Query about the SE Drive Infotainment unit

Steamdrivenandy

I'm one month into owning my new Yeti and am puzzled by the infotainment system.

If you have the radio or media system running plus the satnav going, how do you switch off the radio or music without losing the satnav? In other words how can you run on satnav only with no sound from radio or media?

If you hit the on/off button it turns everything off and if you turn the volume down to zero you lose the verbal satnav guidance.

Is there a way of resolving this? I've searched the handbook and found no mention. The supplying dealer said to turn the volume down, but then you lose satnav sound as well.

Surely Skoda wouldn't install a unit with such a basic design issue? 

Edited by Steamdrivenandy

On my Amundsen + you can reduce the radio volume to zero and when traffic announcement are being given adjusting the volume increases or lowers the info vol, so adjusting that first and then when its finished the radio or music adjust to zero that might work for you, certainly does on my system!

Edited by Frenchtone

I press the media button until it goes to the external/aux. As I have nothing plugged in all is quiet apart from the sat nav directions.

I have my music on an SD card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

The supplying dealer said to turn the volume down, but then you lose satnav sound as well.

Frenchtone and the dealer are right, turn it down when radio playing affects just the radio.
Turning it down when sat-nav announcement is playing affects just the sat-nav.

On 20/06/2017 at 15:12, Urrell said:

Frenchtone and the dealer are right, turn it down when radio playing affects just the radio.
Turning it down when sat-nav announcement is playing affects just the sat-nav.

I only drove the 4 miles to the nearest B&Q today, but I set the Satnav for the centre of Crewe.

I turned the volume down to nil and had nothing playing on Media and could faintly hear that there were some Satnav directions being voiced but way too low to make out. I presume they would have increased in volume if I'd turned the volume up.

When I arrived at B&Q I switched over to Radio and the volume was off on that too.

So I still haven't had definitive proof that the Satnav voice directions remain loud even though the radio has had the volume turned right down.

That's for tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I turned the volume down to nil and had nothing playing on Media and could faintly hear that there were some Satnav directions being voiced but way too low to make out. I presume they would have increased in volume if I'd turned the volume up.

Then why did you not turn it up?
If the radio is playing sound the volume control works the radio only whether in radio or satnav mode and the same for the satnav volume it only controls that if directions are being given. To get the satnav to repeat the last instruction press the right hand button.

24 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Then why did you not turn it up?
If the radio is playing sound the volume control works the radio only whether in radio or satnav mode and the same for the satnav volume it only controls that if directions are being given. To get the satnav to repeat the last instruction press the right hand button.

It was a trial, I wasn't relying on it for directions as I knew my way. Obviously with Media and Satnav running, but nothing playing on Media the Satnav sound can be controlled by the volume knob.

But if I have the Satnav AND Radio running, with the Satnav screen visible and then decide I don't want the Radio anymore I can turn the sound down and the Radio sound disappears, leaving the Satnav screen but the Satnav voice disappears too.

It seems the only way, once you've started the Radio and Satnav together is to switch to Media with nothing playing. Then switch to Satnav and you'll get the Satnav screen and voice only.  

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

But if I have the Satnav AND Radio running, with the Satnav screen visible and then decide I don't want the Radio anymore I can turn the sound down and the Radio sound disappears, leaving the Satnav screen but the Satnav voice disappears too.

Then you are turning the sound down when satnav is giving instructions, the two are separate audio outputs.
On radio turn sound down to mute then activate a route in the satnav, when that is done press the right button to give the last route instruction and immediately while it is giving directions turn the volume up. You should then just have spoken satnav instructions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Urrell said:

Then you are turning the sound down when satnav is giving instructions, the two are separate audio outputs.
On radio turn sound down to mute then activate a route in the satnav, when that is done press the right button to give the last route instruction and immediately while it is giving directions turn the volume up. You should then just have spoken satnav instructions.

Thanks, I'll give that a try, though it doesn't sound like it's an intuitive thing that can be safely done whilst driving.

I s'pose there's nothing that can be done about the overly polite Satnav voice command. Nearly every instruction is a request as it's preceded by 'please'. I'm used to TomTom where route instructions are just that without the unnecessary 'please'. 

I'm all for politeness and like to see 'please' on things like ATM and payment card unit screen messages but the SE Drive infotainment Satnav guy annoys me and lengthens messages when it's really not necessary.

Guest FurryFriend

With respect I think you should go and buy yourself a TomTom, stick it somewhere appropriate, and turn off the Yeti system, as it doesn't seem to be able to do anything right for you. 

Leave "James" alone! We love his calm,  soft, quiet and polite instructions. He takes us accurately to wherever we want to go, without fuss. He has MANNERS...... Not a bad thing in this day and age. :dull:

I have just updated my TomTom. The previously pleasant english lady has turned into someone who talks just like the queen. Awful.

Don't seem to be any other available uk voices, might have to try the new zealand one. Can't imagine I could stand the american voice

With two screens I have always turned the voice off. I have an overview and turn by turn instructions but don't like being told or asked what to do.

Guest FurryFriend
11 minutes ago, JCP said:

With two screens I have always turned the voice off. I have an overview and turn by turn instructions but don't like being told or asked what to do.

That function is performed by my wife..... Even with no batteries she still works! B)

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I have just updated my TomTom. The previously pleasant english lady has turned into someone who talks just like the queen.

I only use TomTom on my bike now but still love the dulcet tones of Jane :)

Bring her back, can't understand why they have changed the voice. Can only think that this is an American company and the new voice is how they think we all talk over here!

Edited by kenfowler3966

2 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

That function is performed by my wife..... Even with no batteries she still works! B)

And no on/off/volume switch either.

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

Andy I just reread your post again. On our car, if you go into Nav settings, Volume, you can tick a box to mute the radio whilst directions are being given. I would  think you have the same unit? 

Thanks FF, the unit muted the Radio/Media sound automatically when the Satnav runs a voice command and I've found the settings where you can vary the muting level etc. That's not really my issue though.

I was thinking about when you're driving along with the Radio (or Media) operating alongside the Satnav. At some point you decide you don't want to listen to the Radio/Media any more but switching off at the on/off/volume button closes down the unit completely and you no longer have use of the Satnav, which you might like to continue with.

Thanks to this excellent forum I think I've realised the answer. At last some might say. If I turn the sound down to mute via the volume control, the Satnav voice still operates at it's normal volume. I tried it out again on the way to B&Q again this morning and it worked ok.

Thanskoda to all

14 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try, though it doesn't sound like it's an intuitive thing that can be safely done whilst driving.

I s'pose there's nothing that can be done about the overly polite Satnav voice command. Nearly every instruction is a request as it's preceded by 'please'. I'm used to TomTom where route instructions are just that without the unnecessary 'please'. 

I'm all for politeness and like to see 'please' on things like ATM and payment card unit screen messages but the SE Drive infotainment Satnav guy annoys me and lengthens messages when it's really not necessary.

Yes, but at least she has a pleasant voice. The one in my TT is awful and whiney and can't be changed and says daft things like "turn slightly left" and "prepare to enter a roundabout" or words to that effect. Very annoying! 

Have the radio or media playing, then just press in the left steering wheel volume control which mutes at the current level without having the go right down to zero?

That's the way I do it anyway. Although I don't have a problem with radio or media running at the same time as nav instructions.