Adding AdBlue

Highlander19

That is just the gallons/litres "adjustment" Tony.

According to Ken there is a read-out for the amount of Adblue required, which obviously wouldn't be on the pre-facelft, and I can't find it.

14 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Yes but change units to litres and it suddenly makes sense and tells you how much you need to totally fill tank. Just put one litre less in for safety as it is overfilling which causes problems as the float gets stuck up.

Float ? What float I was told that it was a sensor as it only reads the lower level of adblue when it reads approximately enough for it to set off the 1500 miles .

29 minutes ago, willpat2 said:

Float ? What float I was told that it was a sensor as it only reads the lower level of adblue when it reads approximately enough for it to set off the 1500 miles .

It seems to know the exact amount required to refill at any time. I read somewhere that overfilling jams the sensor at the top hence causing issues as it has gone out of range leaving the car thinking the tank is empty and hence engine won’t start.

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

It seems to know the exact amount required to refill at any time. I read somewhere that overfilling jams the sensor at the top hence causing issues as it has gone out of range leaving the car thinking the tank is empty and hence engine won’t start.

If the people/ producers are using floats in the 21st century want a good swift kick up the jacksy as how could an off road vehicle which will be going at all types of angles use a float that will get stuck .

2 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Went all though the Maxidot menu this afternoon, and there is no Adblue mention anywhere.

I’ve just been out to my car - FL 150hp Monaco. I’ve been through my maxidot settings and the fuel range came up (145 miles) and the immediate next click to that was “range 3500 miles” No word “adblue “ mentioned but a graphic symbol which is a bottle of adblue pouring. I cannot find anywhere where the quantity of adblue required is mentioned but I do have a place where the quantity of fuel required to fill up in gallons is displayed.

The above are facts. Now for sheer speculation. I remember some time back when playing with my carista obd device (mini poor mans vcds) that it gave me the option to have the fuel required display on the maxidot and I chose to have it. It was not there until I did that (I don’t think). Could it be that by the remotest chance that action enabled the adblue range display as well. Pure speculation as I cannot recollect if the adblue display was originally there. Just trying to help !!!

Not on a Yeti, but what might be expected to show. 

This is with a 17 litre AdBlue tank. Would take 10.2 litres to fill.

DSCN3540.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

I do remember that from previous threads on this topic that later cars were reported as having the number of miles of Adblue able to be displayed in the Maxidot whereas earlier Euro 6 cars like mine, May 2015, it only becomes visible when the range is less than 1500 miles.

I said that I wished that mine had the selectable constant display but in reality I've not been that bothered with the warning coming up three times now.

I use the VW Adblue and with the VW accessory hose it literally takes minutes to refill the tank and not a drop spilt.

Can't believe the fuss and concerns we were having over Adblue but I guess that can be true of anything new!

With the ensuing dieselgate I'm sure glad I've got the "problem" of Adblue now! :)

My car has a display as above. The Yeti tank seems to take around 6lt total. I put about 5lt in when it said I had 1000 miles left

If you change the units to km and litres the min and max amount needed makes more sense when displayed in litres.

Yes it does but I'm surprised given when you bought yours.

But as you say it's no real problem though I suppose it would be nice to have a look and see the distance counting down now and again to see that it's working OK.

With ours (unless there's some other warning) and the sensor etc. isn't working the first we might know of a problem is when it won't start!

Must admit I haven't always waited for the warning and just put a couple of litres in.

Don't forget that it wasn't bought new, but was just under 6 months old when I got it.

I've beem keeping a note of when the tank has been filled, so have a check with that.

Edited by Llanigraham

• 8 months later...

Graham, on my 2017 SE L there is no option on the Maxidot display menu specifically for Adblue.  However, if I tick "Range" on the Maxidot display menu then I get two range screens when I cycle through the Maxidot display: one has a little petrol pump icon and tells me how far I can go with the fuel left in the fuel tank, the other has a little pouring bottle icon and tells me how far the I can go with the Adblue left in the Adblue tank.  It's that second display that tells me how much Adblue is needed to top the tank up.  As kenfowler3966 says, if the Maxidot is set to imperial units then the quantity it shows in gallons is not very precise, but when the Maxidot is set to metric then the litres figures shown are rather more useful.

If your Maxidot doesn't display the Adblue range as well as the fuel range then it would seem that the Adblue range function was a later addition to the Maxidot functionality.

I buy a 10 lt refill from Sainsbury, and when it starts saying 1500 miles or less when  start the car, put 5lt in. It is not completely full, but leaves 5lt in the container for next time.

As it is very dificult to get the nozle in the tank with the container full without spilling some, I have now kept the old empty one so I can half fill it from the next new container. With the container only half full it is much easier to get the hose in to the tank without a spil

I buy a 10 lt refill from Sainsbury, and when it starts saying 1500 miles or less when  start the car, put 5lt in. It is not completely full, but leaves 5lt in the container for next time.

As it is very dificult to get the nozle in the tank with the container full without spilling some, I have now kept the old empty one so I can half fill it from the next new container. With the container only half full it is much easier to get the hose in to the tank without a spil

• 1 month later...

Buy a Sealey TP80 from Amazon!  It's a battery operated transfer pump with auto cut-off.  £20 and makes topping up the Adblue quick and spill free.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:56, farty said:

Buy a Sealey TP80 from Amazon!  It's a battery operated transfer pump with auto cut-off.  £20 and makes topping up the Adblue quick and spill free.

Just bought one, saves lifting a 20l container.

M

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 18:09, farty said:

Remember to flush it with fresh water after use to prevent crystals of urea forming on the impeller.

Thought of that and did it, very effective device power by 2 AA batteries.

M

• 2 years later...