Any SUCCESSFUL emissions fixes appied to 1.6tdi 90?

Loads and loads of posts from people who are worried or have had problems, however (unless its lost in all the other stuff) I can't find any info from people who have had the fix and just carried on as normal, no problems, no performance issues, no DPF or EGR failures,no increased re-gens etc.

Since I've just had my recall notice I'm struggling with a dilemma - its the moral one (get it done) and the practical one (shafted on costs/reliability/usability, esp when towing my caravan). In other words, I do want it fixed, but can't afford to have an unusable car or have my holidays blown.

So if you've had it done, and had no problems, please let us know.

And please please don't clog this thread up with moans and groans - I'd like to compare positive outcomes with the great number of negative outcomes that are out there with minimal sifting, thanks:wink: (Yes, I am keeping an eye on NeilJohnsons thread!)

Thanks - Richard

Hi Richard, seeing as this thread's not clogged up yet I thought I'd just say, DON'T have it done under any circumstances. It doesn't have to be done & I'm not having mine done, no way. I've had the letter a couple of weeks ago & I'm ignoring it. Mines running great & that's the way it's gonna stay.

• Like 2

On 19/06/2017 at 17:37, RMurphy195 said:

Loads and loads of posts from people who are worried or have had problems, however (unless its lost in all the other stuff) I can't find any info from people who have had the fix and just carried on as normal, no problems, no performance issues, no DPF or EGR failures,no increased re-gens etc.

Since I've just had my recall notice I'm struggling with a dilemma - its the moral one (get it done) and the practical one (shafted on costs/reliability/usability, esp when towing my caravan). In other words, I do want it fixed, but can't afford to have an unusable car or have my holidays blown.

And please please don't clog this thread up with moans and groans - I'd like to compare positive outcomes with the great number of negative outcomes that are out there with minimal sifting, thanks:wink: (Yes, I am keeping an eye on NeilJohnsons thread!)

Thanks - Richard

Richard.

i may be wrong, and no doubt others more knowledgable than me on here will advise if I am, BUT, there is no moral dilemma wither so called "fix" as it will not make your car run any cleaner. I believe it simply is an alteration to preclude operation of the defeat device under testing.

1 hour ago, kevberlin said:

Richard.

i may be wrong, and no doubt others more knowledgable than me on here will advise if I am, BUT, there is no moral dilemma wither so called "fix" as it will not make your car run any cleaner. I believe it simply is an alteration to preclude operation of the defeat device under testing.

Sorry, but that is indeed completely wrong. How the car behaved under the Type Approval testing conditions is the only thing they wouldn't need to change, cos it passed. The defeat device is software that switches *off* that mode when test environment *isn't* recognised.

So 'the cheat' is the normal, non test mode software they switched to 'when no-one was looking'.

They've had to change the normal software that we've all been using day to day, to be more like 'test mode, best behaviour', with all the compromises that brings with it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wino said:

Sorry, but that is indeed completely wrong. How the car behaved under the Type Approval testing conditions is the only thing they wouldn't need to change, cos it passed. The defeat device is software that switches *off* that mode when test environment *isn't* recognised.

So 'the cheat' is the normal, non test mode software they switched to 'when no-one was looking'.

They've had to change the normal software that we've all been using day to day, to be more like 'test mode, best behaviour', with all the compromises that brings with it.

Wino,

Thanks for correcting me and clarifying that in a clear and concise manner.

Pleasure mate.

Apologies to the OP for not really being on topic, but I actually honestly believe that relatively few people have grasped what the 'defeat device' really is and so the consequences of removing it for normal use of the vehicle.

On 19/06/2017 at 17:37, RMurphy195 said:

Thanks - Richard

Just got onto Briskoda and thought "Wow, 6 people have had successful mods, that's good news since the silence was deafening".:crying: Oh well ..

Check out the Facebook group, The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (Emissions Scandal) #vwfixfail - I have just come from there - lots of disasters for all VAG brands, 4,300 members, including VW drivers who had the fix early and plenty of problems showing up. We Skoda drivers are lucky and can learn from  their experience. EGR failure is most common failure. Nobody is touching my little Fabia - loss of torque at lower revs would be a consequence. Try getting onto a roundabout with a high first gear, very laggy turbo and no poke. No thanks.

• 7 months later...
19 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Bump.

Any Briskoda members had The Fix on a Euro 5 1.6 TDI CR and happy with the outcome,

or have had any adverse affects?

My caddys had it. 

Its quite dead at low revs, all goes at once then runs out of puff again like a diesel. 

I was trying to find out if thats normal for an updated engine? 

Shark performance are taking it off on Saturday anyway so im hoping it smooths it out and makes it run better. 

It also does DPF regens quite often 

• Thanks 1

For one of the biggest Skoda forums, and probably the biggest in the UK the 1.6 TDI CR owners / drivers seem very shy to answer or post in this thread.

There are plenty that have said they will not have it done, and others that had it done when cars were in for servicing and never gave permission for it to be done.

Skoda UK were later than VW in starting doing 1.6 TDI CR Service Actions so maybe we will hear at some point from Skoda UK or the UK Government / DfT just how many 2.0, 1.2 & 1.6 TDI finally have The Fix carried out. 

Probably more will be done as traded into the Main Dealer network or handed back at end of lease.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

For one of the biggest Skoda forums, and probably the biggest in the UK the 1.6 TDI CR owners / drivers seem very shy to answer or post in this thread.

There are plenty that have said they will not have it done, and others that had it done when cars were in for servicing and never gave permission for it to be done.

Skoda UK were later than VW in starting doing 1.6 TDI CR Service Actions so maybe we will hear at some point from Skoda UK or the UK Government / DfT just how many 2.0, 1.2 & 1.6 TDI finally have The Fix carried out. 

Probably more will be done as traded into the Main Dealer network or handed back at end of lease.

I wouldn't like to drive the 1.2 with this power delivery tbh. Be forever just trying to keep in the small turbo boost window. 

It's odd, cos its such a rev happy diesel, but doesnt deliver the power as it should. It revs out easily and freely, just the power smooths off rather. 

Hopefully Saturday brings the van back driving like it should. Still unsure if VW will notice the shark map if an injector goes and i try and make use of the EA189 fix warranty. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

You've got to remember most people don't care that much about how their car works once it starts in the morning and gets them where they want to go, and they're unlikely to come onto a forum like this to just say that their car is working as they expect.

Internet forums are always heavily negatively biased on issues of reliability and performance, because most people only make an effort to sign up and post when there's a problem with their car and they just want to vent on it, or find a solution.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chimaera said:

You've got to remember most people don't care that much about how their car works once it starts in the morning and gets them where they want to go, and they're unlikely to come onto a forum like this to just say that their car is working as they expect.

Internet forums are always heavily negatively biased on issues of reliability and performance, because most people only make an effort to sign up and post when there's a problem with their car and they just want to vent on it, or find a solution.

True

Also some people just drive like miss daisy... so probably haven't even noticed the difference. 

There are 2  commenting on VW's, as we see, which is nice, one actually has the vehicle the other spoke to someone with one.

Not sure on most people, but there have been a good few on BRISKODA that had The Fix on a 2.0 TDI and posted all is well.

Most people seem on this forum to never admit to completing car satisfaction surveys that had Skoda high on the satisfaction list/

Not many seem to have on the 1.2 TDI or the 1.6 TDI Skoda, but then there do not seem to be any commenting they have had it because they put their car in for 

it, just that they bought a car with it done, or that a Dealership carried it out without permission.

3 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

There are 2  commenting on VW's, as we see, which is nice, one actually has the vehicle the other spoke to someone with one.

Not sure on most people, but there have been a good few on BRISKODA that had The Fix on a 2.0 TDI and posted all is well.

Most people seem on this forum to never admit to completing car satisfaction surveys that had Skoda high on the satisfaction list/

Not many seem to have on the 1.2 TDI or the 1.6 TDI Skoda, but then there do not seem to be any commenting they have had it because they put their car in for 

it, just that they bought a car with it done, or that a Dealership carried it out without permission.

Even if they are happy with the update, you have to wonder how long its reliable for... by nature the update over works the EGR valve which has caused them to fail prematurely and the injectors have been going too apparently. I think if either the EGR or an injector is worn or weak, it basically highlights it and finishes it off. 

Call me old fashioned, but i'd rather no EGR or DPF but of course, we don't have much choice at the moment. Especially in vans, where you're either looking at a brand spanking petrol, or a 10 year old diesel.. most things in between are diesel with DPF's and certainly with VAG are likely recalled with the update. Although the 2.0 in the T5 isnt effected by the recall. 

16 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

True

Also some people just drive like miss daisy... so probably haven't even noticed the difference. 

Ive gotten out of my car at roundabouts,traffic lights etc to tell people that they are driving on flat tyres about to let go.. and theyve been oblivious.

I offered to pump a womans tyres one day arfter i had to put money in the slot for 5mins air and had mine done in 90secs. Her tyres were shockingly out of whack, 36,18,22,30.. the numbers stuck in my mind they were so awful. Those are the people who have no idea whether their cars are working properly or not...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mac11irl said:

Ive gotten out of my car at roundabouts,traffic lights etc to tell people that they are driving on flat tyres about to let go.. and theyve been oblivious.

I offered to pump a womans tyres one day arfter i had to put money in the slot for 5mins air and had mine done in 90secs. Her tyres were shockingly out of whack, 36,18,22,30.. the numbers stuck in my mind they were so awful. Those are the people who have no idea whether their cars are working properly or not...

Completely agree mate. 

The 1.6 driven gently, carefully and within the speed limits might not be too noticeable with the update tbh. But put your foot down to get out of a roundabout and its nothing, nothing, (thinking, ****e, could do with getting out the way now....) nothing, 2500rpm (roughly), lurches forward and goes.. then out of puff again to change gear. 

29 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Even if they are happy with the update, you have to wonder how long its reliable for... by nature the update over works the EGR valve which has caused them to fail prematurely and the injectors have been going too apparently. I think if either the EGR or an injector is worn or weak, it basically highlights it and finishes it off. 

Call me old fashioned, but i'd rather no EGR or DPF but of course, we don't have much choice at the moment. Especially in vans, where you're either looking at a brand spanking petrol, or a 10 year old diesel.. most things in between are diesel with DPF's and certainly with VAG are likely recalled with the update. Although the 2.0 in the T5 isnt effected by the recall. 

It's not that it overworks the EGR, it uses much more of the range of movement in the EGR changeover valve, so instead of maybe opening to 50 % pre-update it's opening to 70-80 % after. On a car with a nice clean EGR valve there will be no problems, but on a lot of older cars, especially those driven gently, there will be a whole pile of gunk sitting in the path of the changeover valve. When it can't open enough it'll flag a fault.

EGR and DPF have been a necessary response to the negative aspects of diesel combustion (DI diesel especially), namely NOx and particulate emissions, so whether we like it or not, they're here to stay until the internal combustion is killed off entirely. DI petrol engines are now getting particulate filters as well as they have the same issues with particulate generation as DI diesels (it's a characteristic of spray combustion that it will generate particulate emissions unless it's burning very hot and for a long time).

One good solution that would help a lot, but we'll probably never see it, is to push the refineries for higher grade fuel. 72 cetane syndiesel would give a far cleaner burn than what we're getting right now, but it would be more expensive to produce.

1 minute ago, chimaera said:

It's not that it overworks the EGR, it uses much more of the range of movement in the EGR changeover valve, so instead of maybe opening to 50 % pre-update it's opening to 70-80 % after. On a car with a nice clean EGR valve there will be no problems, but on a lot of older cars, especially those driven gently, there will be a whole pile of gunk sitting in the path of the changeover valve. When it can't open enough it'll flag a fault.

EGR and DPF have been a necessary response to the negative aspects of diesel combustion (DI diesel especially), namely NOx and particulate emissions, so whether we like it or not, they're here to stay until the internal combustion is killed off entirely. DI petrol engines are now getting particulate filters as well as they have the same issues with particulate generation as DI diesels (it's a characteristic of spray combustion that it will generate particulate emissions unless it's burning very hot and for a long time).

One good solution that would help a lot, but we'll probably never see it, is to push the refineries for higher grade fuel. 72 cetane syndiesel would give a far cleaner burn than what we're getting right now, but it would be more expensive to produce.

That makes alot of sense. Explains why some people have been having problems with the EGR and some have not. These engines really are made to be driven hard arent they? 

I've read that the 1.6CR sufferes from a poorly designed EGR and crappy siemens injectors as standard (especially 2011 to 2013) which is probably amplified by the emissions update then? Injector faults worry me a tad as many seem to have had them, but theres so few 2.0 Caddy's about, i've ended up with a 1.6. 

i guess petrols with particulate filters will have the same downfall as diesels with them then? It's a proper pain in the arse tbh, for people like me, a heating engineer which mainly works locally, so stop start journeys. I keep havin to take the van on trips where i'd usually take the car, just to give it a run out. 

Higher grade fuels would be ace for everyone, im sure. Makes perfect sense to me, a cleaner fuel. Makes me think premium diesel occasionally might be better? or maybe tesco momentum 99 etc in petrols with GPF's? certainly those with higher performance cars would be happier, if nobody else... 

Had the emissions update rolled back this morning. 

Biggest difference is the engine works at low revs now. Before, between 1 and 2k rpm it was dead, had to keep it above 2k to accelerate. 

After the rollback, its pulling cleanly right through the revs, like a smooth torque curve, instead of nothing then turbo boost. 

Should fix the constant DPF regens too im hoping 

• Like 1