Hardwiring 12v adapter with multiple dashcams

We've just picked up our Fabia and it seems the 12v is always live whereas I'd like my dashcams to be switched live. After spending an hour on here and other sites I think I've learnt enough to be able to do it but my question is would it be possible to hardwire this adapter with both cameras attached to it or does each camera need to be hardwired separately?

I know there is alot of posts on here which do help but I've not been able to find this specific scenario in one of them.

Thanks for any help.

I cannot think of any reason why you would have to do them separately. The current draw is small so I would just piggyback both off the switched live fuse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peter3197 said:

I cannot think of any reason why you would have to do them separately. The current draw is small so I would just piggyback both off the switched live fuse.

I agree.  My BlackVue is rated at 4W, which is equivalent to 0.33A at 12V

• Like 1

Yeah I've been doing so much research into it just to make sure I do it all right, does it matter what fuse to use for it? Most I've seen use either 3A or 5A.

12 minutes ago, Robjon said:

Please check the specifications of your own dashcams, but two of my BlackViews would draw 2 x 0.33 = 0.66A

So in my case, a 3A fuse would be OK.

I have identical cameras with slightly different branding the DC input is 0.3A (if I'm looking at it right) is this what I should be looking at?

4 minutes ago, Pullock said:

I have identical cameras with slightly different branding the DC input is 0.3A (if I'm looking at it right) is this what I should be looking at?

Yes, that looks right to me :thumbup:

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks to both of you for your help, I take it a 3A should be ok then.

The only other question I have is I saw its handy to remove the side panel of the dash to store the excess cable but how on earth does it come off? Would I need trim removal tools by any chance? 

Yes, trim removal tools are by far the best option.

Once the cover is off, you will see a couple of bulkhead mounting bolts.

On my Roomster, I used one of these bolts to provide the earth (negative) connection to my satnav.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robjon said:

Yes, trim removal tools are by far the best option.

Once the cover is off, you will see a couple of bulkhead mounting bolts.

On my Roomster, I used one of these bolts to provide the earth (negative) connection to my satnav.

Awesome, thank you. Seems like I just need to get everything ordered now. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pullock said:

Awesome, thank you. Seems like I just need to get everything ordered now. Thanks for your help.

Hope I'm not too late...

Is there any particular reason you want to take power to both dashcams from a single point (fusebox)?

It would be more usual to power the rear dashcam by tapping directly off the rear wiper motor.

It's not a job I have done myself, but I understand the rear wiper motor is powered whenever the ignition is switched on.

Try a search - it could save you a lot of work :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Robjon said:

Hope I'm not too late...

Is there any particular reason you want to take power to both dashcams from a single point (fusebox)?

It would be more usual to power the rear dashcam by tapping directly off the rear wiper motor.

It's not a job I have done myself, but I understand the rear wiper motor is powered whenever the ignition is switched on.

Try a search - it could save you a lot of work :thumbup:

I assumed it would be more simple to take power from the fuse box, haven't a clue how to tap in to the rear wiper motor.

But I have ordered everything I need now anyway.

Edited by Pullock