1 minute ago, Richies83 said:

Now now, I'm not that much of a dimwit. 

I was in the dealers last Monday and whilst waiting I was looking around the show room and a bright eyed Salesman was showing me around a supposedly 245bhp 4X4 petrol DSG, Vrs

He was rather suprised when I told him it was a 4X4 184 Bhp Diesel.........Don't believe anything a salesman tells you..............

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I was in the dealers last Monday and whilst waiting I was looking around the show room and a bright eyed Salesman was showing me around a supposedly 245bhp 4X4 petrol DSG, Vrs

He was rather suprised when I told him it was a 4X4 184 Bhp Diesel.........Don't believe anything a salesman tells you..............

I specifically asked over email what extras it had. He specifically said upgraded Columbus infotainment. Agreed I should have known, but can't help but think he's either been dishonest or incompetent. 

1 minute ago, Richies83 said:

I specifically asked over email what extras it had. He specifically said upgraded Columbus infotainment. Agreed I should have known, but can't help but think he's either been dishonest or incompetent. 

Sounds to me like you need some compensation then.  Mis-sold by his incompetent.  I'd be after an upgrade to a Columbus

• Like 1

Just now, Richies83 said:

Or both!

The salespersons (politically correct version) have little detailed knowledge. If they even spent a little time on here researching what they do for a living, they'd be better prepared. 

Buying both my vRSs (MkII new in 2010 and my '14 plate last month) was frustrating.

You're better off examining a second hand car yourself to be sure of the spec!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Sounds to me like you need some compensation then.  Mis-sold by his incompetent.  I'd be after an upgrade to a Columbus

Worth a punt, especially if you still have his email! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Or both!

The salespersons (politically correct version) have little detailed knowledge. If they even spent a little time on here researching what they do for a living, they'd be better prepared.

My thoughts entirely :nod:

8 minutes ago, Richies83 said:

I do indeed - I won't hold my breath mind. 

594c1ae718170_ScreenShot2017-06-22at20_29_44.png.f2d7d1ca24500643c01625dd7ff1d019.png

DCC only became available late 2016...

24 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I had an almost identical experience:

Perhaps they were both remapped :biggrin:

I thought the only difference was screen size? Hardly worth arguing for an upgrade over (which IMO, you're never getting). Express your disappointment and maybe try for something like Smartlink activation for free or a free service. Something that's not intrusive and will require half the dash to be dismantled. 

28 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

I thought the only difference was screen size? Hardly worth arguing for an upgrade over (which IMO, you're never getting). Express your disappointment and maybe try for something like Smartlink activation for free or a free service. Something that's not intrusive and will require half the dash to be dismantled. 

He tells me smartlink isn't even possible on this model?

3 minutes ago, Richies83 said:

He tells me smartlink isn't even possible on this model?

He also told you it had a Columbus...

he he may well be right though. I thought Smartlink became an option around mid 2014. Someone else can confirm. 

• Like 1

I have the Amundsen sat nav in my VRS. I was thinking of upgrading but it seems a bit of a hassle to get it coded.

The main reason for not doing it is the threat of it being stolen as the Columbus seems to be targeted by thieves for a chip that is inside the unit.

39 minutes ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

I have the Amundsen sat nav in my VRS. I was thinking of upgrading but it seems a bit of a hassle to get it coded.

The main reason for not doing it is the threat of it being stolen as the Columbus seems to be targeted by thieves for a chip that is inside the unit.

How much would it have cost? They offered me £50 in compensation. I politely declined 

9 minutes ago, Richies83 said:

How much would it have cost? They offered me £50 in compensation. I politely declined 

I was looking at second hand units on Ebay, don't know cost of coding.

I decided to stick to my phone for most long journeys.

So they've come back and said it is possible to have the Columbus retrofitted, and they'd do it for cost. I found this odd; why would I want to pay anything for it?

I asked how much the original Columbus upgrade from

factory was - £550 was their answer. Is this right? 

I also asked if they could provide vouchers. They've asked me to put this in writing, but would not commit to an amount. I'm confused at what I should send to them now. Are they trying to get me to commit to a solution? Or wriggle out of it? 

2 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Currently £1050 on their configurator.

Don't think it was ever available for £550 extra :dry:

Yes. I'd checked the configuration so smelt a rat. Not sure where to go from here. I think I'll email and simply refer to the fact it's missing a £1050 valued upgrade. 

Does columbus add smartlink? Or would it not because my car is an early 2015?

I think Smartlink was yet another option that had to be enabled at factory or dealer. AFAIK it can be enabled retrospectively, but only by dealer? 

Maybe if they fitted the Columbus and enabled Smartlink FOC as a gesture of goodwill that would be a result!

On 2017-6-22 at 16:49, Gabbo said:

Does it not also display the sat nav indicated speed limit as well as the sign?
Our Volvo has this & displays both signs, with the lower one being larger & slightly overlapping the faster limit.

I found that when I enabled sign recognition, that trumped the satnav data.  So if the camera missed a road speed sign for what ever reason, the car would report the speed of that of the previous sign it saw.  Not ideal.....

Not so good either for a highway here which has different speed limits depending on which lane you are in e.g. when passing an exit sliproad on a motorway or dual carriagway.