Columbus Map updates

Thanks Pete,

I had checked that site earlier in year and not got anything, I now see updates are issued 2 times a year and there are now some there.

Will update at weekend.

Smudger

Edited by Smudgers

As a matter of interest how long did it take do download onto SD card & how long to update in the car? The website says up to 8 hours to download & 4 hours to upload depending on your computer/HD card.

Thx Andy

45 minutes ago, andytj427 said:

As a matter of interest how long did it take do download onto SD card & how long to update in the car? The website says up to 8 hours to download & 4 hours to upload depending on your computer/HD card.

Thx Andy

Uploading the Discover Pro in our Golf took about 80 minutes, as for the download, maybe 2 hours, (I wasn't watching.....)

HTH DC

When I have done mine previously it was about 8 hours to download (no superfast broadband here!) and then about 90 mins to copy it into the car plus the car reset time of <1hr.  I use Class 10 xdhc cards.

I also keep a 10A constant current (CTEK) charger connected to the battery.

Took about an hour to download (fast broadband) and 30 minutes for Columbus to do the update (32GB class10 SD).

Note that updating Columbus doesn't need to be done all in one go. You can interrupt it at any time and it will resume from where it was last stopped. All features other than navigation can still be used while it's updating in the background, nor is there any need to 'restart' Columbus.

Impressed that 2017-2018 update already had M3 j2 to j4 stupid smart motorway and they haven't even finished building it yet.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

Strange I seem to have multiple listing of same download ?

ECE 2017/2018 listed twice

ECE 2017 listed once

Edited by Smudgers

6 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Any firmware updates BJ ?

No, just maps.

Firmware is a workshop update and from what I can ascertain it doesn't add or change any features or functions. It seems to only be needed if you have a fault with the infotainment.

• Like 1

There's some conflicting information on the upload site.

During copying of the maps to the hard disk Columbus navigation has to be turned on. During copying the navigation is not available. Due to the large volume of data, the whole process can take up to 4 hours. It also depends on the type of SD card. To complete the update, make sure that the battery is sufficiently charged (if the vehicle is parked, turn off all devices drawing electricity, for example: lights, air conditioning, seats heating, etc.). If necessary, connect the charger to the battery. If the engine shuts down, copying is aborted. When the engine is re-started, copyinf of the data bound to the point where it was interrupted.

Does this mean you have to have the engine running? Do you have to have the ignition switched on all the time, or is it best to just leave the sd card in and let it update as you drive? 

I'm not sure what version firmware or maps I have already. I think I need VCDS to open up a menu or tell be as part of a scan or is there another way to tell - DVD that came with says Europe West (V7). However, should I feel the need, is this set of firmware and maps ok? I won't brick my 60 Plate Superb Estate Elegance Columbus unit will I?

Portal just says " Your navigation can be updated only at the service. Please contact your dealer for more information".

@facetedge

I just put the card in and leave it to run whilst I am driving. The satnav is not available until the whole update has completed (usually about 30 mins of driving). You dont need to do it all in one go either; it will just start from the last stop point each time you switch on the ignition.

That's fine unless you need to use the satnav regularly in which case you may have to do as others have said earlier in the topic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillyJim said:

@Andacami You're in the Superb III forum so you might get more joy in the Superb II or ICE forum.

FYI your Columbus is the VAG RNS510 while the new Superb has the MiB2 Columbus.

Arse! :wacko:

Thanks...