FIXED Rear wash wipe not working

Bugger!

I've just noticed by rear (Estate) wash and wiper do not work at all!

Could be a fuse which I will check later (car at local garage having the once over at this morning), but has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a loose connection? The tailgate does seem to have taken a pounding over the years...

Thnaks again

Edited by Andacami

Strange that both the wiper and washer aren't working.

The lack of a working rear wiper could indeed be down to a dodgy connection between the main body of the car and the tailgate, the micro switches in the lock mechanism do fail quite regularly but these usually result in a loss of boot lights and a permanent warning on the dash of an open boot.

I was on the understanding that the pump for the rear window was the same as the one that feeds the windscreen and is therefore located on the washer bottle under the bonnet so if the rear washer isn't working either then perhaps it is fuse related? Do the front washers work?

Hi @silver1011

Front works just fine, nothing at all at the rear, fuses OK (according to local garage where the car was today for a once over). So this suggests the control arm or control box/circuitry at fault. Could also be failing safe if it is detecting a connectivity fault. I also note that the tailgate unlock from the fob does not work either, you have to unlock the entire car to open the tailgate.

No warning lights on dash either, will double check the lights...

19 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The lack of a working rear wiper could indeed be down to a dodgy connection between the main body of the car and the tailgate, the micro switches in the lock mechanism do fail quite regularly but these usually result in a loss of boot lights and a permanent warning on the dash of an open boot.

Ah! just reread that and having played with maxidot a bit more, this seems spot on. I have no lights in the boot and Maxidot tells me the boot/tailgate is open. So, I need to take apart the lock mechanism and see what can be done to rectify. Anyone able to help with instructions/pictures/workshop manuals...? Also, anyone replaced the microswitches and know the part number/source.

Thanks so much, getting there with your help :)

Unfortunately I don't think the microswitch inside the boot latch is easily accessible, most people swap the whole unit out.

The locks can be picked up on eBay from time-to-time, although I'm not sure if the estate is different to that of the twindoor / hatch...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-3T-Boot-Lock-Mechanism-Boot-Catch-8K9827505A-8K9-827-505-A-/252959288347?hash=item3ae58c6c1b:g:IikAAOSwurZZKEeA

Edited by silver1011

Fixed it :biggrin:

Took apart the lock mechanism, could see that it clicks in twice and it's the second click that properly engages the lock and the micro switch. One can manually do this as there is the emergency escape lever to release it.

I then plugged it back in and hey presto the boot open warning on the maxidot goes out and the wipers and wash work. So...

Thinking about how it all fits together, I took a look at the hook mounting and noticed it's adjustable. Seems that many years of use has pushed the hook too far down. I moved it up about four mil and tightened it down. Then bolted the lock back on, crossed fingers and closed the tailgate. 

It worked perfectly:biggrin:

Three screws hold the plastic and metal trim on, remove those and get it out the way. Pics below show next steps. Thanks for the replies earlier, gave me the confidence too have a go.

594fdcfa586e3_20170625_160329(Large).thumb.jpg.53199e19de19e88297f1180cb2626248.jpg594fdcfc3b2c4_20170625_160323(Large).thumb.jpg.f2715bc99d9f9a091e4da6d766332661.jpg

Edited by Andacami
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Result! Don't you just love free fixes?

Has your spare wheel well been full of water in the past? Looks a little dusty.

Also, is that the OEM spare? I've never seen a skinny space saver in a Skoda before.

Unsure, it is very dusty, looks like sand/cement has gone all over the place. Didn't consider water... I'll have a proper look.

As for the space saver, no idea. I suspect it's not original. It came with it, no tools or jack, or bolt hold in down though. Another post on here seeking info on that...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Andacami - thanks for this.  My Superb 11 Combi is fixed too by moving the lock striker plate upwards.  There was no indication the door wasn't closing properly from the Maxidot or from boot lights staying on (at least as far I am aware on the latter).

Some tips for those doing this job.  You will need a Torx T50 and T20 bit.  The first for the striker plate bolts, the second for the 3 screws which hold on the plastic cover.

First, prop up or remove the spare wheel cover and lift out of the way the foam surround of the wheel well.  This will expose the 3 screws which hold on the plastic cover for the striker plate.  Undo these and prise up starting one end the cover releasing the clips which hold it into the horizontal surface.  Loosen the bolts holding the striker plate and move it upwards about 3-4mm.  Tighten it and close the boot.  If you have left the car locked it should beep at you (if confirmation is on).  Now switch on the wipers including the rear and (hopefully it now works.  My washer worked straightaway but the wiper didn't - ok, I live in a hot country so I went around and freed the blade from the glass.  Presto, working now!

BTW, if you wish to remove the chrome plate from the plastic piece which covers the striker plate, you will see that you need to remove the plastic piece to get at the clips which hold the chrome plate on.

Thanks again.

• Like 1