm will make a difference. I'm reworking the hump too though.

Also the new tyres I am looing at are supposedly far better, so all together might be worth it.

So, finally Skoda agreed that changing from 205/55 to 215/55 would not affect my warranty, BUT, they added that it had to be Goodyear, who are the OEM suppliers.

Argued further and they allowed me to switch to Yokohamas.

Much less tyre noise, and better comfort with the 5mm increased sidewall height.

When you say 'Skoda agreed',  

are you talking about 'Skoda India', Skoda CZ or some employee in a dealership or who do you ask?

33 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

When you say 'Skoda agreed',  

are you talking about 'Skoda India', Skoda CZ or some employee in a dealership or who do you ask?

Got it in writing from the dealer of Skoda India.