Window Regulator Replacement

Hi

Nearside window on my wife's 06 vRS is making a grating noise when going up and down which I suspect is caused by a failing window regulator.

Is this the replacement part I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-6Y-MK1-PRAKTIK-FRONT-LEFT-SIDE-WINDOW-REGULATOR-WITH-PANEL-1999-2008-/131708777344?hash=item1eaa747380:g:yd4AAOSw4A5Yx8Pj

If I replace the regulator and panel as a complete unit do I still need the long reach rivet gun?

Thanks

Mark

That looks like an appropriate part. Although see my question regarding the replacement "clips". IMO if it hasn't completely trashed itself, it may be almost as easy to replace the window clips and save £20+.

To get the carrier off the rivets along the edge must be drilled out. To refit, either use the Skoda rivets and yes, a long lever rivet gun, or use rivnuts or other favoured insert.

• Like 2

Did this job yesterday - took about 2 hours in total.

Followed the guides on here and all turned out OK.

Hardest bit was getting the rivets in - they are big!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chester said:

Did this job yesterday - took about 2 hours in total.

Followed the guides on here and all turned out OK.

Hardest bit was getting the rivets in - they are big!

I did this job yesterday too, and used a cheapish 'Silverline' Lazy Tong Riveter which worked well with those VAG 6.4mm rivets. Getting the carrier over the lock-pin and then manouvering the top of the regulator into the door was awkward though!

Glad you got it all sorted :biggrin:!

Edited by garibaldy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...