2018 Toledo 1.0 TSI megadeal

Engine noticeably quieter than in the Rapid SE Sport 1.0 I tried a few weeks back.

The Toledo still has underbonnet sound-proofing though, I think Skoda penny-pinched it a while back.

Edited by camelspyyder

16 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Engine noticeably quieter than in the Rapid SE Sport 1.0 I tried a few weeks back.

The Toledo still has underbonnet sound-proofing though, I think Skoda penny-pinched it a while back.

I've noticed a few (fairly subtle) differences to the previous Rapid's I've owned.

I certainly agree the engine is noticeably quieter, although my previous Rapid's both had the 4 cylinder 1.2 TSi 105 BHP engine.

Also the speakers in the car seem much higher quality than before. With the previous cars any bass became distorted a modest volumes, whereas those in the Toledo seem to tolerate much higher volumes, before distorting.

The controls on the steering wheel are taking a bit of getting used to, although the voice control actually works, whereas in the Rapid's it was so poor as to be virtually unusable.

My fuel economy has settled to mid 40's over the first 1k miles, which is a ~10-20% improvement on the older (1.2 cars) I owned. I've seen >60 mpg on the trip computer, but tend to rely on my brim to brim calculations - Fuelly link:  http://www.fuelly.com/car/seat/toledo/2017/pinkpanther/651248

19 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

2 questions.

1.How do you check the Nav system has the latest data?

2.Where do you download all the missing station logos for DAB?

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/how-to-guides/sat-nav

Cheers.

I enquired regarding map updates and it seems SEAT don't operate the free map updates seen in Europe (and in the UK for Skoda, VW and Audi). I assume the new Toledo has a reasonably up-to-date map version installed, but as with any pre-installed system the maps tend to lag a long way behind stand alone units / phones running Google maps etc.

On my old 2014 Rapid I purchased a genuine Skoda SD card online, which upgraded my Amundsen+ system to V9. These were ~£200 from the main dealer, but £40-50 online.

A family member has just taken delivery of a 2015 Fabia and I was frustrated to see how easy it was to update both the maps, and system firmware, using the Skoda portal. This  free service is attached to the car for 3 years and is available for SEAT in Europe:angry:

Many thanks for the tip on DAB logos. All mine are in place bar 2, which was becoming something of an irritation, given my OCD tendencies.

The "Full-Link" activation was quoted at £200 by Westgate (and a few other dealers I enquired at). I've seen the activation disc online from time to time (eBay @~£100). Still undecided if it adds very much, although would like the ability to search using Google and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality.

Edited by pinkpanther
Spelling!

Currently gathering missing radio logos from here:

https://media.info/radio/how-to/radio-station-logos-for-your-volkswagen-or-skoda-radio

Pleased to find my ipod nano 7 (with busted headphone jack and no audio out) works perfectly though the centre console USB socket. The media system has full control over it, which never happened on the 2012-15 vintage Amundsen+ / Seat Media 2.2.

Next search is for a speed camera database to port across. Again the previous media system did not allow this.

MY18 vs MY14 thoughts. 1.0 vs 1.2

Engine more powerful, quieter, and hopefully more economic, but has a narrower torque band.

Better interior quality, more supportive seats, better audio system (even the centre console USB/AUX works properly).

Better handling (not sure about the ride yet)

Much better headlights.

Overall, its very plush compared with both the old Toledo and the MY18 Rapid SE Sport I last drove.

Edited by camelspyyder

29 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

MY18 vs MY14 thoughts. 1.0 vs 1.2

Engine more powerful, quieter, and hopefully more economic, but has a narrower torque band.

Better interior quality, more supportive seats, better audio system (even the centre console USB/AUX works properly).

Better handling (not sure about the ride yet)

Much better headlights.

Overall, its very plush compared with both the old Toledo and the MY18 Rapid SE Sport I last drove.

Agree regarding the narrower torque band - I never ceased to be amazed by the almost "diesel like" low down pull of the 1.2 TSi 4 pot, whereas it's much easier to find the 1.0 3 pot off boost and struggling (at lower RPM's). 

The 1.0 TSi 3 pot is a much more characterful (and free revving) unit though, as well as returning 10-20% better MPG than the older unit(s).

The extra torque also makes itself felt.

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Not finding KESSY particularly intuitive.

I've added the audio beep so I can tell the difference between locking and unlocking.

I've had KESSY for a few years now on my Yeti, so already familiar with it. Despite the reported security issues I appreciate the convenience.

I find if I lock by remote it won't unlock via a touch on the door handle, whereas my Yeti will. Wonder if this is an "updated feature" / quirk / specific to SEAT?

I've had a look on Carista and nothing, barring the number of indicator flashes, can be ammended which cannot also be accessed via the car settings. I was hoping to enable cornering fog lights and dial staging, but no option to do so. I'd enabled these (with Carista) on 2 older Rapids.

Yes, I tried Carista today as well, no speed sensitive wiper option, teardrop wipe, auto side-mirror heat or dial staging. 

Just the central locking beep added so far.

I must email Carista about the other stuff.

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

Yes, I tried Carista today as well, no speed sensitive wiper option, teardrop wipe, auto side-mirror heat or dial staging. 

Just the central locking beep added so far.

I must email Carista about the other stuff.

I emailed them some time ago and they added dial staging for an older (2013) Rapid - bit odd it's missing for the newer Toledo.

The other odd thing is the LED headlight's mean the cornering fogs are deleted (also no option to re-enable in Carista).

It's not Navi System Plus, or VW Discover Pro

It is (choose one) Seat Media System Plus, or Navi System, or VW Discover Media or Discover Nav.

Clear as mud eh?

As for installing, you either try and choose the correct database (free but without updates or pay subscribe) at somewhere like pocketgpsworld.com , and then try and install it in accordance with the SEAT manual (certainly feasible but maybe time consuming)

or (I did) pay an expert £4.99 to send you the latest correct database and simple DIY instructions.

Took 10 minutes to install, and most of that was making a backup copy of my factory Nav SD card before I messed about with it.

PM me for the "expert" contact details if you want them.

Edited by camelspyyder

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

It's not Navi System Plus, or VW Discover Pro

It is (choose one) Seat Media System Plus, or Navi System, or VW Discover Media or Discover Nav.

Clear as mud eh?

As for installing, you either try and choose the correct database (free but without updates or pay subscribe) at somewhere like pocketgpsworld.com , and then try and install it in accordance with the SEAT manual (certainly feasible but maybe time consuming)

or (I did) pay an expert £4.99 to send you the latest correct database and simple DIY instructions.

Took 10 minutes to install, and most of that was making a backup copy of my factory Nav SD card before I messed about with it.

PM me for the "expert" contact details if you want them.

PM'd

• 3 weeks later...

Autotrader ads say only 1 left at £11995

However, Westgate do have 2 Rapid Sport 1.2 Hatchback demonstrators on at only £10990, and also the Spaceback SE Sport 1.0 demo (with just 1k miles) that I drove a few weeks ago at £14990

• 1 month later...

And they're back!

Prospective Rapid buyers may like to know that Westgate are punting better equipped Toledo's out the door for £11995 again, in a choice of colours.

If the location isn't convenient, you can find them elsewhere - there are currently 48 new Toledo Xcellence on Autotrader for 13k or less.